SOME COOL MidMod HOME for sale that sold!!!

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

smogcity
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

SOME COOL MidMod HOME for sale that sold!!!

Postby smogcity » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:35 pm

:cheers:

~title temporarily reposted by futura girl on 3-12-08
Last edited by smogcity on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

smogcity
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Buy Me!!

Postby smogcity » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:11 pm

*** *** Just reduced $300,000 *** ***
Now $999,000 with room to negotiate!!
This will be open Sunday March 9th 2-5pm, come take a look!

smogcity
Modern Socialite

Postby smogcity » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:35 pm

In escrow :D
Thanks for looking

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:44 pm

if you sold it through a lead here on lotta living, please send a thank you gratuity donation.

smogcity
Modern Socialite

Postby smogcity » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:00 pm

Last edited by smogcity on Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdamB
Modern Socialite

Postby AdamB » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:31 pm

I'm guessing she's not asking you to give half your commision away or anything but rather if you find that business is good AND you think that this site is helpful to your business they could use a few bucks.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:07 pm

I don't like the listing removed. What's up with that? Now they do expire.
They are often dead when you click them, but the link removed from here?

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:24 pm

it is sad, but the future of the internet is advertising. If a site like this can survive on passion and mini help, we will
not see pop-up crud. If i can bare a yard-sale this spring rather than take it to a sal army, i'll donate it to LL.
(but i need to convince the 12 yr old neighbor to tend it) i'm never up to neighborhood chatter...

it is always welcome to see real estate for sale. and the chance to get it in good hands...
but just a little plug if it is sold from here and a small donation is not such a odd request. I think our host is just
hoping that if such occurs, someone might think of a small recognition and a little help. just a reminder, not a
big deal really.
most of us have our homes, but a larger voyeur market is searching...and searching here.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:20 pm

Iguessyoubannedme?
Modern Groupie

Postby Iguessyoubannedme? » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:13 am

Just a few thoughts on this new policy…To start, I fully support you right to run the site as you see fit. When in another’s home, abide by that Home’s rules. With that said:

My issue with your new policy requesting Brokers and Agents to give you a finders fee when posting here under threat of Karma damage are…

First, a real estate agent is prohibited in paying a referral or finders fee to anyone not a licensed broker. It’s an ethics violation subject to an ethics hearing.

Second, the web is littered with the remains of failed attempts to charge the end users. The successes are Craigslist, Google, ect. Who feel That free content is the key to success.

Third, I have felt that posting appropriate Mid-Century listings on this site was a benefit to your readers. I also feel that this IS THE content that draws readers to this site.

Thus when you posted on one of my threads a request for your cut, I was taken aback. It was received as warmly as would be Lott Livin’ receiving a request for compensation from a realtor for your posting his listing/photos without permission, in breach of copywrite laws.

I have pulled my listings from the site including my latest Gregory Ain in Altadena. I have numerous special listings coming on shortly that your readers would find interesting that will not be posted. It’s a difficult time in the market for all now, and trying to shake down the agents who provide appropriate content seems counter productive.

Just my (newly banned) 2cents...

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:40 pm

Last edited by Futura Girl on Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:51 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:44 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:54 pm

Last edited by Futura Girl on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:55 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:02 pm

spinsLPs
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby spinsLPs » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:34 pm

You know what? I'm so worked up over this guy, that I'd like to donate to the cause, but when I click on the donate button, it takes me right back to where I was.

Am I doing something wrong here?

~ edited by futura girl on 3-19-2008 to remove personal information.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:07 pm

thank you so much spinslps.

something is up with that link on both the viewforum and the viewtopic pages? maybe a magical leprecahn can fix it!

it does work from the index page...
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/index.php

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:38 am

As an industry-type person I feel somewhat compelled to comment here.

The fact is, in CA, it is perfectly legal to pay a referral fee to unlicensed party, provided the entity receiving the referral fee is not providing any services for which a license would be required. IMO, an internet forum where agents can (under their own identity) publish listing information, would pass this test without an issue. To me this little different from advertising that is contingent upon results. However, care must be taken that Futura Girl, as site owner, refrains from any activity that would require a license. Many activities that people pursue as a matter of sharing opinions (ie: stating they think the house could be obtained for X dollars or providing real estate advice of anykind) would suddenly be illegal if those people were being paid to do so. In practicality, it's difficult to gauge how aggressively the Department of Real Estate would pursue that, but I would think a safe bet is that the moment Futura Girl adopts a plan to accept any referral fee, she would have to cease commenting on pricing, market conditions, or anything else concerning properties listed on the site under a referral fee agreement.

Whew...to avoid that messiness, here's what I propose:

There seems to be 4 types of users on Lotta Livin':

The Casual Visitors - NonCommercial: These folks frequently post either very infrequently or we see them once and never hear from them again.

The "Regulars" - NonCommercial: These members are here regularly and routinely post not only with their own questions but respond frequently to others as well.

Product / Service Vendors - Commercial: These members may post a little or a lot, but it is almost always in reference to listing a property for sale or a new product available.

Casually Commercial - SemiCommercial: These members are here regularly and participate in businesses related to the forum. However, the majority of their forum activity is non-commercial with the occasional personal plug or real estate listing.

First off, I think that those with any commercial interests should have an identifier as part of their ID that identifies them as a vendor (though I've never liked that particular word). Secondly, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some type of compensation from those who use the site primarily for profit and generally take more than they put in. We may want to have dual approach. These users can either choose to have an account fee (ie: $100/yr) or they can pay per product / service / house "for-sale" posting (maybe $10 - $20). Any agent serious about marketing a property would have no qualms about spending $20 to put it in front of focused buyers.

For people in the "Casually Commercial" category I think Futura Girl should determine whether she thinks they are here as a member first and business user second or vice versa. If it's the former, they keep a free account but are encouraged to donate if something big comes from LL. If it's the latter would be bumped to commercial status and either pay membership or pay per posting.

I don't know how much LL costs to run but I'd imagine this could help defray the costs somewhat.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:16 pm

siobhanmarie
Modern Socialite

Postby siobhanmarie » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:54 am

after reading this thread, i'd like to know what happened to good manners and the ability to say "thank you"?

i was compelled to post after running into a similar situation regarding a house for sale that i posted on this forum. my neighbors were selling their original mid century home last summer, and had a pretty clueless realtor. after several months, and no deal, i decided to pop into one open house and take some flattering photos and post a very detailed listing here on lotta livin'. my neighbor informed her realtor that i was doing this. needless to say, the house was sold within about 6 weeks. i found out from my new neighbors that they had found this house here, and hadn't even been looking in this area. chances are next to nil that they would have found it at all without my post. as a matter of fact, they said the one thing that made them drive across los angeles to see the house was my photo of the front door escutcheon! seeing as how the house sold for over $800,000, this realtor made a tidy sum of money. i never even got so much as a thank you call. if i were the realtor, i would have brought over a nice bottle of wine, a card or SOMETHING. i have a sneaking suspicion that maybe she thought if she thanked me, it was somehow an admission that she had not done her job well. anyways, i just don't understand that behavior at all. also, i did post the house for somewhat selfish reasons, and wanted a sympathetic buyer, and thought it might help my neighbors out in a tough market too. whatever. i am VERY HAPPY with my new neighbors, and will take that as payment enough. but a thank you still would have been nice...Miss Manners, where are you when we need you!

5280mod
Modern Socialite

Postby 5280mod » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:03 am

Stephen, while the State of California may not have a problem with Realtors paying referral/finder fees to unlicensed parties, the Dept of HUD does. Per federal RESPA statutes:

"It is illegal for anyone to accept a fee or part of a fee for services if that person has not actually performed settlement services for the fee."

HUD applies a very broad interpretation of this statute and will give you a friendly warning ONCE...then it's time to find a really good attorney. Perhaps SmogCity has just taken a RESPA class and was feeling sensitive to this?!

That said, there is nothing wrong with contributing to LL as an advertising vehicle which drives traffic to another website, etc. Which is exactly how I (as a Realtor) interpreted FuturaGirl's comment. (Now I just need some money to put where my mouth is... :wink: )
Shannon Stanbro
720.279.4884 Cell
877.713.1110 Toll Free
www.5280mod.com

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:36 am

Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

5280mod
Modern Socialite

Postby 5280mod » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:31 am

Shannon Stanbro

720.279.4884 Cell

877.713.1110 Toll Free

www.5280mod.com

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:36 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:40 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:02 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:49 pm

You have to take out a full page in Variety and say you are sorry. Opps, wrong business. :oops:

doctore
Modern Socialite

Postby doctore » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:51 pm

Looking back though the postings it is interesting to read smog's delight at his listing and the fact that his listing was, OMG, "in Escrow!!"

My own 2 cents... that was NOT a "shakedown" at all. Geez, talk about getting the actual meaning and the literal meaning all screwed up when it doesn't favor your "karma."

He looks, from his website, to have sold a bunch of expensive houses in what he calls a "difficult market." Good for him. Sure, a tip would be the right thing to do, but then again, so would saying "thank you." Instead we get a boastful email about how, "ONE SOLD!!!"

If you ask me, Futura Girl could not have handled it any better. There are about a thousand other things that this site brings me here for besides the real estate listings. Sure, they are nice, but not at that expenense.
:cheers:

post50modern

Postby post50modern » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:26 pm

I have been watching this post and was hesitant about diving in with my 2 cents. I truly enjoy the real estate posts as it gives me an idea of what is available and in what area. Also...I just enjoy getting a peak inside of modern homes across the country.

There seems to be a debate about tipping or throwing a bone to the website as a way of saying thanks. From what I can tell, realtors who put their listings on this site have not been doing so.

Futuragirl, I realize that you have said you do not want to charge for real estate listings on this website. Why not? Real estate agents make hefty commissions of the sale of a property. Their reasoning for that hefty commission is marketing costs. Isn't listing your home on a website considered marketing? Surely a realtor making a 3-6% commission on the sale of a home could afford $20 or so to post an real estate ad on your site.

Your site is a dream for them as they are marketing to the very specific group of people who are looking for the homes they are trying to sell. Try finding a more focused niche on Yahoo, Craigslist, Zillow, Google Etc. It WON'T happen.

Look at it this way. You have ads by google on your site for furniture sites, design sites, etc. You receive a small amount of money for click throughs to those google ads. WHY does google give you a portion of the money? Because you are delivering a VERY targeted audience to their adwords clients.

Why not use the same logic for real estate ads? I know there are some "non-realtor" people who post a listing on the site as a service to people looking for houses. It would be my guess that realtors are posting on your site to make money. PERIOD.

Make them pay to post OR free with link to listing. Once they start listing their home phone, cel number, office number, website, open house dates and locations etc. it becomes advertising. NOT informational. And there is no reason why you should not make a few bucks for the work you put into this site.

Feel free to delete this post. I just wanted to put in my two cents. You are doing a wonderful job with this site. I visit it every single day.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”