L.A., CA - Fast Schindler Sale!

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

L.A., CA - Fast Schindler Sale!

Postby ch » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:18 pm

Did anyone else read this in the Sunday Times? I tried to find the listing on the Sotheby's International Realty website but didn't see it. Did it come and go like that?

Another thing. I think the copy is kind of weird. If I didn't know anything about Schindler, from this article I would think most of his stuff is basically crap except for this house - some kind of reverse snob appeal marketing? Don't get me wrong, I would live in a chicken coop the man designed if there was one I could afford in LA!

Long live RM!

HOME OF THE WEEK
At home with Schindler
A sylvan setting is one of the many charms of the 1941 Rodriguez House in Glendale.
By Ruth Ryon
Times Staff Writer

April 17, 2005

It isn't often that a Rudolf M. Schindler-designed home comes on the market. When one does, it's likely to have concrete walls and a stark look, standing on a steep, once inexpensive lot.

Schindler was known for frugality. An exception was the Rodriguez House, designed by the Austrian in 1941. This home, built for a family named Rodriguez, is on a gently sloping site in a pastoral area of Glendale.

Schindler, who studied with Frank Lloyd Wright, emulated his teacher's style in this home, using redwood framing with stucco and Santa Maria stone veneers. His L-shaped floor plan encloses gardens in the front and rear. The bedroom wing, with a sleeping porch, is elevated over a breezeway linking the gardens.

To further the idea of bringing the outdoors in, Schindler used walls of glass to line the public rooms and raised the roof in the rear to allow treetop views through clerestory windows.

Green shades of paint on the outside blend with the landscaping, which is highlighted by a stone swimming pool and an ornamental pond.

There is built-in furniture in most rooms.

About this house: Schindler saw only 150 of his projects built, and although almost all were constructed in the L.A. area, they included apartment and commercial buildings as well as single-family homes. Many of his projects have been demolished. Of the few houses that remain, most were designed after the Depression, using cheaper materials, locations and construction processes. Even so, Schindler is more revered now than in his lifetime, which ended in 1953.

This house is registered for tax benefits under the Mills Act.

Asking price: $2 million

Size: The house has four bedrooms and four bathrooms in just under 2,400 square feet. It's on a double lot of 13,800 square feet.

Features: Copper panels for the fireplace in the master bedroom were designed by a member of the Rodriguez family.

The swimming pool is new, and the kitchen has been rebuilt. The home also has a garden workshop, wine storage, two screened-in patios, air conditioning in most rooms and copper plumbing.

Where: Glendale

Listing agent: Peter Martocchio, (626) 792-0086, and David Goldberg, (626) 792-0474, both with Sotheby's International Realty, Pasadena.

http://www.latimes.com/classified/reale ... realestate

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby nichols » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:50 pm

The last MODCOM Commercial meeting was held in this house. It is fantastic. You should have been there.

TINY picture at LAOkay
http://www.laokay.com/R.M.Schindler.htm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:41 pm

One full-page color photo is seen in Lionel March and Judith Scheine's Academy Editions "RM Schindler," but the best coverage appears to be in Ms Scheine's exquisite little GG volume, where four sections, two plans, an original perspective drawing and five photos describe the house quite well (althought the plans are not anotated as to room designation).

There are random stone floors in the upper gallery, an unusual use of random "ashlar" stone veneer inside and out, and a soft olive-painted exterior. The house surrounds but largely ignores the exterior space enclosed by its L-shaped plan; the exception is the fully-glazed gallery at the top of the entrance stairs, from which one turns 180 degrees to advance into the living room, passing under the lower edge of the large clerestory window, with its up-and-down light trough (the lower edge of translucent material, reminiscent of a familiar Neutra detail).

The rear garden is landscaped as a little hilltop, which can be accessed by passing under the bedroom wing from the entrance level and up a series of increasingly steep steps. It may be the orientation of the house relative to the sun which suggested to Schindler this use of the "inner" and "outer" faces of the house; several of the resulting effects, including the elevated main rooms and the "of-the-hill-not-on-the-hill" landscaping scheme, are reminiscent of Wright's work. (One assumes the added pool has been placed "on" the hilltop. . .)

Quite right, Craig; the article is certainly dismissive of most of the man's work, and implies that not much of it remains. I count approximately 66 built projects, most of them houses, in a list in one of the books; I believe the majority of those are still standing.

Thanks for bringing us the article. (My "tour" was taken entirely on paper; anyone else with personal expeience should feel free to add or subtract to/from what I have surmised.) Nichols, the photo on LAOkay enlarges to about 3x4 -- thanks for that. Any comments or observations?

It sounds like the house may be mostly intact -- at leat one bathroom has probably been added. I wonder if the "stone pool" matches the original stone veneer, and what the original color(s) might have been. . .

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

bananabobs
Modern Master

Re: Fast Schindler Sale!

Postby bananabobs » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:50 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:53 am

The complete list of projects and buildings, included in David Gebhard's "Schindler" (1980), shows appprox 137 completed buildings in the US; of these, 97 are houses, duplexes or double houses, or remodelings of houses, 14 are apartment buildings, and 26 are commercial or other properties. There are approx 175 unbult projects; of these, 62 are houses. The period is 1916 to 1953 (37 years).

Of the 97 in the first group, only 15 are shown as destroyed; of the surviving examples, 50 are houses and 32 are duplexes, double houses or remodelings. Many of these are recorded as "remodeled."

Of the 14 apartment buildings listed, only one is shown as destroyed. Nine of the 26 'commercial or other' have survived, in some form.

I do not have the William Stout re-issue of this book, so do not know if Gebhard's list has been updated.

SDR
Last edited by SDR on Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ch

Postby ch » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:03 am

Yes, he was most definitely known for his use of simple, inexpensive materials used in creative ways. What I was objecting to mostly in this article was the implied tone that Schindler was an inferior architect in that he built on "cheap" lots with inferior quality. While you could argue that this was the case, it is a simplistic description of the time and place that the work was done and completely undermines the man's significant contribution to modern architecture. There is more creative design in any of the man's buildings, no matter how modest, than in many expensive, designer structures being built today by people who confuse the cost of materials with the quality of the architecture.

As for the limited number of buildings there are two significant reasons why. First, a great part of the man's career was during the depression when many architects and firms went completely under. Also, during WWII materials and clients were quite limited. Secondly, it was Schindler's practice to only take as many jobs as he himself could supervise. Unlike Neutra and his "architecture by remote control", Schindler tried to be on site constantly tweaking the design. Can you imagine getting this kind of attention in building a house today - you are lucky to get the contractor to even call you back.

For Schindler, it was architecture as art, matching house to site, client and budget as creatively as possible. Today, people install expensive Italian glass tile, basin sinks and SUV size ranges then step back and say, "Aren't I modern!"

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:11 am

Ms Ryon refers to the "steep, once-inexpensive lot[s]" as though that were a sign of inferior architecture or an unworthy client. She misses completely the fact that some of the most significant residential architecture in Southern California was the work of young architects ready to solve the problems of their equally-young clients, who needed to take advantage (if they could) of bargain-priced land; it was the ingenuity of those architects that resulted in new ways of planning and building.

SDR

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:26 pm

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:26 pm

Craig, right on with your defense. No architect gave as much for the money as Schindler did. He was such a generous guy to his clients.

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:55 am

You're gonna love this.... Go to:

http://www.therodriquezhouse.com

and enjoy the slide show!

ch

Postby ch » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:14 am

WOW!

Thank you S.S. What a treat for the eyes. I wonder who the lucky new owner is?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:00 am

Thank you, thank you, Synthetic Space and Sotheby's!

I'm speechless. Nice collection of Wright and Mackintosh furnishings, Secessionist graphics, etc. Generous assortment of interior and exterior views (love the twilight shots). And nobody ever painted the interior woodwork! I wonder how many owners there were?

Is there a way to freeze the slideshow, anybody?

SDR :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:52 am

JAB

Postby JAB » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:01 pm

Damn! I echo the thanks to Sotheby's for putting it together and to synthetic space for bringing us the link. Damn! I'm moved!

SDR, no objection to the swimin' hole from me!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:58 pm

Well, it's the greatest photographic house tour I think I've ever seen -- sets the standard for real estate sales promotion, that's for sure! And, yes, the house looks great. And I'm sure I wouldn't be the first one to rip out the "swimming hole," if I were the lucky new owner.

So what's the deal; is it sold? Was it furnished as shown for the MODCOM meeting, or is that some super photo styling? (Don't answer if it would be an indiscretion. . .)

Bender need new pad

JAB

Postby JAB » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:03 pm

A link to the photographer's site:

http://www.efg3.com/

Is there a cooler staircase anywhere than in Lautner's Wolff House?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:38 pm

Looked just like that when we had the meeting. The owner was very gracious and kind.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:07 pm

I would like to view those photos -- the lines must be a little loaded right now. The Wolff is one wonderful exercise in vertical organic romance. Lautner says it's the closest he ever came to Wright's architecture, as that was the client's wish. The two big illustrated books give tantalizing glimpses of the house; Alan Hess's book (photos by Alan Weintraub) artfully shows the house in mid-remodel -- there is a pile of material on the living room floor, and the deck outside the incredibly tall and subtly-framed doors is stripped to the joists -- and looks like a million dollars, nevertheless!

Thanks for the link - SDR :cheers:

Mies
Modern Socialite

Postby Mies » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:37 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:40 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:33 am

The Taschen "Rudolf [sic] Michael Schindler" (Esther McCoy tells us he disliked his first name -- usually spelled Rudolph -- and used "RM" in his work) by James Steele (1999) shows a redrawn plan (Scheine prints an original drawing). The changes are in the shape of the study windows (in plan); the location of the entance lavatory (originally shown backing the fireplace); the addition of a dressing room in the bedroom; and the removal of the canted worktop in the sewing room, adjacent to the kitchen.

The house as shown in the current photos seems to conform to the earlier drawing, in the above-mentioned particulars (a fir wardrobe cabinet appears to have been added to the bedroom). This would suggest that a restoration has been undertaken.

SDR

ch

Postby ch » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:21 pm

Pretty Pictures!

This house is a gut renovation. I used to drive by it when I lived in Hollywood. It had chain link fencing around it for the longest time, it's great to see it finally finished. For such a later work, the previous owners had done some hideous things - bad additions, this horrible brickwork that covered practically the entire front yard, etc. It's hard to believe that this is the same house I remember. I think they did a remarkable renovation/restoration, so much closer to the spirit of the original design

BUT...

Can we all now pledge NEVER to install those basin-type sinks? I mean, they were nice when the first turned up but they have become SO cliche already. And they don't belong in midcentury houses one bit. If you want to see Schindler's idea of a great sink go to his house on Kings Road - now that's a great sink.

I look forward to the day when some future architectural discussion group talks about the really, really dated mid-'00 bathroom they couldn't wait to rip out - especially all those basin sinks.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:09 pm

Mies
Modern Socialite

Postby Mies » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:47 pm

The asking price is $1,859,000.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:21 pm

Schindlerphiles note -- extensive transcription of Esther McCoy's Schindler chapter from her "Five California Architects," on another thread:

www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2833&start=25

SDR :cheers:

ch

Sold!

Postby ch » Sun May 29, 2005 3:37 am

Michael J. Murray, a screenwriter-producer of TV movies, has purchased the Rodriguez House in Glendale for its asking price of $2 million. The house was designed by architect Rudolf Schindler.

Murray, who sold his 1906 Greene & Greene home last month, plans to restore the four-bedroom, 2,400-square-foot Schindler house, built in 1941 for Jose Rodriguez, who hosted a classical music program on radio station KFI, and his wife, June Giesler Rodriguez.

Her sister, Margaret Giesler Buxton, worked with the late designer Tony Duquette on nightclubs and department stores. Buxton designed the copper fireplace panels in the house's master bedroom and a gazebo where the swimming pool is now.

Jose and June Rodriguez moved into the home the day after Pearl Harbor was attacked and sold the house in the mid-'60s. Jose Rodriguez died in the late '70s. June Rodriguez lives in Oakland and will turn 99 this year, according to her granddaughter, Meg.

Murray is president of the board of directors of the Friends of the Gamble House, a Greene & Greene landmark at which he has been a docent since 1990.

He is working on the Lifetime movie "The Christmas Wish," about a house owned by one family for more than 100 years. He wrote three CBS Christmas movies starring Peter Falk. They are: "When Angels Come to Town" (2004), "Finding John Christmas" (2003) and "A Town Without Christmas" (2001).

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun May 29, 2005 8:01 am

Good news ! Thanks, Craig. And we thank Synthetic Space for sharing the delicious slideshow, last month; it's still up, so feast your eyes again:

www.therodriquezhouse.com (note odd use of "q" in URL)

SDR :cheers: :cheers:

ch

Postby ch » Sun May 29, 2005 8:09 am

Given the great look of the house in the slide show in its current condition, we can only hope that the intended restoration isn't the same type that the Bailey house (as previously discussed) is undergoing.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun May 29, 2005 9:12 am

Eek ! As the new owner has involved himself previously in highly significant, historic SoCal architecture, I'm betting on a good result. It is hard to imagine what further restoration the house might need; the gazebo mentioned does not appear on Schindler's drawings of the house, a far as I know.

SDR

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Postby davidk6 » Mon May 30, 2005 7:09 am

Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”