Woodland Hills, CA - Van Dekker House by Schindler

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Woodland Hills, CA - Van Dekker House by Schindler

Postby Josquin » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:12 pm

Here's the listing:
http://losangeles.tvoa.net/address.php?property_ID=1350

See this previous discussion about the condition:
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2513

valleycat
Modern Groupie

Postby valleycat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:45 pm

I visited the house 1 1/2 year ago and it is in terrible condition. Unless there's an architectural adventurer with a serious commitment to Schindler and deep, deep pockets, this house is in danger. The part of the valley where it's located -- Woodland Hills, south of the boulevard -- is a center for teardowns and new McMansions.

How to keep this light hearted and positive? There are some beautiful spaces, great woodwork and built-ins, and awesome stonework in the house. Perhaps that will capture a buyer's imagination. That's my hope!

I doubt the house has any historic designation. Does anyone know?

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:11 pm

Been waiting for this one for a long time. The house is in near derelict condition - must be an interesting social history to the place post Van Dekker. (Wasn't he the actor with the kinky "suicide?) How does this happen to a house?

Upside is the potential for a major restoration of high visibility and all the kudos that would go along with it. After the Rodakiewicz house in Beverly Hills (long remuddled) I think this was Schindler's next largest house?

Let's hope someone with deep pockets gets on board here. It would be a crime to lose a Schindler designed house in 2009.

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:32 pm

7 bd/4ba in 2300 square feet? How does that happen?

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

kind ot

Postby modfan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:12 am

but alluded to with the teardown comment......
Does that big chunk of property to the east-what looks like a sizable citrus grove is that in any preserve status or is this an old google map photo, I didn't think there was property like that left in the SFV, is it some celebs compound or something? It's about where Corbin dead ends. It'd be kinda sad to see that go into McMansions (perhaps maybe not right now as the re mkt. is in recession).

Josquin

Van Dekker Plan

Postby Josquin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:51 am

Here is the plan of the Van Dekker House. There are two bedrooms on the first floor, four on the second floor and one on the third floor. They are described by Schindler as two guest rooms, nurse, maid, two child's rooms and one bedroom. The maid and the nurse rooms are really small at approximately 10' x 6'.

jeffgent
Modern Socialite

Albert Dekker bio

Postby jeffgent » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:56 pm

Here is a link to a bio of the former actor/owner and it seems that he died a rather kinky death.... I wonder if it happen in this house???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Dekker

ch

Postby ch » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:00 pm

This is going to be a real tough sale. I read on another board that the current owner is a recluse. The interior can only be seen with an offer. Reports are that the place is a complete wreck including missing windows!

There's always hope though. Remember what the two Neutra's in Palm Springs used to look like?

verydarkcherry
Modern Groupie

Re:Woodland Hills, CA - Van Dekker House by Schindler

Postby verydarkcherry » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:36 pm

There's a "new" listing for this place that's just appeared on redfin, has some (what appear to be) current pictures, looks like it needs a fair bit of loving to bring it back ...
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Woodland-Hills/19950-Collier-St-91364/home/4154255

hope there's someone with enough heart ,elbow grease and cash to do it!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:38 pm

wow, that place looks really bad!

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:30 pm

Wow! And they want $700,000 for it. Were it not a Schindler, the value would only be in the land. I can't imagine anyone being able to get a loan for a house in that condition. It seems a rather desperate situation. It needs a savior with some deep pockets.

verydarkcherry
Modern Groupie

Postby verydarkcherry » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:40 am

looks like there's an open house scheduled for this weekend for any brave souls with a strong stomach :wink:

Sunday, August 23, 2009 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM

ch

Postby ch » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:36 pm

Will someone please try to go and report back to us whether or not this house could be saved or if it is past the point of no return?

Would love to see some interior photos if possible.

Perks

Postby Perks » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:32 pm

I'm going to try to make it over there on Sunday. The photos are definitely discouraging. I suppose almost anything could be saved...Question is, at what cost?
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner
Perkins Realty Group

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:24 am

Whatever became of LACMA's plan to acquire important modern houses in L.A the way they do painting and sculpture? I guess I can answer my own question: "It's the economy, stupid!" Anyway, it was one of Michael Govan's best ideas. Only an institution like LACMA or a showbiz billionaire could afford to acquire and restore it without regard to cost and for the greater good. Hey Eli Broad, David Geffen, Brad Pitt...one of you step forward!
Last edited by home_boy on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:15 am

Or one of those folks (or several) could give the MAK center or the Friends of the Schindler House a few mil so they can do it.

Perks

Postby Perks » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:12 pm

Toured the house today. To say that it's in poor condition is a grotesque understatement. There were surfaces I was afraid to touch, and floors I was afraid to walk on.

That said, what a fantastic place and what a treat to get to tour such an amazing house! I could easily see the potential here.

On the plus side, I didn't see any overt indication of major structural problems. The house is definitely salvageable, at least for someone with deep enough pockets.

Pix to follow shortly.

Perkins Realty Group

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:36 pm

That looks really bad.
Any history on how this happened? Family squabble?
Looks like a decade or more of neglect.

Perks

Postby Perks » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:08 pm

Photos are up HERE. Amazingly, it looks even worse in person.

A few highlights...

Perkins Realty Group

ch

Postby ch » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:07 am

Mind-boggling!

I half expected Little Edie to appear in one of the photographs. Wasn't someone actually living in this place up until recently? Must be a sad story.

The place does seem salvageable by someone with deep pockets and vision. Wasn't Marmol Radziner looking for work?

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:39 pm

That slideshow is amazing. I'd love to know the story of the house and how it came to be in that condition.

Perks

Postby Perks » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:17 pm

I do believe the house had recently been occupied, though I don't know any more about its history over the past couple decades or so. The listing agent was at the open house, but I didn't really have a chance to chat since the place was pretty busy and the agent generally occupied.

If anyone gets any more background, please do post up! I'd love to hear too.

Perkins Realty Group

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:30 am

Honestly, this isn't *that* bad of a situation. The house condition....that IS pretty bad :(

But I'm thinking of someone is in here at $650,000 and spends another $650,000 on renovation work (probably possible if you don't use Marmol Radziner), I can see ending up with a home that's worth a fair amount more than the $1.3M you have in it. The wood on this house needs a lot of help but a good portion is concrete, it seems.

There's no reason this home has to be a lost cause. With that said, unless you are wealthy beyond belief, this will most definitely involve a lot blood, sweat, and tears. But hey, you'll end up with a 2500 sq ft Schindler with incredible views, a fair amount of equity, and great life experience.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Perks

Postby Perks » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:59 am

The more I think about it, the more I think this house could actually be rehabbed for a reasonably non-outrageous price. $1.3M total cost is probably a good estimate for an owner willing to do much of the work. (Granted, most of the folks I know who happen to have a spare million dollars laying around--I can't imagine any bank agreeing to finance the house in its current state--aren't exactly the DIY types, but hey.)

There is a fair amount of concrete both inside and out. Some needs work, but most is in pretty good condition with no cracking or other signs of structural stress. A lot of the interior finish (cabinet doors, etc.) is basically plywood, and what couldn't be repaired could be rebuilt inexpensively. There was heavy water damage, but it seemed localized despite the fact that the roof is trashed. I imagine there's a lot of wood rot around the broken windows that have been boarded over, and of course there's a lot of custom window work to be done. All of the bathrooms need major work, and I would certainly want to do a complete rebuild of the electrical, plumbing, and HVAC systems.

Essentially, it's all the same stuff most of us have dealt with before, only on a bigger scale.

Perkins Realty Group

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:14 am

Stephen wrote:Honestly, this isn't *that* bad of a situation. The house condition....that IS pretty bad :(

But I'm thinking of someone is in here at $650,000 and spends another $650,000 on renovation work (probably possible if you don't use Marmol Radziner), I can see ending up with a home that's worth a fair amount more than the $1.3M you have in it. The wood on this house needs a lot of help but a good portion is concrete, it seems.

There's no reason this home has to be a lost cause. With that said, unless you are wealthy beyond belief, this will most definitely involve a lot blood, sweat, and tears. But hey, you'll end up with a 2500 sq ft Schindler with incredible views, a fair amount of equity, and great life experience.

I think if you focus on restoration, you could turn this house around for less than $300K.

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:07 am

Somewhere I dug up that the house was last sold on 4/19/1973. I don't know the names of the seller or buyer. Did Albert (Van) Dekker's wife live in it after their divorce? L.A. County's online grantor/grantee search only goes back to 1997. I thought I also read somewhere that the man was in his 90's. Didn't he have any family that could have kept the house in habitable condition--if not for the sake of the house than for the sake of the man?

This whole thing is just crying out for a documentary.

ch

Postby ch » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:57 am

Not sure if this is good or bad news for the house. Seems like all parties want to restore the place so that is a really good thing. Any thoughts on who the potential new owner might be?

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2009/10/preservation_drama_at_the_van_dekker_residence.php

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:33 am

ch wrote:Not sure if this is good or bad news for the house. Seems like all parties want to restore the place so that is a really good thing. Any thoughts on who the potential new owner might be?

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2009/10/preservation_drama_at_the_van_dekker_residence.php

I'm a bit of a libertarian and I wish the student involved (whose intentions seem genuine) was a bit more experienced in the realities of government bureaucracy. I'd much rather take the risk of letting someone with a solid track record of restoration handle it without government oversight than lose the sale, have restoration take twice as long and cost 25% more with HCM status.

As for guesses...I have a feeling the buyer will be revealed as Michael LaFetra
Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

ch

Postby ch » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:08 am

Yeah, I was thinking Michael LaFetra too. I had the privilege of seeing the How house this weekend during the MAK architecture tour and it is pristine. My friend felt it had been "over restored" and seemed a bit sterile but I think it was because unlike the other houses on the tour, no one was living in the How so you didn't feel the presence of a resident. It is an amazing space that just shines.

I hope to see the Dekker receive such treatment. It could truly be an amazing house once again.

mwl
Modern Socialite

Postby mwl » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:52 am

Sorry Guys.
I'm not the one.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”