Redlands, Ca Cliff May

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Redlands, Ca Cliff May

Postby JAB » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:04 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:41 am

hey JB

according to Kramer's site, this house is "sale pending"

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby JAB » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:53 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:34 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:56 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:13 am

I am not a realtor, nor ever will be, but I read "sale pending" as "game over."

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:31 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:25 pm

Hey, you two -- Here's my chance to have a Cliff May question answered ! The second photo on the first link above shows a pair of flush doors in the standard 5' 6"(?) opening, as exterior doors. Once and for all, is this a standard Cliff May pre-fab/tract home detail ? Would this be the primary entrance ("front door") ?

Thanks for straightening me out. . .(if only that were possible) !

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:57 pm

sdr: one of two possibilities... it's either a builder's change, or Cliff May switched to solid entry doors late in '54 - early '55. The house of listed in this thread has been remodeled so it's hard to tell about those entry doors.

In my subdivision, built in 1954-55, 16 of the 18 Cliff Mays have a solid entry door, some with obscure sidelights like mine. They are original. A couple, including the model house have double french doors. The older Cliff May subdivision a mile away, built in 1953-54, all have double french door entry.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:07 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:14 am

Thanks for the info and pics. So, the earlier "double French doors" would be the standard two-lite door, just like those at the rear of the house ?

The "universality" of the original detail is in keeping with the "no Front, no Back" ideal. I'm reminded of Wright's early complaint about the Victorian monstrosities of the day: "They have a Queen Anne front and a Mary Ann back !"

SDR (*yawn* good morning !)

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:36 am

KateT(CA)
Modern Master

Postby KateT(CA) » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:26 am

Stephen, that's a beautiful picture of the front doors of the Guyse-Braswell home we are buying (escrow closes Thursday!) Some of the other Cliff Mays in the area have plain single doors, one I know of has a single door with a sidelight. The remuddlers have those awful Home Despot fan window oak veneer uglies.

Jeff's restovation is meticulous, incredibly attentive to detail, and the doors are absolutely perfect. Everything Jeff & Carla did to the house - which was badly in need of restovation - is truly in the spirit of Cliff May. We are so very fortunate to have the opportunity to continue their work, and to preserve and enjoy everything they have done.

The exterior of the house is a lovely color in the chartreuse range (the original, perfectly matched by Jeff). I am thinking of doing the exterior of the doors the same turquoise as the kitchen cabinetry (they are white now) as I really believe in a colorful front door and it would echo the color you see when they are opened.

Just a note to all you fine folks, but especially Stephen and Joe - I hope you will both come to our housewarming which we hope to have sometime in May.

We are also in the process of creating a website for the Pomona Westmont Cliff Mays and hope to become active in the neighborhood's restoration and preservation.
Best regards,

Kate
Best regards,
Kate at Studio 85

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:17 am

KateT(CA)
Modern Master

Postby KateT(CA) » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:52 am

Joe, we are planning to have our ofuro (Japanese bath) in that great area between house & garage and a lush tropical garden back there, too! I have orchids which I have been growing for many years.

You are right about the pergola area - we will be doing patio construction and plantings in the next couple of years.

I jus can't wait!

Kate
Best regards,

Kate at Studio 85

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:29 pm

Modern Motoring
Modern Fan

Postby Modern Motoring » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:49 pm

nice place, but god am I tired of seeing dinning room sets wrapped up like they are ready for shippment! Image

Was that a Martha Stewart idea after she wrapped herself in Saran wrap for Valentines Day ?? :roll:

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:49 pm

Hah ! Yeah, say "Goodbye" to that. . .

Congrats, Kate -- and, I like your color ideas. Not everybody would mix chartreuse and turquoise -- but this is a perfect period-inspired combo, to my way of thinking.

Enjoy !

tmkobold
Modern Groupie

Notes from the owner...

Postby tmkobold » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:08 pm

We are taking backup offers. The buyer is required to lift their contingencies on the home Wednesday, 3/8.

The front doors are not original, the original doors opened closer to the fireplace with plans to show.

...and thank you to the Peanut Gallery for the critique on our dining room set...

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:59 am

tmkobold: sorry about the dining-room set. I am sure it's quite nice.

Hope you get what you want for your house. I hope the buyers are sympathetic towards Cliff May and your house. Have you found anything in SD yet? Did you find the Cliff May tract?

KateT(CA)
Modern Master

Postby KateT(CA) » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:11 pm

tmkobold - I had to laugh at the dining room comments - nothing ever pleases *everyone* - love the color. Your house is really spectacular and I hope it sells - for over asking price - to some one who will cherish it.

Kate
Best regards,

Kate at Studio 85

tmkobold
Modern Groupie

Postby tmkobold » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:48 pm

The only Cliff May "tract" out here is more of a grouping in Talmadge. We have not found other tracts, but we are aware of individuals built around the area. We're headed out to Talmadge tomorrow actually, but there are no Cliff May's for sale at this time. We haven't found what we're looking for yet, but we've got a few more weeks before we have to make a decision on something.

We got more for our Cliff May house than I was expecting, but mainly because our agent priced it right. The buyer-to-be also knew about Cliff May and wanted "proof" ours was authentic. Most of our potential buyers were attracted to the home because of the LOCATION, and it was the LOCATION and Condition of the home that gave us the market price. As a seller, it was to our advantage when we knew the buyer wanted a Cliff May for negotiating purposes after I received the bid.

I actually sat in on one Open House posed as a potential buyer and heard people come into the home and turn around immediately saying "this house is way too contemporary" - I wonder what they would've said 50 years ago?

This house closes completely later this month. It's been a real trip living there. We're really sad to leave. The good news is that the United Movers said we don't have to pack our dining room chairs - apparently they're already wrapped...

Troy

Modern Motoring
Modern Fan

Postby Modern Motoring » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:49 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:27 pm

tmkobold: I meant the Cliff May tract in San Diego, where you are moving to. I passed along a link locating a tract of Cliff May homes.

If a buyer wants proof of authenticity, poke a hole in the sheet rock of one of the wall panels. Every wall panel has the stamp

Homes never fetch more because of who designed them. It's always about location and square footage.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:40 pm

MoneyPitModern
Modern Master

Postby MoneyPitModern » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:40 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:40 pm

Stephen, why do say my statement is untrue, then basically back up what I said??

I am not placing anything above location.

In a neighborhood of predominately 1400 square foot homes, a rare 1800 square foot house will sell for more. This is, of course, all other factors being equal.

MPM: I was referring to tract built homes designed by architects. Custom homes with a pedigree sometimes get a little more interest and occasionally fetch a little more money than a similar house on the same size lot in the same location.

There has been a little more interest in Cliff Mays, Eichlers, Alexanders, Rummers, and other MCM homes in the past couple years, but there is no credible statistic that says these home sell for more than the non-architect designed homes of the same size and same location. Once in a rare moon, that extra interest might cause a bidding war on a particular house, but it is not a trend, rather the exception. I am sure this happens with the crap houses too.

Since the market has been so hot over the last year, everything is selling for crazy money!

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:00 pm

Last edited by Stephen on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:57 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:45 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”