Battle Creek. MI underpriced MCM gem (in the rough) $55,000

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mark A
Modern Fan

Battle Creek. MI underpriced MCM gem (in the rough) $55,000

Postby Mark A » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:48 am

If I wasn't stuck in CA, I would have snatched this one up fast.

This unusual, one-of-a-kind modern home in Battle Creek MI is truly a gen in the rough. Battle Creek is my home town and I was browsing some Real Estate site when I stumbled upon it. I know this neighborhood well and it is beautiful. Most of the homes have multiple lots, it is heavily wooded and the fence-less lawns blend into each other. It's like homes in a park.

This is the ugly duckling among fine homes and it needs some curb appeal and paint.

The home has been on the marked for about 3.5 months. It was built in 1958. It has a new main bathroom and kitchen and a new torch-down roof, central air and about 1/2 acre.

The reasons it hasn't sold:
-the economy
-only two bedrooms
-only one and 1/2 baths
-carport instead of garage

Another reason it hasn't sold is the price, it's too low. Anyone looking for a home in a great neighborhood doesn't get that far down the list, they stop in the 150k range.

I did a 3D model study of the home and have included a link (below) to rendering of what this catch can be with a little help.

Please save this gem from a tasteless demise.

Here is a link to the listing with photos

Here is a link to my renderings

Thanks
Last edited by Mark A on Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ch » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:05 am

Amazing. A house for less than the cost of many people's cars (not mine!)

I'm no math expert, but it seems you couldn't buy a piece of land and build for this amount, let alone a great little house like this.

home_boy
Modern Master

Re: underpriced MCM gem (in the rough) in Michigan $55,000

Postby home_boy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:30 am

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:47 am

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

thomasbernardo
Modern Groupie

Postby thomasbernardo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:50 pm

Wow if Michigan wasn't so economically dead, that would make a great summer house.

Too bad I'm stuck here in FL, desperately trying to sell...
What we too easily attain, we too lightly esteem.

jessesgirl
Modern Socialite

Postby jessesgirl » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:29 pm

Great lines and I love your renderings... $55K is the tax bill on some houses in the NE! Hope someone with an appreciation of this place picks it up!

Mark A
Modern Fan

Postby Mark A » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:04 pm

The economy in Michigan is dead, however Battle Creek is very stable. Battle Creek is the world's HQ for Kellogg's. There is also a Post plant and a Ralston plant there. The Cereal business isn't going to dwindle.

thomasbernardo
Modern Groupie

Postby thomasbernardo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:07 am

Ah, cereal dollars, nice.

But that doesn't get me out of FL!! aaaarggh! (here's my house...) http://www.iggyshouse.com/Property/178783
What we too easily attain, we too lightly esteem.

classic form

Postby classic form » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:30 am

"I'm not dead...I'm feeling better"

Don't be so quick to sign the death certificate. I'm guessing that in a matter of a few decades people will be leaving their houses to rot away to nothing in many states and high tailing it up to where the water is. There are also two very distinct Michigans, Detroit/surrounding areas and all the rest. If the house were in Grand Rapids it would be mine by now (it would cut down my commute by 1hr).

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:01 am

it would almost be worthwhile to disemble and move that house to a better location....

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”