Sherman Oaks, CA - Mid-Century Modern in the hills

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
modern luxe
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sherman Oaks, CA - Mid-Century Modern in the hills

Postby modern luxe » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:34 pm

Check out this bank-owned home that just hit the market today. It is in the hills of Sherman Oaks, South of Ventura Blvd. and is priced really well for the area at $710,000. I live in this neighborhood and my neighbors and I would love to find a new owner for this home that appreciates this type of architecture so please spread the word if you know anyone looking for a mid-century modern home in the valley. This home may be a Fickett and it is part of a small enclave of mid century modern homes. There is a Richard Dorman and a P&K home across the street from this house and the 2 neighboring homes to the North are both Ficketts. The house could use some new exterior paint, but it has concrete floors, lots of floor to ceiling glass, and a great pool in the backyard. Easy access to the westside too.

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 pm

I drove by that house for years and always admired the beams on the glass-enclosed courtyard. If only I could afford a place in the hills, I'd definitely be living in a place just like that...
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Tons of potential.

Perks, I haven't yet been on that street...how is the noise from the 405?
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

modern luxe
Modern Fan

Postby modern luxe » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:28 pm

Perks

Postby Perks » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:07 pm

Modern Luxe is pretty much spot on. The noise bounces off the hills differently in different places, so it varies, even though the physical proximity to the freeway might not differ too much.

The noise from the house that's immediately behind this one would get the bulk of any noise, whereas this one would be a little more protected, and it's going to be more noticeable toward the peak of the hill. I probably wouldn't buy the house right behind it, but I wouldn't consider freeway noise to be enough of an issue to sway me against this one in particular.

filmtrix
Modern Groupie

Scadlock Modern

Postby filmtrix » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:37 am

I had the pleasure of seeing this house today. I would love to buy it. Can anyone help me find who was the architect?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Re: Scadlock Modern

Postby egads » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:54 am

filmtrix
Modern Groupie

Postby filmtrix » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:38 pm

It was not bad. However, we were there mid afternoon. As mentioned above, and I agree, the upper house seems to absorb the brunt of it.

Any idea who designed it? Or what it is worth? It needs a ground up restoration. I mean, there is not one part of this house that does not need attention. But the potential is there for some one with Money Pit deep pockets!

allen
Modern Master

fickett

Postby allen » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm going to guess the architect of that house was Ed Fickett.

He did several in that area and on that street

filmtrix
Modern Groupie

Postby filmtrix » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:49 pm

What do you think the property is worth in its present condition?

Thanks.

modern luxe
Modern Fan

Postby modern luxe » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:42 am

I also saw this home today and took some photos of the interior and backyard.
Now that I’ve been inside this home, I can say with certainty that the architect is Ed Fickett. There are many similarities in the floor plan and exterior of this home to a Fickett on a nearby street called Moonridge Dr. that sold last year. The flow of this home is fantastic. The master bedroom is on a separate wing of the home, away from the other 2 bedrooms. It has many original features that are desirable by buyers today like an open kitchen/great room, dual sinks in the master bath, and polished concrete floors. The house has a ton of potential and would not take too much work or money to be restored, as many original features are still intact. Just look beyond the current paint colors, carpeting, pool and pond algae. Both of the bathrooms and the kitchen have the original floating cabinetry. There is original mosaic tile flooring in the entryway. The closets in the bedrooms are original and also float. The kitchen cabinet doors have been altered, but could easily be replaced with doors that are more in line with the style of the home. The yard has a fantastic pool, outdoor entertaining cabana, a waterfall and a koi pond. After looking at hundreds of modern homes in the valley for 3 years and restoring my own mid-century modern home last year, I think this home could really shine with new interior and exterior paint, some wood repair, and a new counter and cabinet doors in the kitchen. If this is the type of home you are looking for,...an architectural, post and beam, modern home in this location and mostly original condition...they are fairly rare and this one is worth much more than the current asking price.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:04 am

Great house but it looks to me like it needs a good amount of work. Too bad that the previous owner(s) went so crazy with the paint. Were the ceilings and paneled wall surfaces originally not painted?
Visit my Blog

rocketman
Modern Fan

Postby rocketman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:11 am

Perks

Postby Perks » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:45 pm

rocketman
Modern Fan

Postby rocketman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:28 pm

MCMFAN
Modern Groupie

SHERMAN OAKS MCM

Postby MCMFAN » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:35 pm

Modern Luxe,

Since you live in the neighborhood, do you know who the former owners were? Since it is a foreclosure, the bank is not required to reveal any information about previous owners. We are putting in an offer and want to know about the history of this home. Thanks!

filmtrix
Modern Groupie

Postby filmtrix » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:04 pm

modern luxe
Modern Fan

Re: SHERMAN OAKS MCM

Postby modern luxe » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:59 pm

MCMFAN
Modern Groupie

Postby MCMFAN » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:09 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:03 pm

allen
Modern Master

fickett

Postby allen » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:32 pm

MuggBlotts
Modern Groupie

Postby MuggBlotts » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:07 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”