Hollywood Hills/Studio City, CA - Buff, Straub, & Hensma

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
gwdiener
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hollywood Hills/Studio City, CA - Buff, Straub, & Hensma

Postby gwdiener » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:11 pm

Halverson #1 (3584 Multiview Drive) is back on the market for 1.44 million. It was designed by Buff, Straub, & Hensman, built in 1959 and located next door to Schindler's Kallis House. I didn't see it last year when it was on the market but someone at the open house said it was then in nearly original condition. All built in furniture still there, just needed a careful restoration.

The buyer last May paid 1.295 million. In my humble opinion, he is an idiot [pardon my language] flipper. As far as I can tell, he didn't do anything to improve the house. In fact, I can't see a single project that he actually FINISHED on the house. Every room has been torn apart but not a single room completed.

Of course, that isn't stopping him from asking 150k more than he paid. :roll:

And then there is the broker who was sitting the open house.

He tried to tell us that CSH#21 was a Buff, Straub, & Hensman and to make the point that 1.44m for this house was a good value because CSH#21 sold at auction for so much over the minimum bid. He looked at me blank faced when I told him CSH#21 was a Pierre Koenig. He'd obviously never heard of Koenig. Probably never heard of Buff, Straub, & Hensman until he got this listing.

And the very worst is the broker was also sitting an open house for a 4.7millon dollar mcmansion across the street. Halverson#1 has a large enough lot that if the price was right, it would come down to be replaced by another monstrosity.

http://guests.themls.com/profile_page.cfm?mls=07-157983

Mid-Century Gent
Modern Socialite

LOVE Multiview Dr.

Postby Mid-Century Gent » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:53 am

Gwdiener,
Thanks for the post. This is one of my favorite streets on the valley side of the hill. If my memory serves me right, there was another Buff, Straub, & Hensman on Multiview purchased by a flipper (featured on Million Dollar Listings TV show), then listed a year later for $1m over the selling price. It was on the MLS for a very long time, not sure of the final selling price.

jeffgent
Modern Socialite

Postby jeffgent » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:07 pm

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:32 pm

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:48 am

Halverson #1 is open again today. Still at 1.44m. Still in need of much love. :cry:

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:52 pm

Came across this listed as open again this weekend. It has been open several times lately but the listing has been updated (or I just hadn't noticed the change) to indicate they are looking for a quick sale before it goes into foreclosure. But the price is only reduced to 1,299,000.

:(

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:54 pm

PS. No one is buying the McMansion across the street either. :roll:

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:29 am

I happened to noticed Halverson#1 listed as an open house this weekend so we went to check it out.

It is amazing now. When I last saw it, a flipper had damaged the interior beyond recognition before giving up (and running out of money). Interior walls were removed, bathrooms were odd shaped/locations, balconies may have been enclosed..It was hard to see what had been there originally and what had been remuddled.

The people who bought it relaid out the rooms and while they may not have been able to recreate as built originally, they did a very nice job of saving the house from a wrecking ball (very possible since the house across from it is a new McMansion built around 05-06 and sold for over 4 million dollars). Some of the finishes and fixtures are more "architectural" than "midcentury" but overall it works. They did some "green" work like recycled denim insulation, dual pane green tinted glass, recycled glass terrazzo and reclaimed wood cabinets. The quality of the workmanship throughout the house is first class.

The broker was much more architecturally savvy than the one selling it last year. This guy knew all the other architectural homes along Multiview and the correct architects for each. He said he enjoys having people who recognize what the house is come through even if they aren't buyers.

Here's the website for the house -

http://www.3584multiview.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”