Palm Springs

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Palm Springs

Postby classic form » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:46 am

Trying to think to the future and decided that it would be nice to have a place in Palm Springs for retirment/vacation purposes. Can't afford a house so are looking for a condo that would fit the mid century bill.

We found a couple but would love to hear some recommendations.

Budget is small...150-200,000usd

Any insight into the town and locations?

We have visited on a few occasions but just day trippin. Once we get a better feel for the place and where to concentrate on looking we will come out for a bit and shop some.

Thanks for any help coming our way...

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:54 am

Paul Kaplan, realtor and MCM fan, regularly pops up on this board. His web site is much than just house and condo sales, it includes a blog about PS with lots of MCM references.

For example, this link will take you to archived material where MCM is referenced,

The site also has a link to Mid-Century Neighborhoods
scowsa

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:12 am

I would encourage you to explore the south end neighborhoods of Palm Springs near the Indian Canyons golf resort. This is where you will find the highest concentration of mcm condos anywhere in the Coachella Valley. Your price range should allow you to consider several units in the area. Specifically, check out the Canyon Country Club Colony on South Calle Palo Fierro. These units are 2 or 3 bedrooms, some with fireplaces and some facing the golf course. There are 3 pools and 1 jacuzzi, plus 2 covered parking spaces and a large storage locker for each unit. It's a community on the rise with recent investments in landscaping, with more on the horizon. I bought a unit in this complex at the low end of your price range in 2011. It may be a little higher now, but you would certainly be able to get a unit. However, expect to apply some elbow grease or some well planned $ to bring the unit up to snuff. Thankfully, most units in the complex are in original condition, and haven't been remodeled. Send me a private message if you're interested in any more info.

ch

Postby ch » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:14 pm

Another factor is the notion of owned or leased land. Many of the condos in Palm Springs do not own the land they are built upon and thus are subject to the changing terms of their leases upon renewal. When I was shopping, I was advised that purchasing in a complex that owns their own land is a much better investment. I'm sure there are some realtors who would pooh-pooh this notion to make a sale but I would suggest you do the research yourself. There is much more to buying a condo in Palm Springs than simply finding an architectural design that you like. My 2 cents.

ch

Postby ch » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:15 pm

(duplicate post)
Last edited by ch on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:50 pm

As long as the land lease doesn't expire within 30 years (or the length of your intended mortgage) of when you want to buy or sell, it's not that complex. My community's lease runs through 2062, so there is very little chance of me having a problem when selling it. But you are right--the land lease issue is a unique nuance to the market in the desert, and your evaluation of the purchase price needs to include the question--will I own the land or just the structure? The vast majority of south Palm Springs is on Indian land, so keep that in mind as you explore. Good luck!

classic form

Postby classic form » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:21 am

Thanks for the replies...we have decided though that as much as we love the southwest and Palm Springs in particular, we are going to invest where the water is. We wanted something we could retire to or sell at retirment age to finance something else. That's about 10-15 years out. Kind of worried what the population of the area will be by then (I'm guessing a LOT more than now)
and how the water supply will hold up (not holding up so good as we speak), so...maybe lakefront someplace up north?

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:21 pm

come and visit las vegas. you can get something well within and under your budget. and have money left over for a few months in europe!

classic form

Postby classic form » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:28 am

Interesting article in this months issue of L.A. Magazine regarding socals water supply.

PaulKaplan
Modern Master

Postby PaulKaplan » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:42 am

The Paul Kaplan Group, Inc
Architectural Real Estate
1701 N Palm Canyon Dr. #5
Palm Springs, CA 92262
www.MidCenturyModernPS.com
760-459-1396
DRE 01325586

classic form

Postby classic form » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:10 am

Just because water is cheap doesn't say anything about the supply and the fact that the aquifer has been dropping yearly since 1930. With population expected to rise by 44 percent by 2030 you might want to rethink your large lawn and swimming pool. You DO rely on the colorado, PS pumps water to sand fields where it works its way to replenish the aquifer.
Of course this information was taken from papers online...I don't live there as you do so I'm sure you know more about it than I do. But, if I did live there? I would make the pool completely shallow (no "deep end") and would maybe look at alternatives to my large lawn.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:55 am

scowsa

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”