Beaverton, OR - New Fixer Rummer On-Sale

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

PortlandModern
Modern Socialite

Postby PortlandModern » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:14 pm

PortlandModern
Modern Socialite

Oink?

Postby PortlandModern » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:25 pm

jlsv
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Buying A Rummer

Postby jlsv » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:49 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:10 pm

Last edited by Joe on Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: needs some work

Postby Joe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:22 pm

PortlandModern
Modern Socialite

Re: Buying A Rummer

Postby PortlandModern » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:45 am

modern mama
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

ruffled realtor feathers

Postby modern mama » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:13 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: ruffled realtor feathers

Postby Joe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:46 pm

Dirt Diva
Modern Socialite

Postby Dirt Diva » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:49 pm

You go Joe! I think we are all a bit "naive" when we buy our first house. The first house I bought was an Eichler that was a "fixer", but not priced as such. We waited for them to come down in price or another to come on the market. Neither happened, and I wanted that house, fixer or not, so I paid the price. I had all these grand plans not really knowing any better because the inspector said this and that, so I fixed what I could afford and waited on what I felt was more "cosmetic" (floors, paint, etc), which turned out to be a blessing because you learn more about what the house really needs versus what you "think" and were told it needs and do not make rash decisions that you will later regret. MCM houses are special in their "needs", and you just can't go to home depot and replace the floors with laminate or whatever the current trend is. I had close to the same list of repairs also; roof, floors, driveway and decking, A/C & heater, etc. But like Joe said, 40+ year old houses, MCM or tract will need the same things. So good luck, you will find the Rummer that is right for you! :cheers:
Lost as always, but if you find me you'll win a prize!

Bumblebee
Modern Groupie

Postby Bumblebee » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:47 am

We were bidders on that Rummer too. We offered "over the asking" then when it came up again, we faded on it. Yes, it needed an new deck and roof, and all that shag had to go, but without an inspection, it seemed in pretty good shape for its age. We were buying to relocate, not to flip.

One of the killers for us was the neighboring house- a big grey box (probaby built on the grave of an old rummer) that loomed over the West side of the house and cast a shadow over the whole place. All the the rooms down the side had a commanding view of gray siding which, no matter what you did to this little atchitactural oasis, would still be there.

Similarly we passed on that other Rummer, beautifully done up, but was a stone's throw from the 217 over the wall, and in a neighborhood that wasn't exactly uplifting.

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:59 am

Very interesting Topic that I thought I would chime in on.

When we bought our 53 Cliff May, My wife and I already knew what we were getting ourselves into. We spent the previous 4 years going to open houses and talking with owners and realtors about the pros and cons of this home. We did a lot of research going in and basically already understood what needed to be done before even seeing the house we bought. We saw many different Mays in very different states of repair /Restore and still no matter how much money the previous owner put into the house there were still many things to improve on/ fix (And we saw some very well done remodels). We bought our house after educating ourselves in What this home was all about, after thee initial walk-through with our Realtor , we knew about 75% of the items that would come up in during the inspection and we had a general idea of what it would truly cost to fix.

Our inspector also pulled the 10K Heater repair thing with us as well, among a new roof as he said the T&G roof was not good for these homes!!

I guess it all comes down to educating yourself in the type of home you truly want. 40 - 50 year old homes have problems but if you know this upfront and have done the homework then you should be fine. Not everyone can handle living in this type of home or better yet even uderstand it (I like to look of some of my McMansion friends when they see my house for the first time, most of the time the comment is "Unusual" or "this is different")

PaulKaplan
Modern Master

Postby PaulKaplan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:49 pm

If you're having a tough time finding your dream Rumner, please don't rule out a fabulous Palmer and Krisel Alexander! Its a buyer's market here in Palm Springs with many great homes to choose from. My partner and I have done a number of renovations. Thus, as agents, we can guide our clients through the inspection process and help them determine up front how much of a "fixer" a property is....we speak from years of experience living in renovated homes.

Please visit www.Midcenturyproperties.com or email us for more info. Best of luck with your search.

Paul
Last edited by PaulKaplan on Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Paul Kaplan Group, Inc
Architectural Real Estate
1701 N Palm Canyon Dr. #5
Palm Springs, CA 92262
www.MidCenturyModernPS.com
760-459-1396
DRE 01325586

pdxrox1
Modern Fan

Not sure if you read what this post is about

Postby pdxrox1 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:30 pm

I'm not sure you read what this post is about... it was about a Rumer here in Portland, not an Eichler... Rummers are the closest thing to Eichlers here in Portland, so trying to sell someone a Palmer and Krisel Alexander seems somewhat non sequitur.

Bumblebee
Modern Groupie

Postby Bumblebee » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:25 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:08 pm

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:11 pm

You are born modern, you do not become so.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:41 pm

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:04 pm

Thanks, Joe. That's very good information and should be enough to get me started if I decide to go this direction with my countertops.
You are born modern, you do not become so.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”