Fort Worth, TX Diamond in the Rough MCM $89k

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fort Worth, TX Diamond in the Rough MCM $89k

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:34 pm

Located in the Wedgwood neighborhood of southwest Fort Worth, this house was built in 1958. To my knowledge it was designed by the Fort Worth architectural firm of William Kneer and T.Z. Hamm, and built by custom home builder Paul Groves. These same individuals designed and built my own MCM house that is nearby.

To be honest, the grounds are in terrible condition, and the house will need considerable cosmetic work for it to return to its former glory. According to the real estate listing, foundation work was done in 2008, and as I walked around the structure I did not see evidence of large scale foundation movement, considering how horribly dry our summer has been this year.

From what I've been able to see of the interior (which isn't much, unfortunately) it has not been remuddled extensively, and the exterior, save for over fifty years on the planet, looks mostly original.

It's my hope this house falls into MCM loving hands and not either a bulldozer blade or a remuddler. So in that hope I'm posting several pics I took of the house today, plus a link to the listing:

The front entrance is a combination carport, porte cochere, and porch. It is a real signature piece of the home's exterior:

Lighting and trim detail over double doors:

Service entrance gate. Beyond this gate is a door to the kitchen on the right, and a storage closet with double doors to the left:

Cool bullet light fixtures and screen block on patio for master bedroom. There's a hot tub at this location, but it will need help:

The pendant globes and beams are classic!

The siding detail is unusual. Notice how each batten is beveled. I've never seen that before:

West side of house showing generous roof overhang and fireplace:

Last but not least, the real estate listing:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... source=web
Eric Green's DFW mid-mod site:
www.cosmicool.com

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:06 am

What an AMAZING home!!! I can't believe this is listed at only $89k.

It looks immaculate from the outside. I would love to see the interior.

Too bad it's in Ft. Worth. I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it were anywhere near Denver (but then I guess it wouldn't have such a low price tag, huh?). :roll:

Catman
Modern Socialite

Postby Catman » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:48 pm

Wow, this is serious house at a bargain price.
I too would love to see pictures of the interior.

8-)

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:15 pm

A coworker where I work is an MCM fan. I showed him pics of this house and he wants to contact the realtor for a showing. I asked if he could time it so I could also see it with him. If it works out I'll take my camera along and get some interior shots.

The reason I think this house is at $89k is not because the neighborhood around it is bad. On the contrary, Wedgwood, in southwest Fort Worth, was once a hot spot and to this day is still a desirable neighborhood. In fact, only in Wedgwood and a few other Fort Worth neighborhoods are there to be found affordable MCM homes. Even at that they are scattered about, unlike an Eichler development or Arapahoe Acres in Colorado. The rest of Fort Worth MCM homes are more upscale and beyond my pay scale.

The reason I think this house is at $89k is because the grounds are an overgrown, unkempt jungle, and from what I've seen of the interior, it will need a complete paint job and all new flooring (carpet is filthy in the bedroom I was able to peer into). The screen wall with the cool bullet light fixtures will need structural work, but the house itself does not seem to have glaring foundation issues, from the two times I've walked around it.

That said, one cannot deny the inherent architectural treat this house is, at least on the exterior, and I can vouch for its "bones", given that my own MCM house one block over was built by the same person in 1959. All of the MCM homes in Wedgwood, what few there are compared to the much larger component of traditionally styled dwellings, are unique, even if they may share modest variations of the same floor plan. The elevations vary widely. So if you own one, you own the only one of its kind anywhere. It's not a common opportunity to own architect designed homes at this price point, or even at the somewhat higher price point of well maintained MCM homes nearby.

www.cosmicool.com

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:31 pm

Here are a few more shots from my visit this past weekend:

Service entrance gate detail:

Looking out toward the street from inside the carport:

Service entrance detail:

Patio screen block wall and bullet light fixtures:

Eichler-like beam design of carport roof:

Carport, driveway, and street side of outdoor storage closet in service entrance:

www.cosmicool.com

Catman
Modern Socialite

Postby Catman » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:56 pm

DFWmidmodfan,

I totally agree with your analysis, and I believe these houses have to be preserved and restored.

I really don’t know how much would it take to bring this baby to her former glory but let’s said, for pure fun, that someone buy this house for about the asking price and put 100k on restoration. It would still be an amazing bargain. And again “what a house!!!”

I sure hope you can take pictures of the interior of the house on your next visit. At least they will be preserved here for the mcm community to enjoy.

8-)

rglater
Modern Socialite

Diamond in the Rough

Postby rglater » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:24 pm

DFWmidmodfan-

Did/is your friend going to make an offer?
Richard Dietzel
gabh an latha
Eugene, OR

atomicguy
Modern Groupie

Postby atomicguy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:12 am

rglater
Modern Socialite

Postby rglater » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:48 am

I wonder wht this means - Foundation work complete in 2008. warranty may or may not be in effect.
Richard Dietzel

gabh an latha

Eugene, OR

rglater
Modern Socialite

Neighborhood?

Postby rglater » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:43 am

Can anyone tell me about this neighborhood not just low crime, iffy but the community and if there are MCM activities, people?
Richard Dietzel

gabh an latha

Eugene, OR

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:20 pm

Drove by the house yesterday. It is still on the market. I saw the interior a few months ago. Will need considerable work. I did not have camera with me so no photos of interior.

My coworker decided to stay put in his present house.

Wedgwood, where this house sits, is a low-crime neighborhood. Most of the homes in it are not of MCM style; in fact the ones that are tend to be clustered near where this house is located, scattered across several blocks.

This house truly is an MCM fixer-upper. If you're looking for move-in ready, this isn't a house you'll like. If you've always dreamed of taking a distressed MCM property and restoring it to MCM glory, here's your chance. Since I live nearby I'd really like to see someone with MCM restoration in mind buy and own this house.

www.cosmicool.com

rglater
Modern Socialite

Bd Real Estate Pics

Postby rglater » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:50 pm

I am appalled at how bad most RE photography is as well as how little there may be with an online listing.

I'll take more bad pics over too few but, really there is no excuse for poorly framed, blurry, glare and the terrible state of places. The photog should have permission to and the brains to move clutter out of shot and if taken by the presenting agent instead they should think about what it is they're trying to get across with each pic.

In this case there are just three pics all front exteriors.

Sad.
Richard Dietzel

gabh an latha

Eugene, OR

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:21 am

Catman
Modern Socialite

Postby Catman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:03 pm

Is the place still for sale?
I sure would love to see interior shots.

8-)

texmoto
Modern Groupie

still for sale

Postby texmoto » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:26 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”