Burbank, CA 1954 Koziol & Hawkins Home For Sale AMAZING

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:51 pm

Right on. (Who said that ? Surely not Franklin. . .)

Welcome ! SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Koziol & Hawkins Home

Postby Josquin » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:25 pm

How disappointing! :( This was a great house waiting for a sensitive updating, but look what happened. The house wasn't restored it was remodeled. All the built-ins and original cabinetry have been removed, some of the windows facing the street in the kitchen have been removed and replaced by cabinetry, the mitered windows in the living/dining area and master bedroom are gone, all of the wood paneling has been painted or removed, the fireplace float has been replaced with a veneered black marble block foundation, there is a black electrical conduit going up the side of the fireplace to a flat screen TV, the slate entry has been replaced by wood flooring, and vinyl windows everywhere. The place looks ponderous, compared to the original.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:48 pm

The one good part of an real estate downturn is that these flippers will finally get their comeuppance.

spinsLPs

Postby spinsLPs » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:37 pm

egads wrote:The one good part of an real estate downturn is that these flippers will finally get their comeuppance.

Here, here!!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:12 pm

Too bad a bunch of us couldn't have gotten together to save this beauty from such a fate. (I'm now dependent on Social Security, so mine would have been a token contribution, I'm afraid.)

I suppose it will now be up to somebody to restore it back to the way it was six months ago. . .

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Jeez

Postby modfan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:42 am

Some folks have no clue when to leave well enough alone.
Not bad at least it's relatively sensitive but I would preferred the 'before'.
And what's with this grass all over I thought to conserve water one would go with a more envirofriendly xeriscape. Again those with the power and money are clueless.
Hope they get LOTS less than the asking price!!!! Maybe then they'll learn their lesson. (sadly probably not)

KevinEP
Modern Master

Postby KevinEP » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:44 am

Really too bad.

It would be great, if unlikely, if Verdugo magazine did a follow up.

Unfortunately, this is just the most recent in a long list of great mid-century resources that Burbank has lost. When you combine apparently uninsterested residents with an effectevily meaningless preservation policy, this is the outcome.

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Postby Synthetrix » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:25 pm

Man, I get depressed too often after visiting this site.
I was so into this house when it went on the market. I watched for months as it sat, wondering why someone with an appreciation for this gem had not snatched it up and gave it the loving restoration it deserved.
Maybe one day I will be able to afford to rescue one of these sad architectural treasures.
There is an amazing post & beam place from the mid-60s that is for sale in RPV for 1.7 million. It's really nice. I hope it does not end up getting this kind of treatment.
Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten
http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

siobhanmarie
Modern Socialite

Postby siobhanmarie » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:12 pm

what a pathetic outcome for one of the best homes i have ever had the pleasure to experience (before it sold to the visionary who now owns it). i have one word as to the reason for what was was perpetrated here...BURBANK. as a former "burbanker" i am painfully aware that there is next to no market for mid century moderns in this area, which is probably why it sat on the market for so long and why it ended up in the wrong hands. i could just puke.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”