Racine, WI - John Randal McDonald home for sale $234, 900

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

alexesmom
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Racine, WI - John Randal McDonald home for sale $234, 900

Postby alexesmom » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:55 pm

I Found this great home in my search for a mid century contemporary house here in good old wisconsin.....I found 2, bought one :D and this is the other..thought I'd pass this bargain along to you all.......

2409 sq.ft. tri-level contemporary designed by John Randal McDonald

*** For sale in racine wisconsin! ***

:cheers: http://www.johnandjeanschoenwaelder.com ... /index.htm :h:

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:31 pm

what a great house! wonderful original condition!

mtwall
Modern Master

Postby mtwall » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:08 pm

WOW! :D

Particularly the rear elevation. I've never been to Racine but I like the way the name sounds when spoken. Not sure that's a reason to move there, but the price and the house are most definitely appealing...

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:24 am

I can not believe that you can get a house like this anywhere in the US for this price. This looks like a beautiful house and I venture to guess it would sell for at least 10x this price down here in SD.

alexesmom
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

prices....

Postby alexesmom » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:10 am

PortlandModern
Modern Socialite

Postby PortlandModern » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:08 pm

well you certainly don't want us all moving there....but that is one impressive house. Makes one want to keep looking. Thanks for posting.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:11 pm

it cost that much because they all moved out here!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

J R Mcdonald

Postby SDR » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:14 am

alexesmom -- I am SO green with envy!! A) can someone remind us of previous sightings of Mcdonald's houses? 2) will we see alexesmoms house in photos [or descriptions, etc] to appreciate the various differences [if any] between the two houses? C) are the two houses in the same neighborhood? You couldn't possibly tell me too much about these houses: the window grillage, the furniture, the indoor "water feature"(?), the roofing material ("other"?), etc etc

SDR :cheers:

tikiyaki
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby tikiyaki » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:36 am

MAN that house is cool....
It's giving me ideas for the update/restore I'm going to do on the house I just bought (for almost twice the price I might add ;-(

Tom Bloczynski
Modern Groupie

John Randal McDonald

Postby Tom Bloczynski » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:45 am

Tom Bloczynski, Owner of Windhaven Design was John Randal Mcdonald's assistant and engineer from 1998 until Mr McDonald's untimely death in 2003. Tom is currently working with the clients of Mr. McDonald who have yet to build original JRMcD designs.

doctore
Modern Socialite

Just bought a J R McDonald in Milwaukee, WI

Postby doctore » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:18 pm

Will post some pics when I move in!! This looks to be a great site. I actually grew up in Racine and have always loved his houses, love the one above.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

John Randal McDonald

Postby SDR » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:29 am

doctore
Modern Socialite

Home Listing in Milwaukee <update>

Postby doctore » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:25 pm

Here is the listing description for anyone who is interested in these homes:

Rare opportunity to own this stunning John Randal McDonald designed home! Feel like you are in the northwoods with walls of windows overlooking a heavily wooded lot. This outstanding home has soaring vaulted ceilings that compliment the wood and stone construction. Living room and kitchen share a 2-way fireplace. Kitchen features a center island, built-ins, pantry and access to a large deck. Master bedroom has its own sunroom, NFP, private bath with a whirlpool tub, wet bar and a large walk-in closet.

Tom Bloczynski
Modern Groupie

John Randal McDonald (very short) Biography

Postby Tom Bloczynski » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:33 am

Tom Bloczynski, Owner of Windhaven Design was John Randal Mcdonald's assistant and engineer from 1998 until Mr McDonald's untimely death in 2003. Tom is currently working with the clients of Mr. McDonald who have yet to build original JRMcD designs.

doctore
Modern Socialite

Another fine JR McDonald for sale --->

Postby doctore » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:25 am

http://firstweber.com/vp/ListingServlet ... LS=370745#

I've been in this house and it is pretty amazing. I recently purchased a house similar to this about 10 blocks away by JRM (not nearly as expensive but also not nearly as big.)

Enjoy the pics!!

Tom Bloczynski
Modern Groupie

JrMcD Home in Fox Point

Postby Tom Bloczynski » Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:45 am

Doctore,

Thanks for the picture link to the Irving Armour home designed in 1957 by John Randal McDonald, very impressive indeed. Mr. McDonald and I have never personally toured that home together, though he has told me that there have been some "re-muddlings", one of his favorite terms, done to that home without his participation. If you would be so kind as to post the address of your JRMcD home, I may be able to give you a few interesting facts about its history.

Thanks again, Tom

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:53 am

Tom, you should think about publishing that book via Cafepress.com with correct permissions of course. I thought they recently began offering publising on a one at a time basis. I think you need to create a PDF file of the book in order to do it.
Last edited by lavardera on Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
gregory la vardera architect
modern stock plans www.lamidesign.com/plans
design blogger www.materialicio.us

doctore
Modern Socialite

Email

Postby doctore » Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:19 pm

Tom, I have sent you an email.

googieagog
Modern Master

Chicago-area McDonald homes

Postby googieagog » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:04 am

therman7g
Modern Groupie

Postby therman7g » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:27 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you provide the addresses for these homes in Niles and Park Ridge?

John McDonald is one of my favorites. There's a couple killer McDonald homes just outside Chicago. One, in Niles, looks a bit like Fallingwater but with a carport where the creek would be. The other looks like a limestone flying saucer, on a small lake in Park Ridge

googieagog
Modern Master

Chicago area McDonald homes

Postby googieagog » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:34 pm

Last edited by googieagog on Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:02 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

doctore
Modern Socialite

Postby doctore » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:50 pm

http://www.pwp2.com/jrm/

This is an interesting site for fans of JRMcD architecture. It is kinda a montage of original drawings and photos. Some are pretty funky.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:18 pm

Thanks, doctore -- there's lots to look at, there. Now there's an organic architect. . .! Some really rich stuff; my favorites are the residences, of course.

Actually, I was hoping to stumble upon an example of the "accented" shingle roof (where every several courses one is doubled, to create a pronounced striped effect) -- and McDonald gives us one, on a hexagonal roof to boot. Thank you, architect McDonald !

SDR :cheers: :cheers:

everyindysince70
Modern Groupie

JRM in Waukesha WI

Postby everyindysince70 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:17 pm

MLS# 836295. Century 21. JRM called this one "Hillsun"

[/i[/url]

doctore
Modern Socialite

Postby doctore » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:15 am

everyindysince70
Modern Groupie

Postby everyindysince70 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:51 pm

We still own this JRM home thru this weekend. Close on Monday!

We are moving out of the Milwaukee area for a job opportunity. We are just now beginning to appreciate what a special home JRM designed here. We can't find anything like it.

In his original arch. drawings JRM actually drew in where the Ivy should grow and where to center a party, and where to place the family piano.

The new owners spent a lot of time looking over the JRM's blue prints-- so we know it is in good hands![/img]

eekahil
Modern Fan

JRM site, Wisconsin

Postby eekahil » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:39 am

Hey, doctore

Thanks for the link to the JRM site.
When I moved here and was house-hunting 3 years ago I searched and searched for information about him. I found precious little then.

We have been lucky to have toured maybe 5 of the houses - either because of opens or estate sales.

I'd really wanted to get inside that one on Green Tree - the one with the cool bronze abstract sculpture thing -I would love to see how it works since it is perched on a bluff overlooking a ravine.

We're in Fox Point - where in RH are you?

doctore
Modern Socialite

Postby doctore » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:39 pm

Finally got a chance to post some pics of our home. Hope this works:

http://home.wi.rr.com/ravinehome/

Not alot of pictures I know, but I hope fans of this architect enjoy. I will try to post more later.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:11 pm

Thank you so much. There's a world of information in just those three shots. . .

The patio overhang/eave extension in the third photo bears study; as simple as this structural/fenestration detail is, it is almost unknown in architecture either modern or ancient. (It is these constructs -- the simpler the better -- that I search for in my furniture design.) The closest approximation of this effect might be something in Schindler's work. . .but it's the logic of it that is so exciting to me.

More, more !

SDR

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”