Raphael Soriano's Gogol house for sale

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mies
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mies » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:39 pm

Soriano's 1940 Gogol house in Los Feliz is for sale for $824,995. The house is very nice and in good shape with a terriffic view. It's repped by DBL Realtors.

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby JAB » Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:19 pm

kathy1
Modern Groupie

Postby kathy1 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:10 am

I have to disagree with the condition of the house. It's been altered extensively. Also water damage. The kitchen and bathrooms have been renovated over the years and are not in keeping with the original design. Granite counters, marble bathroom and an added on room and bath? And the price is ridiculous - why pay an inflated price because the sellers put in granite countertops that don't go with the style of the house?

MikeHatfield
Modern Fan

Postby MikeHatfield » Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:22 am

touche

FranklinHills
Modern Socialite

Postby FranklinHills » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:20 am

Assuming the house is not a "fixer," regardless of the architecture, that price does not appear to be "inflated" for the area. I confess I haven't seen it. We live very close (a few blocks) and homes of that size are routinely selling in the high 7s, low 8s and one recently went for 920,000.

kathy1
Modern Groupie

Postby kathy1 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:05 pm

Are those sales prices you are quoting or list prices? I've noticed neighbors usually get excited about list prices but don't usually check to see if that is what the house actually sold for.

It's not a fixer, it's just had significant alterations not in keeping with it's original design.

The house next door to it (which is more of a fixer but much larger) has been off and on the market for quite a few months at $749,000 and hasn't sold yet. Granted, it's not as architecturally significant but I think most buyers aren't looking for the kind of houses the people on this message board appreciate so I wonder why it hasn't sold if the market is so "hot."

Mies
Modern Socialite

Postby Mies » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:46 pm

kathy1:

I did not say the house was in perfect condition, just good condition. Yes the kitchen/bathroom updates have been done without respect to the original architecture and design, but those updates are mostly surfaces/materials and are therefore fixable.

I didn't notice any water damage other than to the built-in cabinets in the master bath which appear to be original. Assuming they are original, it would not be out of the ordinary for the wood to be somewhat water damaged after 60+ years of steam/water use in the bathroom.

I am not sure how the addition of a bedroom and bathroom adds to the house not being in good shape.

I did not comment on the asking price in my original post, but I'm sure if this house was in "perfect" shape all around the price would be considerably more than the current asking price. Any way you slice it, this is an architectural house with a fine pedigree that needs some work to bring back to its original splendor.

kathy1
Modern Groupie

Postby kathy1 » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:36 am

Mies,

Sorry - I didn't mean any offense! I am just a frustrated buyer, with very good credit and a significant cash down payment, in a sellers market. I have been looking for quite a long time and have looked at a lot of crap. I have had one home fall out of escrow when the inspector discovered serious foundation problems which I couldn't afford to fix nor was the seller willing to credit the work (I found out later the seller and his agent buried the information and the buyer who did buy it was unaware of the problem - I had a structural engineer look at it - they had a noncertified "engineer" pronounce it okay - he said it was okay because he took pictures of it!) My indecision in buying stems from:

I believe the market is now going through a correction but of course, I cannot predict when or how much or whether some neighborhoods will feel it more than others. It's correcting at the higher prices ranges in certain neighborhoods but not others. The lower price range is still a sellers market in most areas.

When I looked at the Gogol house, I needed to factor in how much it would cost to bring it back to it's original design at least to a point I could live with. Since I can't do much myself, I know these costs will be higher.

I will probably not be in the house more than 5 years. So, I need to make sure I don't lose money if I have to sell it in a buyers market. I've noticed architectural homes are sometimes difficult to sell. I've noticed the Neutra house on El Contento has been for sale for quite some time and has already had one price reduction. Comparing median sales prices in 1990 to 1995 can be a sobering experience and I don't want to be caught in that trap.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”