Silver Lake, CA 1930s gas station for sale

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Silver Lake, CA 1930s gas station for sale

Postby nichols » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:50 pm

Corner of Rowena and Glendale. This looks like maybe a Richfield station. It's twin in Glendale is being rehabbed into a park. I've seen some reused as coffee drive-thrus. Wouldn't this be a neat restoration project? I think it comes with the '50s modern building next door that's now an acupuncture office. Here's hoping some creative person saves this.

jeffgent
Modern Socialite

Postby jeffgent » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:40 pm

I love that gas station, I pass by it everyday. I would be a great location for a cafe! Nice trendy area. I hope that the right person buys it so it won't be destroyed.

Galaxy Girl
Modern Groupie

1930's gas station-Silverlake...BEING TORN DOWN

Postby Galaxy Girl » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:38 pm

Yeah, this place is pretty amazing. My friend and I were looking at it recently wishing it was available for us to lease as our Biodiesel Fueling Station. I called the old number for the leasing agent on the sign in your picture and he said that they sold the property to a developer that is TEARING IT DOWN!! When I told him how upset I was that it was being torn down he said "It's just an old piece of junk!". Then quickly he proceeded to ask me what type of property we were looking for and if he could be MY leasing agent. I DON'T think so. Not with that response!
Lisa G.
Galaxy Girl

Galaxybiofuel.com
"Dinosaurs are a thing of the past...Galaxy is the future!"

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:27 pm

if ever there was a perfect location for your biodiesel station - that would be it. not just physical location of mid-city, but the act of recycling the bldg. for recycled fuel!!! wow - what a winning idea.

keep trying!!!

jeffgent
Modern Socialite

Postby jeffgent » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:39 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:53 am

This gas station, at 853-859 N. Highland Ave. in Hollywood is City of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #508.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:23 pm

The cantilevered canopy with its overhead beams has echoes for me; I'll see if I can find the prototype. . .

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:15 pm

From Elizabeth Bougart-Sharkov of the Silver Lake Neighborhood Council:

Since the property was put on the Market it's been on our radar. So far no one has contacted us with any proposal which may trigger discretionary action... If we notice any activity over there we will an attempt to contact the owner immediately.

Meanwhile, I'll appreciate any info with regards to the site and the architect of the original building.

--
Elizabeth Bougart-Sharkov, Assoc. AIA
SLNC Governing Board Member,
Chair Urban Design & Preservation
Advisor y Committee
323-662-4741
sharkov @ silverlakenc.org
www.silverlakenc.org

Galaxy Girl
Modern Groupie

Postby Galaxy Girl » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:52 pm

Lisa G.

Galaxy Girl

Galaxybiofuel.com

"Dinosaurs are a thing of the past...Galaxy is the future!"

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:07 am

The Silver Lake station is up for monument status on Thursday. Here's the public hearing info.

PROJECT: Historic-Cultural Monument Application for the
RICHFIELD SERVICE STATION

REQUEST: Declare the property a Historic-Cultural Monument

CULTURAL HERITAGE COMMISSION

HEARING DATE: September 4, 2008
TIME: 10:00 AM
PLACE: City Hall, Room 1010
200 N. Spring Street
Los Angeles, CA
CASE NO.: CHC-2008-2317-HCM

Council District: 4
Community Plan Area: Silver Lake-Echo Park-
Elysian Valley
Area Planning Commission: East Los Angeles
Neighborhood Council: Silver Lake
Legal Description: Lot 13 of TR 5552

http://cityplanning.lacity.org/StaffRpt ... 8-2317.pdf

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Postby babyblue65bird » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:10 pm

I drove by this gas station on Rowen at 11 am this morning, as it was being demolished by a bulldozer.
Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:17 pm

savannah modern
Modern Groupie

So what did end up being built there?

Postby savannah modern » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:22 pm

How did it lose the hearing?? What a great little spot.

So what did end up being built there?
Last edited by savannah modern on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I pass by there

Postby modfan » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:35 am

frequently

With the real estate bust and all that that goes with it, it's now a vacant lot.

savannah modern
Modern Groupie

Postby savannah modern » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:30 pm

well we all know a vacant lot is better than an awesome Modern Service Station....99% of developers are jerks.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”