Illinois - looking for California Ranch type house

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

vntgkitten
Modern Groupie

Illinois - looking for California Ranch type house

Postby vntgkitten » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:45 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:48 am

jetsetmodern
Modern Groupie

Modern Real Estate in/near Chicago

Postby jetsetmodern » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:14 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:57 pm

jetsetmodern
Modern Groupie

Chicago area Calif Ranch and other Modernist houses

Postby jetsetmodern » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:56 pm

I've been so crazy busy that I really haven't had much time to post a proper introduction to the group here about my venture into real estate, but it's really a captivating field, and very fun. I've been finding all kinds of hidden wonderful mid-century modern houses in the Chicago area, an area many people are architecturally unaware of outside the famous highrises downtown and the nearby Farnsworth House by Mies. There have been many architecturally minded people here for decades, of course, so the suburbs (and city) are dotted with great properties. And yes, some of them are for sale now!

One of the very best California Ranch modernist houses is around the corner from me and I have it listed for sale by the original owner! It was designed in 1955 by Edward Robert Humrich, a noted local architect in the Prairie style. Made of California Cedar and brick, this 5 bedroom 3 1/2 bath large ranch is in all original and well maintained condition. Approximately 3600 square feet on 1+ wooded acres, with concrete floors with radiant heat, passive solar siting, 2 car garage with tool/work area, extensive builtins including furniture, an outdoor reflecting pond/pool, and more. The house was built with integrity and honest use of materials. This was Humrich's largest commission, originally set out to cost $40,000 in 1955, he estimates it cost about $200,000 to build, in 1955 dollars! He mentioned this in the Oral History interview at the Art Institute of Chicago, where the transcript of the interview is available. His drawings and letters are on file at the Chicago Historical Society, including, of course, this wonderful house. This is a warm and wonderful modernist design and I'm really hopeful that a modernist will come enjoy it and preserve it for many more years. If you or someone you know is interested, please do let me know! I'd love to show it to you.

On a historic preservation note:
I recently played a lead role in convincing the City of Highland Park to deny a demotion permit on one of our landmark houses, the Freuh house by Robert Bruce Tague. Tague was a lead draftsman in the firm of Keck & Keck for over 20 years and this is the only known house exclusively by him in existance. Thanks to the research I and others brought forth, the Commission unanimously decided to take the most aggressive strategy possible to save this house! To my knowledge, this is the first time they've actually saved a house, and the demolition permit is denied for up to 12 months while the owner has to try to find a buyer who will restore it (sensitive expansion and updates are ok, obviously). The current owner bought it last year within 4 days on the market when it was marketed as a teardown. They paid $575k for it against the asking price of $525k. Now that they are forced to put it up for sale, it's priced at $699k but with no mention of its historic value or very interesting history. I wonder if someone will step forward to save it or if it will fall to the wrecking ball to make way for another McMansion. ??? You can read more about this house and see photos at:
www.jetsetmodern.com/tague.htm

vntgkitten
Modern Groupie

Postby vntgkitten » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:42 am

that sounds great, unfortunately it also sounds pricewise way out of my league. I"m looking for something smaller (1400 sq ft or so) that will hopefully make it more reasonable price range. I'm sure that home that you are speaking of is great but I'm sure it's way too much money for me at this time. Do you know of any rentals?

BTW, anyone going to the modernist show in a couple of weeks?

jetsetmodern
Modern Groupie

modernist houses in Chicago

Postby jetsetmodern » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:18 pm

googieagog
Modern Master

modernist houses in Chicago

Postby googieagog » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:57 pm

briant
Modern Groupie

Postby briant » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:31 am

MoneyPitModern
Modern Master

Postby MoneyPitModern » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:08 pm

It's slightly more north than west, but how about Park Ridge? Here's a MCM house that's still owned by the architect who built it, and it comes complete with original Chambers cooktop and wall over, black slate floors, full basement, 2 bed, 2.5 bath, not to mention the well-regarded Park Ridge schools, if you have children. Even if you don't, good schools help with resale.

Listed at $535,000, it's slightly beyond your upper range. Perhaps the owner will cut you a deal because you're not going to teardown his creation, as the McMansion plague is rampant in Park Ridge. The seller of my house gave me a significant discount off the listing price solely because I was not going to tear it down. It's worth a shot.

Seach by listing ID# 1179882
http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/SearchO ... oe=realtor

lulabelle
Modern Fan

Postby lulabelle » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:37 pm

jetsetmodern
Modern Groupie

Chicago area, suburban modern houses

Postby jetsetmodern » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:30 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”