Fresno, CA - Eichler-like MCMs at great price

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

r'n'r_beautyqueen
Modern Socialite

Postby r'n'r_beautyqueen » Mon May 15, 2006 4:27 pm

And it is $849,000, the price of a 1,100 sq ft 2 bedroom condo in SF, :oops:

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Miguel » Mon May 15, 2006 4:44 pm

Hey, r'n'r.... we're still recruiting for good people here... keep the valley in mind ;-).. it's a-changing.

Miguel
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Miguel » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:30 am

Today is foothill day (for those looking for seclusion):

Beautiful post and beam in 5 acre lot in the Foothills NE of Fresno:
$929,000, 3 BD, 2.50 BA, 2,593 sqft

*** GOOD NEWS *** The Van Ness home sold to MCM enthusiasts that intend to preserve it!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:29 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:36 am

New listing:

1957 Bob Stevens in nice established Sunnyside neighbourhood. Same builder as my home (Jerry Freeman); it has all the original traits of Bob Stevens homes: beautiful redwood heart panneling, masonite walls in the bedrooms, signature bottlebrush tree in the large back yard, etc.

I visited this property last week and it only needs minor restoration (replacing the front window, removing carpet, replacing some of the light fixtures, removing add-on porch in the back is optional). Large back windows open up to back yard large enough to have a pool with plenty room left over. It has the original kitchen in great shape with original copper accents (Westinghouse oven, etc.)

$349,000 4 BD, 2 BA, 2,100 sqft , 14,560 sqft lot

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:50 pm

$498,950, 3BD, 2.75BA; 2,642 sqft in a 14,144 sqft lot

Nice 1956 Sunnyside ranch-style home; beautiful original details such as kitchen cabinetry, bathroom fixtures, exposed ceiling and wall wood, great fireplaces:

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:37 pm

Great 1952 soaring post&beam/ranch home
$789,000, 7 BD, 3 Full/1 Partial BA, 3,912 Sqft in a 19,200 sqft lot with pool and RV parking.

Fig Garden adobe modern
$439,000; 3 BD, 3 BA, 2,378 Sqft with pool and RV parking setup:

*REDUCED* 1955 Bob Stevens down the street from my place; needs some TLC and commitment to bring it to its original layout:
$299,000; 4BD, 3BA, 2,256 SqFt in 8,320 Lot

Miguel

Annnnd another great listing...

Postby Miguel » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:56 am

Great 1960 modern home in Visalia (about 30 min south of Fresno):
$497,000, 4 BD, 3BA, 2,372 Sqft on 16,019 Sqft lot
Baths 3 Price/Sq Ft 205.31

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:06 am

I lived in Visalia for a year and I really enjoyed it there! It's a "small town" feel with all the conveniences of a city :) I found the people to be really friendly, too!
"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:47 pm

Cute 1966 San Joaquin Golf Course Condo
(should overlook the furniture and some out-of-place details)
$499,000, 2BD, 2BA, 1,725 Sqft in a 2,520 lot:

Miguel

New Bob Stevens Listing!!!

Postby Miguel » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:33 am

This beautiful 1960 home by famed Fresno architect Robert W. Stevens is located in one of the most desirable areas in Fresno (close to Fig Garden Village). Terrazzo in the living room, cinder block fireplace and wall in the family room, and an indoor garden planter. Two car garage.

$515,000, 3BD, 2 BA, 2,212 Sqft in 13,832 Sqft lot.

[/img]

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:10 am

I finally toured this 1960 home in Sequoia Drive yesterday, and my jaw dropped...

Huge courtyard with newly replastered pool, tennis courts, koy pond, huge 3-car garage, glass all around, beautiful kitchen..... I'm hooked! The layout of the home is just awesome (U-shaped around the pool).

There are 1 or 2 small details that are not true to the home and can easily be changed (like the glass block walls), but that's minimal compared to the multitude of original and appropriately restored details, like the mahogany walls and cabinetry all throughout the house, sliding glass doors, etc. This home is definitely a must see for people longing for a large, expansive, open mid-century space in a gorgeous setting. The pictures truly don't do it justice, so I recommend a personal visit!

$1,370,000, 4 BD, 5BA, 5,635 Sqft in a 40,800 lot with tennis courts, huge pool, koy pond, etc.

[for some detailed info on this home, Eldon at www.Fresnomodern.com is a good person to talk to]
Last edited by Miguel on Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

punagirl
Modern Fan

Nice pad!

Postby punagirl » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:17 am

Is this one in Sunnyside? Not that it's in my price range!

We are touring Fresno again in October coupled with a trip to Yosemite. Could you recommend any tasty non-chain spots to eat? Maybe Italian, pizza or a really good Mexican spot.

We stayed at the Picadilly on Shaw last time and it was just fine but I am open to any recommendations of other spots to stay.

How long does it take to get from Fresno to Yosemite? Would you drive back to Fresno each night after hiking or does anyone have a recommendation on where to stay near Yosemite?

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:28 am

Hi, Punagirl.

If you're coming back to Fresno, you should really see this place in Sequoia... it's worth it, even if it's not in your price range (it's not in mine either, but I'm playing to lotto from now on...).

There are a series of good restaurants in the area: Max's bistro is a good one (California/ International), Campagna (Italian/International), there's also a good French bakery in the Fig Garden Village (but I don't remember the name). As far as places to stay, if you want to remain the Shaw area, you can stay at the Marriott just down the street (it's your generic motel, but pretty decent).

To go the Sequoia/Kings Canyon, I recommend you go through Visalia (about 30 min southeast of Fresno to see the small city; you can stay overnight in one of the many motels/hotels downtown and will be able to enjoy the historic downtown area. From there is about 1 hr drive to the Sequoias.
Last edited by Miguel on Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I can recommend

Postby modfan » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:38 am

Miguel

Bob Stevens reduced to $499K

Postby Miguel » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:19 pm

*Now reduced to $499,000*, 3BD, 2 BA, 2,212 Sqft in 13,832 Sqft lot.

Beautiful 1960 home by famed Fresno architect Robert W. Stevens is located in one of the most desirable areas in Fresno (close to Fig Garden Village). Terrazzo in the living room, cinder block fireplace and wall in the family room, and an indoor garden planter. Two car garage.

http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/x1pNWjjk ... z4ViEg0koE

http://fresnomls.rapmls.com/scripts/mgr ... R3lg%3D%3D

millvalley94941
Modern Fan

Seeking help from Miguel and Kimba

Postby millvalley94941 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:49 am

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:40 am

Hi, Millvalley.

I'll try to answer all your questions:

I think the most desirable area of Fresno is the Northwest area (area that includes Fig Garden and Old Fig Garden). The area is bordered on the west side by the Santa Fe railroad track (N Brawley Ave, that turns into Fig Garden Drive), by N Blackstone Ave on the East Side, Herdon Ave in the North and Ashlan Ave in the South.

That area has a wide variety of beautiful custom mid-century homes nested in the middle of ranch-style home neighbourhoods. In the older part (Old Fig Garden), the area is heavily wooded, the streets have no curbs, and the number of MCMs is not as large (but there is a large number of cool older adobe ranch homes).

As far as dinning and shopping areas, off of Shaw Avenue and Palm Avenue, there's a really nice outdoor shopping mall (Fig Garden Village) that has Whole Foods, Jamba Juice, Starbucks, a French Bakery, some restaurants, and the run-of-the-mill retail stores such as Banana Republic, Pottery Barn, etc. Trader Joes is located fairly close too at the corner of Blackstone Ave and Barstow Ave.
In the northern side of Blackstone avenue there is a new large outdoor mall called River Park, with a wide number of restaurants, chain stores, (Gotchalks, Nordstrom Rack, etc.), and a multiplex cinema.

Visalia is a much smaller town, but it also has a few shopping/dining areas and a cute downtown area. Visalia is great if you're looking more for a small-town feel, but Fresno is a substantially larger place more suitable for people that like the energy of a city.

It took some time to Sacramento to head in the path of becoming a more creatively-minded city, but it is changing rapidly (I lived there for the last ~8 yrs and seen a lot of changes). Although, real-estate in Sacramento is substantially more expensive due to Bay Area migrants and is not as rich as Fresno in MCM architecture (outside of a few pockets of Eichler and Streng homes).

Fresno will change substantially in the upcoming years; I believe this is the right time to jump on the band wagon, because MCM real-estate is still very affordable (most people here are clueless on what they're sitting on). There are great homes in beautiful areas just asking to me painted/restored/maintaned... the Bob Stevens home listed below on N Roosevelt is just a perfect example of this... it only needs minor touch ups and it can be great! The location is great; I think the price is still too high and will drop enough for people to get truly interested in this gem. Of course, there are many other great MCM homes under $450K for sale (your best bet is to check www.fresnomodern.com for current listings). As I mentioned before, the best way to get a feel for a city it to make a scouting trip and see the sights.
Last edited by Miguel on Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Seeking help from Miguel and Kimba

Postby Joe » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:05 pm

Miguel

Fresno modern forum is active!

Postby Miguel » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:05 pm

Just wanted to let everybody know that www.fresnomodern.com forums are now active. Questions and discussion of topics related to Fresno modernism, moving to the central valley, community, etc are all welcomed and encouraged.

Local participants are especially welcome :D Check it out and contribute!

http://www.fresnomodern.com/forums/tabi ... fault.aspx

Miguel

Leo Wilson - now reduced to $798K

Postby Miguel » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:25 pm

Leo Wilson Custom Suburban Estate home on 2.3 acres.
Now $798,000; 5 BD, 3 BA, 2 offices, and a fenced pool with a rock waterfall; 4,265 sqft ; 11 car garage; has all amenities including Sub Zero, double ovens, 4 fireplaces:

http://guarantee.mlsb.com/mls/detail.cf ... &st=2&pv=1

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:43 pm

Cool touch!

Original pictures were included in the listing of this Vern Sorensen custom 1957 home ($349,000, 4 BD, 3 BA, 2,661 SqFt). Nice time capsule!

millvalley94941
Modern Fan

Postby millvalley94941 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:19 pm

I noticed in the details of the Sorenson home above that there was a death on the property. I'm wondering if anybody locally has additional information regarding this. Was the death recent, natural, homocide, suicide, etc?

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:39 pm

According to the listing realtor, the original owner died in the house of natural cause.

The seller is his son; I suspect that due to sentimental value, he wants to make sure the house goes to someone willing to restore it. He doesn't want it to become a teardown and is willilng to finance 100% of the loan to a buyer with good credit that is willing to put the effort into restoring the house.

If you need more detailed information, you can contact eldon@fresnomodern.com. He's been following the details of this listing since it first came in the market and knows a lot more about it than I do.

Miguel

New listing on Van Ness!

Postby Miguel » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:30 am

$1,400,000
1955 ranch on a massive lot with pool, tennis court, pond, etc.:

4BD; 3.5 BA; 3,543 Sqft in a 98,854 Sqft Lot (2.269 acres)

according to the realtor: "home with immaculate yards ideal for entertaining groups of any size. This park-like setting features a tennis court, oversized pool, pool house with his/her bathrooms and dressing rooms, winding trails throughout the property, a soothing pond with bridge and so much more! You have to see this gorgeous property to appreciate it in all its splendor!"

I was told by someone that visited the place that the pictures don't do it justice... great details in the fireplace, light soffits all over the place, imbeded terrazzo sink in the bathroom, casement windows, etc.
It deserves a personal visit.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:58 pm

Ignore the gotty furniture and details and imagine what you could do with this beautiful open-plan home (1979 - not official MCM, but great notheless)

$648,000 , 3 BD, 3 BA, 2,979 sqft in a 16,800 sqft lot.
http://www.londonproperties.com/mls-sea ... mls=270499

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:34 am

Nice 1956 home designed by Russell Leavenworth (a Frank Lloyd Wright student). Leavenworth apparently designed several homes in Fresno and spent the latter years of his life in a Frank Lloyd Wright home he purchased in the Mid West.

***Reduced to $399,000*** 3BD, 1.75 BA, 2,058 Sq Ft in 16,080 Lot

"Unique mid-century modern custom home of former FSU Professor. Easy walking distance to FSU campus. Extra large lot with mature trees in a park like setting. Circular driveway with 2 car carport. Clear redwood siding and trim that has been freshly painted. Expansive living room and dining combo with high ceilings measuring 40/17. Beautiful hardwood floors and tile in the kitchen and baths. The back family room and the utility room also have tile floors. There are patio areas on both the west and esat sides of the home. The home has nice windows that give the home a bright feel and provide many views of the wonderful yard. There is close freeway access to get you to any part of town with ease."

ImageImage
ImageImage
http://www.fresnomodern.com/homedetails ... fault.aspx
Last edited by Miguel on Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:22 pm

classic form

Postby classic form » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:16 am

Here. (glad he is)

KateT(CA)
Modern Master

Postby KateT(CA) » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:38 am

Miguel, these are so wonderful - I drool over the photos! Thank you for posting them!

Kate
Best regards,
Kate at Studio 85

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”