Eichler vs Like-ler for sale?

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
drew
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Eichler vs Like-ler for sale?

Postby drew » Wed Nov 06, 2002 8:01 pm

So, there I am looking in a neighborhood in GH and truly stumble into Balboa Highlands. After driving and looking and see no homes for sale, I'm wondering if anyone knows an owner thinking of selling their home. As a life long resident of the SFV, and one who truly appreciates the history and stylings of these wonderful homes, my wife and I are very interested in becoming part of this community. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Also, other than who the builder, what was is the difference between eichler and like-ler construction? I'm not able to get much on like'lers.

drew

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:17 pm

Well first of all - I try to keep an updated list of what's for sale in our neighborhood on our website... but sometimes things pop up and go quickly. http://www.balboahighlands.com/neighbor ... sale.shtml
Lately however, there have only been 2 homes for sale for a while and i am not sure of their status? If they're still available - I bet they're open to all offers at this point. The one on Jimeno is an especially great home - mostly original AND with a view!

Likelers are simply a silly name for the homes that are near the Eichlers with a bit of Modern styling to them. They are not high-style 'name' homes like Eichlers, but still very good if you are looking for a clean Modern home. They do not include an atrium, but an enclosed strip of courtyard leading to the front door. I went into one recently (still for sale on Darla) and it had an open glass wall in back, floor to ceiling fireplace and other nice features. There are a few other tracts of homes like these scattered across the North Valley. Someday we may learn more about them I hope.

There are also Yikelers! These are Eichlers in need of rescueing from the fate of bad remuddling. I often think that the ones that look like Caesar's Palace would actualy be really cool if they were decked out ala the "Pad" book and we've got the oil drop lady lamp to go with it!!!

Send me a private message with your phone # and I can call you if another good one pops on the market - we saved 2 others that way - and made great friends to boot!

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:04 am

Of the two Eichlers that Mary-Margaret mentioned, the one on Lisette recently sold for $370,000. Last time I checked the Claude Oakland model on Jimeno was still available.

There is another Eichler that was listed for sale about a month ago at 12727 Darla. I had spoken with the owner and understand they were putting the sale "on hold", so you might want to check with realtor Danny Ross about the current status.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:29 am

I did not know the Lisette one was no longer available... It seemed to be going into and out of escrow? Do we knowthe closing date yet?

The one on Darla does seem to have been put on hold.

According to the broker, the one on Jimeno is in escrow and sold for a record price in the neighborhood! And apparently it was sold to an architect :-)

So sorry, as of now - we have no homes available in our neighborhood.

bluecherub
Modern Master

Postby bluecherub » Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:27 pm

:roll: I guess I live in a "Likeler" then, hu?

I am in a vintage modern ranch home, a P&K style design on Louise Ave.

Likeler seems :evil: evil to me, as if the only homes that are worth a dam are Eichlers and nothing else matters.

It's a sad sign of the times. It's not that I don't love Eichlers, I loved the Balboa Highlands tract before anyone! It's just that it's a demeaning term for other Modern homes!

Think twice before you jump in!
Eichlers need special owners who are commited to them,
and there are a lot of other Mid Century Modern homes out there that need love too! Some with pedagrees, some without, but all with integrity.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:36 pm

oh nooo.. i like likelers!!!
i love Fickets and Alexanders! I even love ranchers like Melanthans - you know the ones with the little bird houses and lots of cottage wood trim.

it's all good. pedigree or not... as long as the home has it's own style and has not been remodeled in a way to conflict the original intention of the architect/designers.

Heck i even appreciate 1970s Brady Bunch family home architecture..
Oh and have you seen those crazy Nuevo Victorians on the hill above Rinaldi? I think on Louise? I confess I confess - they give me a cheap thrill.

bluecherub
Modern Master

Postby bluecherub » Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:55 pm

Drew, if you are interested, there is a lovely home for sale near Reseda Blvd in Northridge. It's a nice clean Modernism ranch made by Smith and Williams in 1954. It's for sale for $315,000. Is 3 bed and 1 3/4 bath, 1752 SQ Feet on a 12,981 lot. It's located at 8400 Canby Ave. in Northridge. The listing agent is Carol Otero from Remax, (818) 832-2643. This is an honest post. Check out the photos:
http://www.wgn.net/~tooch/home.jpg

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:37 am

blue cherub- great tip! this is a good neighborhood, too. You'll have the "First Church of Elroy Jetson" right around the corner! and Jolly Jug - flawless vintage backlit plastic sign and Tahaitian Lanai tiki apartments close by. This is just northwest or so of the Araco tract listed in Los Angeles Magazine's best unknown neighborhoods from 2000...
I think that this might be part of the relatively unknown 1954 Smith and Williams homes in Reseda? It's in Gebhard and Winter - but for some reason I think I drove the streets they listed and couldn't find them? Looks like you did!

ValleyModern
Modern Master

8400 Canby

Postby ValleyModern » Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:57 am

I was in the hood and drove by. Very nice, however there was a 'sold' sign in front. It seems that there's usually something in Corbin Palms, though. I saw two a couple of weeks ago, one looked good.

Otis

drew
Modern Groupie

for sale

Postby drew » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:25 pm

the house on Darla is still for sale, and unfortunately it is a bit small for us. we are looking for 4 bdrm and 2000 sq feet.
i have lived in the area for most of my life. live in chatsworth now, went to chatsworth high school 20+ yearrs ago. and appreciate many areas in and around the area, encino a san fernando, candy cane like is a wonderful neighborhood. sherwood is great, many areas are terrific, we just seem to be drawn to this one. it seems to be who we are, and why not try to get into a place where it is regarded in the same way. as far as likeler vs eichler, what is the problem with going with an eichler as a first choice, just think of the original reason it was thought to be a bad idea. built too well. yeah problems with glass and metal, i know, refurbishing from liz's can be costly, but over the course of ones life, hmmm see ok by me.

just my opinion. btw rumors is there is another up for sale very soon.
will wait to see.

drew :) :)

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:23 pm

Drew, if you'd like to e-mail me your telephone number, I'll keep an eye out for you, too! I live on Lisette. Have heard a couple of rumors but nothing definite yet.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”