Silverlake, LA - R. M. Schindler, 1956: $950,000

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
scowsa
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Silverlake, LA - R. M. Schindler, 1956: $950,000

Postby scowsa » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:08 pm

Available for the first time, the Philip & Phyllis Schlessinger House designed by Architect R. M. Schindler. Commissioned in 1952 & built in 1956. This was Schindler's last commissioned home. The estate is offering the original furnishings, some designed by Schlindler himself.

(IMHO: I could easily drive past this, not even thinking MCM with such provenance!)

scowsa

jonu
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Location: Franklin Hills (Los Feliz), LA CA and Palm Springs CA

Postby jonu » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:45 pm

The listing describes the house as being in 'Silverlake'. Its location would be more accurately described as Los Feliz or Franklin Hills.

Scowsa -- I live less than a mile from this place. I drove by it for years before I noticed it and discovered its provenance.

I have been in the house a few times. Its is a bit more interesting than the exterior suggests. Unfortunately, though, each time all the shades were drawn. Knowing Schindler's mastery of light, I sure it would have been a more exciting space with the windows exposed.

-Jon

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:32 am

Apparently Schindler died before the house could be completed. Scheine reports that not all of the interior work was completed as Schindler envisioned. I would agree that from the exterior the house doesn't look too outstanding but I think it's the interior that is pure RMS. According to Scheine, Schindler was exploring "the ideas of shifting and rotating geometries, including combining two angles and experimenting with shifts at or above the datum".

The interior of this house was extensively profiled in the film "Schindler Houses." How great for someone to be only the 2nd owner!

Last edited by ch on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:54 pm

Here's the virtual tour:

jonu
Location: Franklin Hills (Los Feliz), LA CA and Palm Springs CA

Postby jonu » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:07 pm

Thanks for the link!

Nice original rendering as part of the virtual tour.
I always wondered about the color and the front patio.

-Jon

Pal George
Modern Socialite

Postby Pal George » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:39 pm

As of Sunday ( 10.31.10) there was an offer and a back-up already. We thought based on the rendering that the striking roof over hang ont eh front and side elevation was sadly either never achieved or altered from it's original intent later due to rot or lack of adequate support. There were numerous lovely details inside, the site-limes are still intact toward WLA. The current front door set-up at street grade is a serious disappointment and a clever person could make use of the rear yard as new entrance platform.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”