Northridge, CA Palmer & Krisel MCM Living Conditioned H

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Thu May 28, 2009 7:31 pm

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Miguel » Fri May 29, 2009 7:04 am

sparklegem
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby sparklegem » Fri May 29, 2009 8:55 am

We stopped by the house this morning and it is locked up tight. The house has a nice alley that runs along behind it; so that is where we started. It has a very secure steel rolling gate and a concrete block wall that blocked all views of what was beyond. I climbed on top of shopping cart that was abandoned there to see what was over the wall. The back yard has a driveway from the gate, a garage or carport and some kind of courtyard. The doors were all open in the back. I could not see the pool.

The front of the house had many of it's original clerestory windows, although one had been replaced. The house has a butterfly roof (!!). There is some fabulous cmu block at the entry and on the front of the house. The front door has been replaced and there was an unoriginal support column at the front door. There are some great palm trees in the front and a jumble of other plants that should be removed. There was strong odor of cat urine outside.

I would sure like to see the inside!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri May 29, 2009 9:15 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri May 29, 2009 9:17 am

sparklegem
Modern Master

Postby sparklegem » Fri May 29, 2009 11:40 am

Perks

Postby Perks » Fri May 29, 2009 12:30 pm

I long suspected that this house was the original model, given its location along the more major thoroughfare plus that magazine spread I came across. (Contrary to today's model homes, which tend to be in the most secluded/picturesque areas of the tract, models of the 1950s were typically placed along the most noticeable routes.)

Joe -- sure, two simultaneous home restorations would be no problem. :wink: If I did have the funds, I'd be buying in the same tract instead. I looked at this house when it was on the market in mid-2007 for $560k. LOVED the floor plan, and it's not on a busy streat. Apparently it wound up sitting on the market til December 2008 when it sold for $373k. I don't know why it's back on the market because I'm pretty sure it wasn't a short sale/foreclosure (the lady who owned it had lived there for decades) at that time. Anyway, that one's in escrow again. Hopefully to a good owner.

Gem -- the $605k sale price in 2008 was the foreclosure sale. That shows you how bad the banks are doing right now--they're so overloaded with foreclosures that this one has been sitting empty for nearly a year. The last "real" sale was $720k in 2005. $365k is nearly a 50% drop -- ouch!!

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Sat May 30, 2009 5:28 pm

squeaky
Modern Socialite

Postby squeaky » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:29 am

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. I've been scoping out this message board because I've been trying to find a MCM home to buy in the LA area.

Sorry, I'm new to the whole real estate market and was wondering why the house on Resada is so cheap? From the pics from the old mag, it looks to be a great home. Second question is why no one is allowed inside to see it? I suspect this is a serious fixer, if so, does anyone have contractors they can refer? How much do you think it would be fix it up?

Thanks!

sparklegem
Modern Master

Postby sparklegem » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:56 am

Welcome to Lotta Living, evechan!
I was able to take a tour of the Reseda Living Conditioned Home last week. It is definitely a fixer but not beyond repair and very much worth restoring! The CMU block is fantastic and continues inside. The fireplace is really cool athough it does have a cover over it but I think that it could be easily removed. There are orignal cabinets and newer cabinets in the kitchen The tile is original and is the same color way that is in our original Living Conditioned house. There is an original tub in the bath. There are some original cabinets in the hallway, too. The layout is has not been changed. Most original clerestories remain. Many of the original windows and exterior doors have been changed. The flooring is now a tile. The pool is fabulous but may need some work (don't they always?). The landscaping just need a good visit form the gardener. There are fantastic mature tropicals and it could be a very cool yard if just trimmed up and mowed. The carport has been glassed in and has a large broken pane. The house backs onto an alley and has a very secure rolling steel door.

It is a great house. It is very dirty and it is on Reseda. I know that there have been tons of people in there looking. There is almost always a realtor there when we drive by. I think that it is the fantastically low price that is attracting all kinds of buyers. It would be super to get someone in there that cares about the house and is will to restore it.

squeaky
Modern Socialite

Postby squeaky » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:13 am

Thanks for the info!

My real estate agent just called and the house has already been snapped up by someone. :( Hope they will respect the original integrity of the house and restore it.

I will keep looking. This is a great forum!

sparklegem
Modern Master

Postby sparklegem » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:33 am

hope so , too! I will post here if another one pops up in our neighborhood. We would love to have Lotta Livin-ites as neighbors.

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Postby babyblue65bird » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:39 pm

Grim story involving the house on Blackhawk St.:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/WOMAN%27S ... a083400035
Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

sparklegem
Modern Master

Postby sparklegem » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:10 pm

that is really awful. I am not sure why you would want to post that

Perks

Postby Perks » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:48 pm

Oh no! That's awful. I met Mary, and she was the sweetest lady. Led a very fascinating life. What a tragedy to have lost her sister in such a way.

Perks

Postby Perks » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:33 pm

Another Living Conditioned Home hit the market a few days ago:

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Northridge/184 ... me/5819064

A front courtyard model (which is a great layout) that seems to be in pretty original condition, save for the jacuzzi room...

Mr. Charlie
Modern Socialite

Postby Mr. Charlie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:05 pm

Perks

Postby Perks » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:33 am

This one is the A3.

The floor plan is slightly different than shown on the brochure, in that 1) the entire plan is reversed, 2) the garage is in front of, rather than next to, the house, 3) the fireplace has a different orientation, and 4) the front courtyard (which was standard for that elevation) is not shown on the layout.

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Postby babyblue65bird » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:47 am

sparklegem
Modern Master

Postby sparklegem » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:56 am

Perks

Postby Perks » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:00 pm

That was not I, SoftSupply, though I wish I'd had the chance to see the house! The pictures looked very, very promising. Hopefully it goes to a respectful buyer.

P.S. Hi Gem! I forgot to mention that the magazine fairy seems to have come by and left a bunch of stuff at my front door a few weeks ago...Any idea who might have done that? :wink:

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Postby babyblue65bird » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:03 am

I spent about 30 minutes there during the open house. The house is in fantastic condition and very original. The jacuzzi room is a separate structure in the back yard, with a very cleverly engineered retractable jacuzzi cover. I believe the owner was an aerospace engineer, based on the space shuttle component drawings on the wall in the bedroom office.

I didn't have my camera with me unfortunately, but the house was every bit as original as the one on San Jose that was on the market last year, but meticulously maintained and clean. Globe pendant in the kitchen, triple 8" globe fixture in the dining room; original color porcelain toilets (which will probably go the way of the dodo due to the low gpf retrofit requirements). I really hope the buyer is "one of us" and doesn't muck it up. It really only needs some paint touchup. Even the gold shag rug in the living room is spotless!

JCC1
Modern Groupie

Postby JCC1 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:07 pm

Perks

Postby Perks » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:32 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”