Los Feliz, CA - Corey and Roswell

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Pas A. Dena
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Los Feliz, CA - Corey and Roswell

Postby Pas A. Dena » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:32 pm

Zowie! Looks pretty dadburned original. 8-)

3787 AMESBURY RD LOS ANGELES, CA 90027
Price: $1,049,000
Beds: 2
Baths: 2
MLS#: 08-264267
Architectural time capsule c. 1960. First offering ever. The Stein Residence; Corey and Roswell, architects. A "T" hallway separates public, private and service areas simply and elegantly under an over-sized gable that opens to views of the city below and distant mountains. 2+2+convertible den. Probate; court confirmation required. A post-and-beam treasure in unspoiled, original condition.

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:42 pm

I believe it is going to be open this Sunday. The price is very low for the neighborhood it is in.

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:46 pm

Saw this house today. It is in amazing condition considering it's age. One could literally clean well, slap a coat of fresh paint on it and move in.

It was the home of composer Herman Stein who passed away a year ago at 91 years old. Stein composed music for horror films and various tv shows. His wife Anita played viola for the LA Philharmonic. She passed away in 2001. They have no heirs.

The house has a shared driveway with another house. The drive comes up between the two houses and the front entries of the houses face each other. The other house is also mid century architectural but the broker didn't know if by the same architects. The view is out across the edge of Griffith Park towards Glendale. The bedroom wing of the house has windows all along that side but the view is obscured by foliage on a vacant lot. If the foliage was cut back, there would be downtown LA views from the bedrooms.

The potential problem with the property is the vacant lot, as well as two other lots behind it. All three belong to one person who apparently thought or thinks he should have an easement for a driveway across just below the patio on the all glass side of the house to get to his lots. Mr. Stein and the lot owner never resolved their differences. A new owner is likely to have to deal with that issue.

If I had a million burning a hole in my pocket, I would buy this house in a heartbeat. I'd scrap off the popcorn ceilings. I'd have to do something with the kitchen. I love that it is original but in reality, I like to cook too much to be able to live with it as is. I would do something that preserved the original layout and look but updated it for today's cooking.

scotty
Modern Fan

Postby scotty » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:26 pm

Pal George
Modern Socialite

Postby Pal George » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:36 pm

I too visited and it's incredibly well preserved. with no heirs I wonder who got the interior furnishings, it's completely void of any now.

The potential hurdle will be the easement cutting through the lot just below the house previously commented on. The remnants of the a driveway are there and chained off, but the evidence of that driveway makes it a "known" issue and can possibly be challenged in court by the hostile neighbor who may have had use of it for the last 48 years with this property owners acknowledgment. Could get messy.

This and a probate sale, not fun.

jonu
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Location: Franklin Hills (Los Feliz), LA CA and Palm Springs CA

Postby jonu » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:03 am

Open House today (April 6th) between 2pm and 5pm.

If you plan to check this out, there are some other interesting open houses nearby:

1746 Hollyvista (Franklin Hills), $850K

-Jon

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”