L.A., CA - Fast Schindler Sale!

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ch » Mon May 30, 2005 7:47 am

Okay, I just happen to have such a bibliography. These are books written since Schindler's death. The list doesn't contain magazine or journal articles written either during Schindler's life or after his death - of which there are plenty.

R.M. Schindler / Bibliography

The Furniture Of R.M. Schindler
Editor: Marla C. Burns
Essay By David And Patricia Gebhard.
Santa Barbara. University Art Museum. University Of California By University Of Washington Press, Seattle & London, 1997

Mak Architecture Guide
Neues Publishing Company
Publisher: Prestel Verlag, Germany
Pub. Date: April 1996

R.M. Schindler
Author: Steele, James
Publisher: Taschen, 1999

Architectural Drawings Of R. M. Schindler: Vol. 1
The Architectural Drawing Collection, University Art Museum, University Of California, Santa Barbara,
David Gebhard
Publisher: Garland Publishing, Incorporated
Pub. Date: January 1993

Architectural Drawings Of R. M. Schindler, Vol. 2
The Architectural Drawing Collection, University Art Museum, University Of California, Santa Barbara
David Gebhard

Architectural Drawings Of R. M. Schindler, Vol. 3
The Architectural Drawing Collection, University Art Museum, University Of California, Santa Barbara
David Gebhard

Architectural Drawings Of R. M. Schindler, Vol. 4
David Gebhard

R M Schindler: Composition And Construction
Editor: March, Lionel & Sheine, Judith
Publisher: Academy Editions, 1993.

How House, R M Schindler
Author: Steele, James
Publisher: Academy, 1996

R. M. Schindler: An Exhibition Of The Architecture Of R. M. Schindler
University Of California Santa Barbara, 1967.
Text By David Gebhard and An Introduction By Esther Mccoy

Schindler
Author: Gebhard, David, Preface By Henry Russell Hitchcock.
Publisher: London, Thames And Hudson, 1971

Schindler
Author: Gebhard, David: Preface By Henry Russell Hitchcock
Publisher: Peregrine Smith, Santa Barbara, 1980

Schindler
Author: Gebhard, David
Publisher: William Stout Pub., San Francisco, 1997

Vienna To Los Angeles : Two Journeys
Author: Esther McCoy
Publisher: Arts & Architecture Press, Los Angeles
Pub. Date: May 1979

Five California Architects
Author: McCoy, Esther.
Publisher: Reinhold Publishing Corp. New York
Year Published: 1960

R.M. Schindler Architect
Author: August Sarnitz
Publisher: Rizzoli, New York
Year Published: 1988

Schindler House
Author: Kathryn Smith
Publisher: Harry Abrams, New York
Year Published: 2001

R.M. Schindler: Works and Projects (Obras Y Proyectos)
Author: Judith Sheine
Publisher: GG, Barcelona
Year Published: 1988

10 Houses: R.M. Schindler
Editor: Monica Gili
Publisher: 2G
Year Published: 1997, Barcelona

R.M. Schindler
Author: Judith Sheine
Publisher: Phaidon
Year Published: 200?

The Architecture of R.M. Schinlder
Editor: Elizabeth Smith, Michael Darling
Publisher: MOCA, Los Angeles
Year Published: 200?

As for John Lautner, the Lautner foundation maintains a lengthy webpage: http://www.johnlautner.org/biblio.html and as was previously mentioned the John Lautner site has tons of links: http://pages.videotron.com/mdaoust/

Hope this helps...

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Mon May 30, 2005 9:35 am

Thanks, Craig. I was going to take a stab at it, but none of the volumes I have (fewer than half of the list) has any bibliography at all, except for Gebhard's early book (of which the Stout publication is an enhanced reissue).

There have been a couple of issues of the Japanese publication "GA Houses" that have included Schindler work; the one I have is #26 (July 1989) and features the Kings Road house (with an article by James L Sweeney titled "A Real California Scheme" -- photos by W Fujii) and a reworked ("restored") house, the Levin/Carey, of 1924-34. Stefanos Polyzoides, apparently responsible [de Bretteville and Polyzoides, 1983] for the work, to a house already extensively modified, concludes his description thus:

"Other aspects of the design were based on our own sensibilities and imagination. Shaped profiles, dimensions, materials, lighting, colors, equipment were all chosen in awareness of the whole house but with the intention of generating a project that stands by itself. Juxtaposing a room or garden addition to a great building, in fact consciously transforming that building, is an act of greater respect than the mere reproduction of its original form." [!]
"Note: The garden project for the Levin/Carey house had not been executed, when this article was being written."

Neutra fans will be interested in the 13 pages of houses in "The Modern House in America" (James and Katherine Morrow Ford, Architectural Book
Publishing Co., NY, 1940). The houses are Beard (Altadena), H. Koblick (Silver Lake), Brown (Fisher's Island, NY), Kaufman (sic) (Westwood),
Miller (Palm Springs), N. Koblick (Atherton), Mosk (LA), and Ruben (Uplifters Canyon). The descriptions are replete with materials and colors
and are quite descriptive; the architect's interest in trying new materials
and techniques comes through strongly. ". . .polished cadmium steel sliding sash. . .chromed hardware. . .polished copper trim. . .bakelite-
topped bar. . .floor: terra cotta battleship linoleum on felt. . .exposed
structural posts and all other exterior woodwork: aluminum coated for
heat reflection. . .silver grey treated birchwood. . .battleship linoleum, eggplant color. . .walls of harmonizing pastel shades. . ."

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Postby davidk6 » Tue May 31, 2005 7:35 am

Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue May 31, 2005 9:45 am

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Postby davidk6 » Tue May 31, 2005 9:57 am

Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue May 31, 2005 10:15 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue May 31, 2005 10:29 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue May 31, 2005 12:33 pm

Do we know when Googie's disappeared? And wasn't there a "sister ship" by Lautner (?) but with another name? Or am I thinking of Lindy's/Sardi's?

By the way, those two restaurants are named in a song called "My Shining Hour," in a Fred Astaire/Joan Leslie vehicle from 1943 called "The Sky's The Limit" (RKO). . .

SDR

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Tue May 31, 2005 12:45 pm

ch

Postby ch » Tue May 31, 2005 2:27 pm

I think that Lautner did only the one Googies at Crescent Heights and Sunset. He did design other coffee shops - a few Coffee Dan's and Henry's, located around Southern California.

This work was done during and after the time he worked for Douglas Honnold, who also continued doing "googie" type coffee shops. Their falling out was caused by both Lautner and Honnold's wife falling in love with each other and leaving their respective spouses!

McCoy recalls RM Schindler often breakfasting at Googies, just down the road from the Kings Road house. How great, with Schwab's next door and the scandalous Garden of Allah across the way. Now we have that massive mini-mall on the site with the deep, deep parking garage that gave me such earthquake panic claustrophobia I could never drive down there again.

mlagirl80
Modern Socialite

a deal...

Postby mlagirl80 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:07 pm

that asking price is an incredible deal compared to the piles of poop that are selling in hollywood for a million... :cheers:

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:20 am

MD²

Postby MD² » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:09 pm

--
Last edited by MD² on Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:28 pm

I was actually thinking of the original Googie book, and I was thinking of period photos. Thanks for reminding me that Alan did use that construction photo. I found that one. It was an AP image of Schwab's drugstore. There is one more Shulman photo that is slightly different than the one with the baby stroller. It appeared in House & Home in 1952. Shulman told me his file just has the one picture.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:48 pm

Is there any record of Schindler and Lautner meeting? One wonders what Schindler might have thought of Googie's -- or any other Lautner work. I can't recall any words about Schindler, from Lautner. . .they were both at Taliesin, but separated in time by more than fifteen years; Schindler stopped working for Wright in the early twenties, while Lautner's first California work -- Wright's Sturges house -- was in 1939.

SDR

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:54 pm

SDR,

In Judith Scheine's book, she talks about Schindler, in the last years of his life, going to Googie's every morning for breakfast.

K

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:39 am

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:06 am

ch

Postby ch » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:28 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:06 pm

In 1980 David Gebhard wrote, "The Art Galleries of the University of California, Santa Barbara [UCSB] ... possess Schindler's original sketches, working drawings, specifications, correspondence, photographs, clippings and models." If I am not mistaken, Mr Gebhard was responsible for the University's acquisition of these materials.

In 1993 March and Scheine wrote, "Drawings and photographs, unless otherwise noted, have come from the Architectural Drawing Collection, University Art Museum, [UCSB], and we are grateful to David Gebhard and the staff at the Schindler Archives for their enthusiastic assistance. For his generosity with the use of the Kings Road House and other Schindler materials we would like to thank Robert Sweeney. Mark Schindler was also generous with his support."

SDR

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:50 pm

The Getty correspondence container list makes for interesting reading. The verification of Schindler's part in the design of the Shampay house (Chicago, 1919) seems to be information unavailable to Gebhard as of 1980. The initial requisition of a "boring machine" to be sent to Tokyo (for site work [?] at the Imperial Hotel) seems to have dragged on for more than a year! Etc, etc.

Thanks for that. SDR

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Rodriguez House for Sale

Postby Josquin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:07 pm

SusanneHayek
Modern Groupie

Postby SusanneHayek » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:23 am

I was the lucky photographer this time. You can see the new tour at http://www.therodriguezhouse.com/

It takes time to load because there are 52 pics and music but it's worth the wait!

It was a particular thrill for me because my kids grandfather on their dad's side commissioned the Kallis house which I never got to see.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”