Fresno, CA - Eichler-like MCMs at great price

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ch » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:01 am

Wow,

Who knew there were still some affordible homes left in California! That stacked block home is a fantastic find for some lucky person. Of course I know nothing about the town/area but I have always loved stacked block.

Connie
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Connie » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:25 am

Reminds me of the lovely Ocala block homes in Southern Florida. Altough the blocks have a different format, it seems?

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:23 pm

Yup!

If people are willing to shed preconceptions about the central valley, they can be surprised and find plenty of great and affordable architectural homes. Places like Fresno, Modesto, etc are very rich with intact MCM architecture.

The stacked concrete block in this home makes it very unique for this area. Most of similar MCM construction in the area is post & beam with plaster, T111, or board and batten sidings. I haven't visited this place yet, but from the pictures, it seems to be in pretty good shape with tons of original details (kitchen, bathrooms, self supporting metal fireplace, etc). I'll take a look at it next weekend and will report back.

Miguel

Miguel

New listing!

Postby Miguel » Wed May 02, 2007 8:33 am

Great 1968 ranch home (reportedly a Cliff May) in one of the best areas in town, the San Joaquin Country Club. Aggregate flooring throughout living space. Fireplace in living and family rooms. Shake Roof. Sub-zero & double Thermador ovens in remodeled kitchen with melanine cabinets and wet bar.

$625,000, 3 BD, 2 BA, 2,418 Sqft in a 20,908 Sqft (1/2 acre) lot with pool and spa:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
http://www.fresnomodern.com/homedetails ... fault.aspx
Last edited by Miguel on Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Wed May 16, 2007 11:12 am

Great 1958 home by architect Walt Wagner, built by Taylor Wheeler.
This home is located in a very wooded area in one of the best areas of Fresno. Awesome ceilings! Kitchen and baths have been updated, but without significant changes to the original details:

$750,000, 3BA, 2 BD, 2,746 Sqft in a 17,500 Sqft (0.4) Acre) lot with pool
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
http://fresnomls.rapmls.com/scripts/mgr ... D&KeyRid=1

Miguel

Affordable gem in the rough

Postby Miguel » Thu May 31, 2007 10:11 am

Affordable 1963 gem in the rough near Sanger and large, open farmland area; can be a great place with the right owner:

$309,500, 3 BD, 2 BA, 1,724 Sqft in a 11,600 Lot (~0.27 Acre)
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
http://guarantee.idxre.com/idx/detail.c ... t=SFR&pv=1

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:27 pm

Remodeled 1959 Post and beam in the heart of NW Fresno (93711) with great details:
$644,000, 4 BD, 3 FBA, 1 PBA, 3,096 Sqft in a 19,000 Sqft lot

From the realtor's description:
"This beautifully updated home situated on a 19,000+ sf lot reflects an amazing appreciation for modern living while maintaining the simplicity of the mid-century era. Expansive glass walls (newer dual-pane windows) obscure the lines between the indoor and outdoor living spaces, while the extensive use of select wood ceilings, bamboo, marble & stained concrete flooring, architectural patterned concrete-block walls, & Black Granite countertops make this stunning residence truly distinctive. Originally desinged by Architect Chester John Keilan for Dr. and Mrs. Schwartz in 1959, this home offers an open kitchen with maple cabinets & S.S. Bosch and Fisher & Paykel appliances. All bathrooms feature marble flooring, floating bamboo and granite counters with porcelain vessel vanities. The master bath has been re-designed & enlarged to offer the feeling of a high-end resort bath with a marble-finished, shower and Jacuzzi tub. This home is highlighted with original mid-century light fixtures. "

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by Miguel on Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Miguel

Another Post & Beam needs rescue

Postby Miguel » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:59 am

This 1959 Shed roof home is located in University Terrace, just Southeast of Fresno State campus and fairly close to my neighborhood.
I needs some TLC, but at this price I think it's worth it for someone committed to make it shine again.

$275,000, 3 BD, 2 BA, 2,164 Sqft in a 9,936 Sqft lot:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Miguel

Another Cliff May for sale

Postby Miguel » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:43 am

1965 Cliff May designed home rebuilt & remodeled by architect Jack Schutt
Three HVAC systems, two hot water systems, dual glazed windows, new insulation, and new wiring including cable, sound & cat-5. Isolated bedroom with bath, three car garage, great kitchen and peaceful grounds

$679,500, 4BD, 3.5BA, 2,600 Sqft in a 17,000+ Sqft (0.5+ Acre) lot
ImageImage
ImageImage
http://fresnomodern.com/homedetails/tab ... fault.aspx

Miguel

Flashback

Postby Miguel » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:06 pm

****BACK ON THE MARKET****

Just want to bring back to the listings the fantastic 1956 Russel Leavenworth home. Amazingly, this home hasn't sold yet. This one is a true jewel, virtually all original and unspoiled!

$399,000, 3 BD, 1.75 BA, 2,058 Sqft

ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by Miguel on Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member

1956 Russel Leavenworth home

Postby Josquin » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:34 am

The Leavenworth house is really beautiful. Miquel, can you speculate on why it hasn't sold?

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:30 am

It is great, isn't it, Josquin? I love it, and would love to see it bought by a person that can appreciate its integrity.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure why. As far as I know there's nothing wrong with the house (I heard that from realtors). I guess must be in part because of a mix of factors:

- It's near Fresno State University, but in a neighborhood that is not as nice as the NW. So, I assume that people that typically buy these type of homes in the NW area are not as tempted to buy it. To me, there's nothing wrong with the neighborhood, it is an established area very similar to that where my house is.

- It is not a home for the typical person in that all the wall are covered in hardwood panelling, that for the "conventional home" crowd is a big no-no.

- It doesn't have a pool in the back... that for folks in Fresno, it's always a decision breaker when buying a house.
Last edited by Miguel on Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josquin

Leavenworth house

Postby Josquin » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:20 pm

Thank you, Miguel. About seven years ago, I used to spend quite a bit of time in Fresno. I had the chance to get to know some of the neighborhoods, including the area around CSUF. I was wondering if anything had changed. Frankly, I wouldn’t mind living around CSUF given the chance. There are so many beautiful houses in Fresno and relatively affordable considering CA. And I don’t need a pool. Alas, I will probably never move from LA.

Miguel

Not really MCM, but modern nonetheless

Postby Miguel » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:54 pm

Figured I should list this fantastic space even knowing it is not in a MCM building. Michael Weil performed a great renovation on this 1980 downtown Fresno condo. The loft-like space feels spacious and has plenty of light, as well as great architectural details (love the hospital curtains in the shower). This condo includes attached parking and a community pool.

$424,900, 2 BD, 2 BA, 1,611 Sqft
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
http://www.londonproperties.com/cms/lon ... tail/27249

Miguel

Now reduced to ~$1MM

Postby Miguel » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:57 pm

Substantial reduction on this nice 1957 Old Fig Garden property.
Unique metal roof, metal kitchen and utility cabinetry, etc.
I was told that the MCM furniture collection is being sold with the house (Eames Lounger, Nelson lamps, sofas, bench, etc):

$1,093,000 (was $1,590,000), 3 BD, 2 BA, 3,066 Sqft in a 57,500 Sqft (> 1.3 acres) lot w/ Olympic-size pool.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
http://www.londonproperties.com/cms/lon ... ail/128669

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:18 pm

1962 Cliff May (confirmed by the original owner) built by Taylor-Wheeler

Reduced to $549,000, 3BD, 3BA, 2,824 Sqft in a 1/2 acre lot.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
http://www.fresnomodern.com/homedetails ... fault.aspx
Last edited by Miguel on Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:02 pm

***THIS HOME IS NOT LISTED ANYMORE***

1961 Mid-century modern home located in NW Fresno, being sold by the original owners; I suspect it is a Vern Sorensen built home but have to see up close to confirm.
Has many original details intact, such as the kitchen cabinetry and appliances:

$295,000, 3 BD, 3 BA, 2,000 Sqft in a 11,250 Sqft lot
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
http://www.londonproperties.com/search/detail/132511
Last edited by Miguel on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:57 am

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:27 pm

***THIS HOME IS NOT LISTED ANYMORE***

Yup, Dan.
The first picture is the facade of the house listed.
The second picture is of the backyard as taken from the back of the house (the house picture in the background is the neighbors).
Last edited by Miguel on Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miguel

Can't get these prices anywhere else in CA!

Postby Miguel » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:56 am

1961 MCM just south of Shaw Avenue in an area with some cool modern homes. Needs some work, but it has great bones, original windows, etc.

$285,000, 3 BD, 2 BA, 1,560 Sqft in a 9,020 Sqft lot with in-ground pool.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
http://www.londonproperties.com/cms/lon ... ail/103099

Miguel

Investment opportunity

Postby Miguel » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:12 am

This beautiful 1961 apt complex is a good candidate for condo-conversion.
It's a multi-unit (6-plex) in a great location. Just off Van Ness south of Old Fig Garden.
Spacious two story units (~1,400 sq ft/each). The complex has a central courtyard with swimming pool, and covered carport parking.

$875,000, 8,400 Total Sqft (~1,400 Sqft/unit) in a 14,400 Sqft lot.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
http://www.londonproperties.com/cms/lon ... ail/132106

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:42 pm

Leavenworth home back on the market, because the buyer backed out suddendly. His loss, because the house passed inspection with flying colors.

I saw it inside recently, and the place is truly a gem; whomever buys this place is truly a lucky duck!!!
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... 5037#55037

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:15 pm

Really cool 1959 pool MCM located in a quiet cul-de-sac in a very desirable area of Fresno (many custom MCMs in the area).

$350,000; 4 BD, 3 BA, 2,002 Sqft in a 14,916 Sqft lot with pool:
ImageImage
ImageImage
http://fresnomodern.com/homedetails/tab ... fault.aspx

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:23 pm

nice pics, miguel

Miguel

Fenn house back in the market.... BUTCHERED!

Postby Miguel » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:32 am

I'm so sad :( ... the Fenn house, designed in 1956 by William Beckett (see Modernism Rediscovered), is back on the market. For those that have been following this thread, you probably remember this property, one of the best MCMs in Fresno.

It isn't a terrible butchering job, but the owners removed one of the most unique signatures of the home - the suspended fireplace - and replaced it with some crappy conversation forum-type of area. The kitchen was an immaculate, gorgeous and intact time-capsule of the era... seems like some of the original stainless appliances have survived, though...

"If contemporary is your style, you are going to love this fabulous remodeled Van Ness Extension property. This home & property has been transformed into a show place w/complete privacy and endless room to entertain."... clueless....

ARGGGGHHHHHH!!!! I hate flippers!!!!

I'm including the pictures below to illustrate the home, but will not link to the listing... these folks don't deserve any help in selling this house:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

The way the fireplace area used to look like:
Last edited by Miguel on Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josquin

Fenn House

Postby Josquin » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:04 am

What were they thinking when they removed the fireplace? A sculptural fireplace like that probably defined the room. The decorator probably told them to lose it to make way for all that "signature" interior decorating.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:11 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

and sadly

Postby modfan » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:41 am

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:05 am

Josquin: Who the heck knows what these people have in their head... the fireplace was great, but at the time of the picture shown (previous owners), it had already been painted over, but recoverable nonetheless. I believe the original finish was copper.

modfan: you're absolutely right... a new fireplace, or even a remake of the original will have to be gas-burning, according to the air-pollution curbing regulations. I don't think these folks are professional flippers, just people that think they know what these homes are supposed to look like. The gates they installed are all art-deco and very inappropriate to this style of home. Another crime was that they removed all the old fig trees that used to be in the front yard (after all, the Fig Garden Extension gets it's name from the fig groves that used to be there). At least the new 4-car garage is not too hard on the eyes:

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:08 pm

1957 Shed roof home in the beautiful NW area of Fresno (Bullard High School)

$460,000; 3 BD, 2 BA, 1,704 Sqft in a 13,983 Lot (0.321 acres) with in-ground pool:

ImageImage
http://www.londonproperties.com/search/ ... 1000088514

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”