MCM cities?

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

boriskrunch
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

MCM cities?

Postby boriskrunch » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:58 pm

Hello. I want to first say how wonderful I think this message board is. Thank you to whoever deserves the thanks for this site.

In what NON California cities are there an abnormally high amount of MCM? I've heard Houston and Tucson?

My wife and I are leaving our beloved San Francisco because we cannot afford to own a house out here and we want to relocate somewhere that has MCM neighborhoods. Can anyone help? No California cities please...we're ready to move on. Thanks so much.

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ch » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:41 am

I'll jump in.

In a visit to Madison, WI I was blown away at the number of beautiful modern homes. Must be the influence of the Nordic sensibility. And yes, I know it can get quite cold there but it really is a lovely, progressive city.

I lived in Albuquerque, NM and as a town that had a huge boom in the post war years I can say there are many great midcentury modern homes there. Since most locals want adobe style they are not really the homes of choice.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:55 am

Portland and Seattle have tons.

www.portlandmodern.com
www.seattlemodern.com

looking for a smaller city (under 400,000 people), eugene
www.oregonmodern.com

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

do a search on here

Postby modfan » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:23 am

and I also think you'll find kcmodern.com (Kansas City) Drummond Homes in particular. And Nashville Modern as well.
I also think Oklahoma City, Denver. and Phoenix are also represented.
Enjoy your search.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:45 am

Somebody at the New York Times was writing an article about people bailing from California and settling in the Midwest and Great Plains.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

MCMAdmirer
Modern Socialite

Postby MCMAdmirer » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:05 pm

I'm too curious to know about where are the other concentrations of MCM homes outside of California.

However, I'm curious to know where in Canada where there are MCM homes!

I've not been having luck researching on the net to see where such concentrations of MCM homes are.

P.S. This is my first post here on this board!

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:07 pm

"Better Living Through Modernism"

MCMAdmirer
Modern Socialite

Postby MCMAdmirer » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:15 pm

Yes, you're right moderns-r-us. There was an article about a Canadian MCM home in a recent Atomic Ranch magazine.

It's located in the Don Mills area of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

The whole area is "recognized as the first planned and fully integrated post-war community developed by private enterprise in North America. It is credited with being the blueprint for post-war suburban development in Toronto and contemporary residential neighbourhoods. Its design was influenced by Ebenezer Howard's Garden City, and by the principles of two American town planners, Clarence Stein and Henry Wright, who developed the garden city community of Radburn, New Jersey." ()

There got to be more than one MCM area in Toronto, let alone in Canada.

Sorry, boriskrunch, I'm not trying to steal your thunder. Maybe you're interested in moving to Canada, eh?

Niche [Find Yours]
Modern Groupie

Postby Niche [Find Yours] » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:53 am

Architectural Realtors speacializing in Mid Century Modern homes in Arizona

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:40 am

Um, Chicago.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:40 am

How about places with DOCOMOMO chapters?
http://www.docomomo-us.org/chapters

I know you said no California #-o
but, of course, Los Angeles is the Moden capital of the free world!

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:40 pm

http://www.houstonmod.org Check the real estate listings section or for specific MCM Houston neighborhoods....

http://www.memorialbendarchitecture.com

http://www.glenbrookvalley.com

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:42 am

spyellow
Modern Fan

Postby spyellow » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:49 am

doctore
Modern Socialite

Postby doctore » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:51 pm

Having lived in Racine, Milwaukee and Chicago for all of my 34 years, (and currently living in a 1953 tri-level) I would have to say the midwest is loaded with mid-century moderns mostly inspired by FLW and his contemporaries. I will say these houses here are in abundance and very much under-appreciated.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:19 pm

Come and visit LAS VEGAS babay!!!

Although you hear horror stories about all the commercial landmarks that are dust. The residential market is Smokin'

There are still affordable Modern homes in nice locations AND you're not too far from old pals in California.
http://www.lottaliving.com/markminelli/

eekahil
Modern Fan

Milwaukee (and area), WI

Postby eekahil » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:26 am

When I moved here I had no idea how architecturally diverse this area is.

There are many FLW , disciples and colleagues of.

Also John Randall MacDonald.

Another surprise was the rather good supply of 50's ranches that are original/2nd owner.

The Glendale, Fox Pint, River Hills and Bayside 'burbs have a boatload of houses that the older owners are selling. I see more and more of "us"
moving into these areas

The toughest thing for me when I was house hunting was tring to explain to the agents what I wanted.

Most of them would get "Brady Bunch house" into their fool heads :roll:
or that fake-reto Elvis/Marilyn/Sody-fountain look. #-o

One of my favourite experiences was being taken through a house that was wallpapered from stem-to-stern in toile de jouy. Seriously - even the stairs. :eek:

Then we hit the kitchen - realtor jumped to reassure us that the (original orange) formica would all be ripped out and replaced. |:(
We hollered No! That's the only thing worth keeping!

I kinda wound up with "an original owner's home that has been well-maintained but not updated" as my realtor-friendly description.
Learning curve.

ps: at Holiday time I counted 5 aluminium trees -most of 'em meant to be ironic/icon :mr green:

'eek

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:58 am

Florida comes to mind. Atomic Ranch did recent feature on MCM homes in Orlando, Winter Park, etc.

Dee Goodrich
Modern Fan

Storrs, CT--Home of UConn

Postby Dee Goodrich » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:02 pm

We don't qualify as a "city", but numerous progressive University of Connecticut faculty built wonderful MCMs with a New England sensibility. We moved into ours--built in 1956--and we love it. :)
Dee

64Cat
Modern Socialite

MCM in the Twin Cities

Postby 64Cat » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:42 pm

Here's a link to some houses I have taken pictures of here in the Twin Cities. In Golden Valley (where i live) there's a good number of mcm and ramblers. There are quite a lot of house here and I will be adding more.

Karl

Enjoy.
http://homepage.mac.com/kmadcharo/PhotoAlbum5.html

mj
Modern Groupie

Sarasota, FL

Postby mj » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:39 pm

I'm here in Sarasota, the home, of course, of the Sarasota School of Architecture. But if you're moving because of a money thing, then it may not be the place. And developers will knock down any of these buildings if they get half a chance.

ch

Postby ch » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:09 am

agentginger
Modern Groupie

Postby agentginger » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:32 pm

5280mod
Modern Socialite

Denver's Got Mod!

Postby 5280mod » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:59 pm

In fact, we have the first post-World War II residential subdivision listed as a historic district in the National Register of Historic Places.

Arapahoe Acres. Check it out here:

Be sure to click on "To see photos of some of the homes, click HERE"
Shannon Stanbro
720.279.4884 Cell
877.713.1110 Toll Free
www.5280mod.com

jimheffner
Modern Groupie

Tucson, AZ Mid-Century Real Estate

Postby jimheffner » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:21 pm

Hello,

Tucson, AZ is a great place for affordable mid-century modern housing. Those were boom years for Tucson. We've got everything here. Great year round climate. So much to do and enjoy. Beautiful mountain scenery all around the valley. Convenience to many other great "fun-to-visit" places. I've lived in the Bay Area (CA), Seattle, WA area, and the east and west coasts of Florida, and Tucson now. Tucson stacks up nicely to many places. If ever I can assist in providing Tucson real estate information to you, please don't hesitate to contact me - 520-204-6358.
Jim Heffner
REALTOR
Beautiful Desert Southwest
Tucson, Arizona

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:16 pm

hoodlam
Modern Master

Postby hoodlam » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:52 pm

lots of MCM in Tulsa, maybe even more than OKC

BBTV
Modern Fan

Freeport, IL

Postby BBTV » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:29 pm

Ha! I am selling my MCM house in Freeport, IL, so if the midwest is a candidate for you, check it out:

[url]http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10033&highlight=freeport

[/url]

Freeport is 2 hours west of Chicago and 1 hour south of Madison, WI .

As others in the forum I agree that the midwest (Chicago, some old suburbs, Milwaukee, Cedarville, Freeport) is a good place to find MCM houses.

This sounds terrible, but I miss my house more than anything in Freeport!
and now I am in the very place you're running away from, unable to buy a hut!

Good luck!

Happy new year to all!

dilettante
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Durham, North Carolina

Postby dilettante » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:08 am

While visiting relatives over Christmas, I spotted more than two dozen terrific MCM homes in the Duke Forest subdivision of Durham. Here's one:

This subdivision was built out in the 1950s and 60s, and came about when Duke subdivided a tiny part of its vast landholdings, providing lots for Professors who wanted to build homes. Perhaps a third of the houses in this subdivision are MCM.

I've observed that many college towns have a significant proportion of architect-designed, custom-built, MCM homes. So, even though Durham wouldn't qualify as a town with tons of MCM homes, there are certainly many fine examples in the area around Duke. It may be worthwhile for you to check the college areas in any city to which you're thinking of moving.

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:06 pm

That last one has a bit of a Usonian feel to it (though with that front door it probably isn't). I'll have to look around up there the next time I'm in town.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”