Beverly Glen, LA, CA: Harwell Hamilton Harris: for Lease $7K

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Pirogene
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Beverly Glen, LA, CA: Harwell Hamilton Harris: for Lease $7K

Postby Pirogene » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:25 pm

My wife and I have recently completed our work on the Ralph Johnson Residence, one of Harwell Hamilton Harris' most compelling designs. Circumstances do not allow us to live here in the future, so we are offering it for lease to discerning and responsible occupants who will have an understanding and appreciation of it. Viewing by private appointment with the brokers.
This will be the first time the home has ever been offered for occupancy as a leasehold. I am pleased here to provide you a visual feast of Harris' work. It has been the thrill of a lifetime to work on this home. The hardscape and landscape design are by Russ Cletta, whose sensibilities harmonized with Harris'.
I do hope you enjoy this first look at the home since it was last published in 1953. Cheers! :cheers:

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Johnson House

Postby Josquin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:26 pm

A visual feast indeed! Thanks for rare look at one of HHH extraordinary houses. Are the paint colors original on the interior?

Pirogene

Postby Pirogene » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:05 pm

I'll accept your kind words on behalf of the home.

Yes, we kept the colors - as best as my research could discover - true to the original. The furniture is also the original - chosen for the home by Mr. Harris. We are only the 3rd owners since 1948.

The concrete stain on the floors is original and has not been redone. The linoleum flooring is new - we took a liberty on this color as we were not able to find what the original was (a few sources indicated it was darker, likely in the browns).

I'm so pleased you have enjoyed the tour, Pirogene

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:12 pm

wow. HHH was a master. love love the wood!

Josquin

Johnson House

Postby Josquin » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:50 am

peterm
Modern Socialite

Postby peterm » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:28 am

space is the place

Pirogene

Postby Pirogene » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:24 am

My thanks on behalf of the home.

Our main work inside the home was in minimizing the small changes which had been made to the original design. In a real sense, the home has always been uniquely well preserved.

Our heavy work was to the hardscape and landscape - the Johnsons had favored a tropical landscape which demands decades of heavy irrigation, a contradiction to the home's needs when you think in terms of hoping for a century or more of longevity.

My apologies for not having colors to identify for you! We custom blended to match existing.

I don't mean to make any of this sound a simple process - it has been a journey of 5 years - so far. But I suspect you well understand.

My best regards, Pirogene

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”