Fresno,CA-1955 Cliff May Better Homes&Garden 5-Star Home

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fresno,CA-1955 Cliff May Better Homes&Garden 5-Star Home

Postby Miguel » Sun May 17, 2009 3:26 pm

1955 Better Homes & Garden 5-Star Plan #2004 home designed by Cliff May (original blueprints are available):

Short-sale (will sell in the very low $200ks)
2 BD+ 1Office, 1.75BA, 1,615 Sqft according to tax info (plans state 1,800 Sqft); Lot size 15,525 sq ft / 0.36 acres with pool.

This uncommon Cliff May architectural gem is located in one of the best areas of Fresno. Despite the apparent aesthetic neglect mostly generated in the past year, this home is in pretty good overall condition and surrounded by many amazing custom MCMs. It's just asking for a sensitive restoration to make it look its best.

The 5-Star home program was a way for Better Homes and Gardens to provide anyone access to quality home plans at a minimal cost, and a way for builders to promote their homes to a broader audience. This program also allowed Better Homes and Gardens to present the best aspects of a home's appeal regardless of style. This was especially important when featuring a "modern" home as early as 1950 since some buyers were less familiar with the benefits of living in such spaces.

The 5-Star #2004 plan was the first CM ranch developed for a city lot, and later led to the famous CM pre-fabricated home designs with Choate.
The #2004 prototype in Laurel Canyon is shown in the "Western Ranch Houses by Cliff May" book, pages 92-99.
Pictures of the original April 1950 BH&G issue with the #2004 plan are shown in Joe's Flickrset (thanks, Joe!):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/barthlow/3 ... 733482316/

In 1964 an addition was made where the louvered open carport and the lanai were enclosed and the clerestory windows closed. A courtyard awning structure was also added. From what I saw of the house, all those changes can all be easily undone.
Exterior walls of long redwood board & batten. Interior walls are mostly paneled with redwood-heart, and all the custom cabinetry and windows are original. The fired adobe brick used in the house is unpainted and intact. The flooring under the carpet throughout the house is stained concrete (it puzzles me why it was ever covered!)
As the pictures show, the kitchen is in mostly-mint condition, with working stainless Thermador oven, cooktop, etc.
The lot is pretty large at 0.36 acres, and needs some TLC due to neglect. It it has good mature vegetation and nicely designed landscaping beds
(a Thomas Church design in a different variation from the Laurel Canyon prototype? Not sure, but it can be restored).
There's a paved courtyard out of the kitchen area, surrounded by mature trees that can be nicely landscaped. Notice the original laundry-tree in the picture, another cool restoration project:
A photo album is below (pictures of original blueprints included + the plans of the add-on):
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/Ga ... iff%20May/

Google Streetview:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 21,,0,1.94

Any questions about this property should be directed to the listing agent
Eldon Daetweiler @ eldon@fresnomodern.com or by calling
559-960-3229
Last edited by Miguel on Tue May 19, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Slim and Gabby

yummy!

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon May 18, 2009 12:28 pm

Oooh.
Miguel-that is positively yummy. Mostly untouched, and what a great neighborhood. Wish I could think of someone as the match for it. Sweet house!
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon May 18, 2009 4:05 pm

The only real negative to this house is its proximity to a high school. But, this is a great option for someone who loves the custom Cliff Mays that dot some of Fresno's ritzy neighborhoods but finds $400,000+ out of his or her price range.

There's really a lot you can do on such a large lot, too. I don't think Cliff May ranch-estate living will ever be cheaper.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon May 18, 2009 6:44 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon May 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Mon May 18, 2009 11:06 pm

Wow, that place is amazing. Thanks for posting the pics and the info Miguel, if I wasn't more or less committed to SoCal for the time-being I'd be all over it.

sparklegem
Modern Master

Postby sparklegem » Sat May 23, 2009 7:52 am

Fantastic! Thank you for posting all the great pictures and information! I forwarded all the links to my mother, who lives in Oregon. She lives in a MCM and we both love Cliff May. My grandmother was an interior designer (too) and she was very influenced by Cliff May. That house is so wonderfully orignal. It was such a treat to see all the pictures.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat May 23, 2009 9:42 am

this is a great opportunity for someone who would like to own architecture. given the existing blue prints and color imagery of a complete house, restoration of this place would be pretty easy. great house!

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sun May 31, 2009 8:50 am

More pictures of this Cliff May here:
http://fresnomodern.com/homedetails/tab ... fault.aspx

Sale pending with contingencies. The to-be owner plans to restore the home.

sparklegem
Modern Master

happy news!

Postby sparklegem » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:09 pm

It is great to hear that new (to-be) owner plans to restore! Thank you for posting the link for the pictures.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:41 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:43 am

:(
:)

Slim and Gabby

Holy Cats!

Postby Slim and Gabby » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:28 pm

That is a simply amazing price for such a gem.
That kitchen gives me palpitations.....so very all there!
Great that you keep putting it out there, Miguel. What a shame it would be to have this one go all Taco Bell or Tuscan because of the irresistable price and location.

So so nice.
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:52 am

"Great that you keep putting it out there, Miguel. What a shame it would be to have this one go all Taco Bell or Tuscan because of the irresistable price and location. "

That's I'm publicizing the heck out of it... pass the word around, guys!
Maybe somebody will be interested in this awesome project just waiting to happen. If I didn't have one already....

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”