Beverly Hills, Anybody know this house?

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Beverly Hills, Anybody know this house?

Postby nichols » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:53 am

From modcommer Tim:

There's a gorgeous mc-mod residence at 1360 Summitridge Place in BH apparently slated for demolition. The recently posted sign announces a hearing on April 28 - long after the fact. Anyone know anything about this house?

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:07 pm

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:54 pm

Looks like a very nice Richard Dorman:

Don't know the present status.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:25 pm

According to the City of BH site, the planning commission had this property on their agenda for April 24th, including a bus ride up to the house.

"Request for a Hillside R-1 Permit for view preservation, an accessory structure within 100 feet of the front lot line and walls in the front yard."

It was approved with conditions.

I found another sales listing where the house was described as "original condition" and as an "as is" trust sale. It doesn't look too bad in the photos but doesn't look like a $5+ million property either.

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:20 pm

I went and found this house this morning. I did not trespass so only can relay what is visible from the street. The house looks really rough. There is plywood over all the openings and the roof appears to be sagging in places. The landscaping does not appear to have been maintained for a long time. It is an amazing piece of land with head on views towards Century City. If it were clear today, one could probably see the ocean. I suspect the 5.4m sale price last year was land value (it is almost 3 acres of prime BHPO).

There is a posted sign about the planning commission hearing on April 24th that I mentioned in my earlier post. There is a separate sign from the middle of June (I think dated 6/16) that reads "demolition/construction" will commence on or after that date. That sign does say "2 story house" and lists Marmol-Radziner as the architects. I don't know if that means they are going to knock down the entire single story Dorman and start from scratch or just part of it.

Perhaps Tony can shed more light since he has the listing for Leo Marmol's DHS prefab?

I'll try to get back up there this weekend with my camera.

blackrose
Modern Groupie

Postby blackrose » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:11 pm

Don't know anything about the actual house (but judging from the aerials it must've been gorgeous in its heyday), but it was home to the writer Irving Stone, who wrote the Agony & the Ecstasy and Lust for Life.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:10 pm

From ModCommer Tim:
It is with great sadness that I report that the former Irving Stone residence at 1360 Summitridge Place by Richard Dorman was finally demolished this week. I just watched the last of the rubble being taken away this morning and the lot scraped clean. Given Marmol Radziner's preservation credentials on the Kaufmann House, it's hard to imagine how they justified destroying this beautiful home. I trust they'll build something good and enduring that will make this loss worthwhile.

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:04 pm

It appears Jean (Mrs. Irving) Stone just passed away in 2004. I wonder if the house declined in her later years and then was empty for the past 4 years? It certainly looked abandoned when I went up there.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:51 pm

Now one wonders if the house was ever photographed for publication; this would be the only way to enjoy it now.

As the home of a celebrity (by coincidence, I'm watching the last bit of "Lust for Life" at this moment), there is a better than usual chance of this having happened -- don't you suppose ? A Hollywood profile, or an Arch Digest piece, for instance ?

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:28 am

There seem to be a decent number of Richard Dorman houses in Southern California. I wonder if there is an owners group that might know? It was obvious that the house was amazing at one time and the location is spectacular. I'd be willing to live in a travel trailer if it was sitting on that piece of land. 8-)

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:48 am

Via ModCommer Regina
Last edited by nichols on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Botany500
Modern Socialite

Postby Botany500 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:13 pm

Wow. That is (or was) spectacular.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

RD

Postby modfan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:57 am

Richard Dorman did some homes in Huntington Harbour.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:31 pm

Via ModCommer Regina:

Pal George
Modern Socialite

Postby Pal George » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:44 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:49 pm

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:03 am

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Chimay » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:37 am

Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:50 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:57 am

The property this house sat on was right on the border of Los Angeles and Beverly Hills. The house was in Beverly Hills, which has absolutely no provision for historic preservation in their city code. Beverly Hills is almost a lost cause when it comes to preservation.

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:09 am

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:47 am

Beverly Hills does not have a Historic Preservation ordinance. Many cities don't, unfortunately. Without an ordinance a city has no authority to block a demolition because of the historic nature of the property.

In Rancho Mirage, a few years ago, the Richard Neutra-designed Maslon House was demolished a month after a new owner bought it. Rancho Mirage did not then have such an ordinance and so the demolition permit was done over the counter with no review. Now they have something of an ordinance. But even then, that ordinance did not prevent the awful remodel of the Welton Becket-designed McCulloch house.

Curiously, while Beverly Hills does not have an ordiance, they have commissioned historic site surveys. Strange.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer

www.glassandsteel.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”