Burbank, CA 1954 Koziol & Hawkins Home For Sale AMAZING

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

siobhanmarie
Modern Socialite

Burbank, CA 1954 Koziol & Hawkins Home For Sale AMAZING

Postby siobhanmarie » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:30 am

Run don't walk, to see this fabulous mcm in the Burbank Hills by Koziol & Hawkins (I haven't heard of them). I was driving by today (it's in my neighborhood) and they happened to be having an open house, so of course I went inside. This house is in 95% original condition and is being sold by its original owners...post and beam construction, loads of original built-in furniture, sliding interior doors, two sided fireplace, all original fixtures throughout and lots of storage. The kitchen is amazing. I don't think it's in the mls yet, and it's being listed by Mossler & Doe. There's an open house this Sunday afternoon...the address is 1001 N. Sunset Canyon Dr. Price is 1.2 million. It's definitely a WOW house that hasn't been altered significantly since it was built.

siobhanmarie
Modern Socialite

Postby siobhanmarie » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:52 am

here's a link to m&d's website with a photo of the home. has anyone heard of the architects?
http://www.md-d.com/address.php?property_ID=428

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:48 pm

Hmm -- Potential yumminess -- wish there were more photos. . .

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

siobhanmarie
Modern Socialite

Postby siobhanmarie » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:36 pm

yes, it is too bad there aren't more photos...this is one photogenic pad, believe me. i'm going to drag my husband to the open house tomorrow, so i'll try to take some photos while i'm there to post for everyone to ooh and ahh over.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:26 pm

Thank you ma'am. I majored in ooh-ing and ahh-ing in school, and like to keep in practice. . .!

SDR

siobhanmarie
Modern Socialite

Postby siobhanmarie » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:11 am

what a co-inky-dink! i'm actually majoring in drooling, with a minor in oohing and aahing!

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:40 am

Please do not take this the wrong way siobhanmarie because I have been trying to stop myself from doing this but...has anyone besides me noticed the overuse of the word "Actually"?

It is actually starting to drive me crazy!

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

so

Postby modfan » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:43 am

It looks like the recent fires missed this one, is there guardian angels and a god in heaven or what?

siobhanmarie
Modern Socialite

Postby siobhanmarie » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:20 am

actually, i hadn't noticed. :)
as for the fires, they occured quite a distance up the hillside from this house. i live in the same general area and there's been a few fires since we've lived here, none of which have made it down into the more populous residential areas. this house is located on the outer edge of that area, but i suppose fire is always a risk when you live anywhere in the foothills in southern ca.

siobhanmarie
Modern Socialite

Postby siobhanmarie » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:54 am

I was able to find out at the open house that his home was designed by a pair of USC architecture students.

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Burbank House

Postby Josquin » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:31 pm

Additional photos are now available on md&d's web site. This is really a spectacular post and beam house in a nice area of Burbank.

siobhanmarie
Modern Socialite

Postby siobhanmarie » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:25 pm

spectacular perfectly describes this house...and it's about time they posted more photos. even the laundry room is beautiful, and it has a view. i would LOOK FORWARD to doing laundry in that house.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:51 pm

Wow -- check that out. Recent commenters, speaking about a "warmer modern" on other threads, have a perfect example to point to, here. . .

SDR

allen
Modern Master

koziol and hawkins

Postby allen » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:47 pm

About the designers, Koziol & Hawkins, both later became architects. Walter Koziol had at least one house published in Arts & Architecture Magazine Feb. 1961 ( you can look up it at the Library ) a fantastic hillside house in Glendale that is still there. Jasper Hawkins won the Producers Council Award as a student, went on to work with notable architects Boyd Georgi of Pasadena and Wm Cody of Palm Springs before forming a partnership with Thomas Lindsey. Together they designed many notable award winning apartment buildings. Their firm office was located at 401 Silverlake Blvd. ( you can find published work of theirs in House & Home Magazine ).

WillowandSlim
Modern Fan

Koziol & Hawkins, Albizati Residence 1954

Postby WillowandSlim » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:37 am

Thanks for all of your kind notes. I am one of the listing agents and we're certainly fortunate to be able to market this property. The comment of one poster regarding the house being in 95% original condition is really true. The only significant alteration to the residence is the kitchen counters. The carpet and linoleum is new and replaced the original intent of the interior finishes. The deck and perimeter fencing was completly rebuilt and the house's plumbing was also recently replaced before going on the market. We're going to be open again this Sunday the 20th from 1-4. This is a good opportunity for curious modernists and would-be owners of significant architecture to see this residence which has never been viewed before. We have nine or so photos up on architectureforsale.com now. All the best, J.R. Davidson

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Postby Synthetrix » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:32 pm

Absolutely beautiful! .....sigh.....
Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten
http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

Midlife Modern
Modern Socialite

Best house I've seen recently.

Postby Midlife Modern » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:36 am

Love the tree growing up through the deck!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:01 pm

The "ghost rafters" at the end(s) of the roof are like those used in several of HH Harris's houses.

The shot of the "dining pavilion" is lovely, and intriguing: could that possibly be a "ridgeless" skylight, on both roof surfaces, between rafters. . .??

SDR

Josquin

Albizati Residence

Postby Josquin » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:24 pm

I had a chance to see this house on Tuesday and I'm amazed to see it still on the market. The house is really stunning with almost all the original details. Here are some photos: View from the carport. Image
Entry vestibule looking toward the bedrooms. To the right is the living area and behind the kitchen Image
Great room. Image
Looking toward the kitchen/dining area.Image
Bedroom looking toward the hallway.Image
Masterbed room looking out toward the porch.Image
Masterbed room looking towards the masterbath.Image
Last edited by Josquin on Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:56 pm

Great pics, Josquin - thanks !

The master bedroom "wet-glazed" corner shows a variation of Neutra's trick for supporting an "unsupported" all-glass corner, by moving the post well outside the glass line. Works like a charm !

What a superb house. . .

SDR

ValleyModern
Modern Master

Koziol & Hawkins

Postby ValleyModern » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:43 pm

This home is now listed by your friends at ValleyModern.com. For more pictures and info:

http://www.valleymodern.com/forsale/hom ... 22300&cat=

We will be open on Sunday from 2-5pm, so come on over to 1001 Sunset Canyon in Burbank. We'd love to show you around!
Craig Terrien
Deasy/Penner & Partners
www.ValleyModern.com

siobhanmarie
Modern Socialite

Postby siobhanmarie » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:00 pm

why is this incredible house still on the market?? here's my humble opinion, as a current (and soon to be former) burbanker and someone who has been through this house and raved about it on this board.
first of all, the siting just doesn't do this house justice. with all those walls of glass, one would want some privacy, but this house didn't feel private enough to me-the neighbors are close, both behind and to the side. there is a neighbor with a two story next door that looks right into the back yard and glass dining area. also, it is situated on a corner, with one of the streets being an official truck route, even though it is a residential street. with the fires and mud of last fall in the area, there's been tons of loud dump trucks up and down the only two truck routes into the foothills - this one, as well as the road i currently live on.
in addition, i just don't think that too many burbankers 'get' this house and aren't particularly interested in mid century modern architecture. there is a small contingent of 50's style, rock-a-billy lovin', residents, but i don't think many of them have the cash for this one million dollar+ home.
also, my good friend, who is a real estate agent, reported that at the first broker's open house, most of the agents she overheard absolutely did not get this house, and were discussing all the renovations (ie. columns) that would need to be done to make this house liveable.
this house came onto the market when we were searching for a mid century modern home, but it was at the very tippy top of our price range (actually it was a bit above it), and we decided that for that much money or less, we could find a great house on a quieter street with some privacy too. i can only assume that other potential buyers are perhaps thinking the same things.
too bad this house couldn't be magically picked up and moved somewhere else hipper and quieter (sorry fellow burbankers!).

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:08 pm

Well, it's been done before -- a move, that is. In the case of this house, it would be a dismantle and move, with the re-erection a major expense. Wonder how it would compare, cost-wise, to new construction ? Definitely a labor of love, and a laudable example of architectural preservation -- one of those worst-case scenarios like the imminent destruction of the Imperial Hotel ?

SDR

PS -- I wish an architect would tell me how the shear works in this very open post-and-beam structure; a couple of the gable-ends seem almost completely devoid of lateral support !
Last edited by SDR on Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

siobhanmarie
Modern Socialite

Postby siobhanmarie » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:14 pm

and this house is so worthy of preservation. i guess all you'd need is the perfect piece of land for the house and a couple million bucks. and, you could sell the empty lot in burbank and recoup some of your investment. must be worth at least $600,000 or so.

Josquin

Albizati Residence

Postby Josquin » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:57 am

This house is on a difficult lot, but not an unworkable lot. A judicious use of walls, screens and more appropriate landscaping would really help increase privacy, reduce noise and increase usability. Of course, this would require some imagination and the removal of a lot of ivy. My wife and I looked at this house and we both loved it, but the lot and location just wouldn't work for us and our bevy of Brittany spaniels.

SIB723
Modern Fan

Postby SIB723 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:42 pm

Another fantastic house. I've been in this one too. Can't disagree, Josquin. It's possible to enhance its position with some creativity and hard work.

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Still in love with this house.

Postby Synthetrix » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:54 am

I can't beleive this place has not sold yet. Where's my lottery check? Oh yeah I don't play the lottery.
:P
Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten

http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

ValleyModern
Modern Master

open

Postby ValleyModern » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:08 pm

We will be open tomorrow, Sunday April 29, from 2-5. Stop in and say hi.

Best,
Craig Terrien

Deasy/Penner & Partners

www.ValleyModern.com

Ryan
Modern Fan

built -in appliances

Postby Ryan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:08 am

I love that built-in toaster. Any idea what brand that was?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:10 pm

. . .And is that a built-in electric can-opener to the left of the toaster ?

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”