Desert Hot Springs, CA - Lautner Motel

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:17 pm

PaulKaplan
Modern Master

Postby PaulKaplan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:16 am

Did this get worked out? The sellers of William Cody's Del Marcos hotel are considering selling 16 ownership shares. Was curious how had to set up this hotel to break it up into individual ownership. Thanks for your info!
Paul
The Paul Kaplan Group, Inc
Architectural Real Estate
1701 N Palm Canyon Dr. #5
Palm Springs, CA 92262
www.MidCenturyModernPS.com
760-459-1396
DRE 01325586

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi Paul,

Can’t say that I’m too optimistic of that working out. If we couldn’t get four people, or four couples, to do the Lautner Motel, I don’t see how you could find 16 people.

I seem to remember, although this goes back a few years, that Kent – the previous owner of the Del Marcos – had conversations with the City of Palm Springs about turning the hotel into condo’s. I think he found that there was a problem in that non-kitchen rooms could not be turned into condo’s. Since there’s no room to add more kitchens you’d have to combine contiguous units. This, naturally, would reduce the number of units.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

jonu
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Location: Franklin Hills (Los Feliz), LA CA and Palm Springs CA
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby jonu » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:30 am

I saw on the MLS that there is a pending sale.
True?

-Jon

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:56 pm

The Lautner Motel has been in escrow for some time now. Not sure if it will close. One difficulty is in comparables. It looks like in Desert Hot Springs that only one triplex has sold in the last 6 months. So that's about the only thing they can compare it too. And, of course, it's no comparison.

Tony
Tony Merchell

www.glassandsteel.com

AdamB
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby AdamB » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:16 am

I wondered the same thing and when speaking to the mortgage broker I'd been working with he laid out a best case scenario of being able to finance $200,000 or so. Above that was going to require a lot of details related to the actual motel business.

I sure hope for the best for whoever is buying it.

august
Modern Groupie

what a sham

Postby august » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:42 pm

AdamB
Modern Socialite

Postby AdamB » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:16 pm

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:00 am

Meanwhile the place isn't getting any better. After staying at the motel a few times in the past, it seemed a bit forlorn when I saw it last month. The desert has been hard on the exterior wood. It looks like the many coats of paint are all that is holding it together - in desperate need of replacement. At least the concrete work has held up great. Steve did a great job but much remains to be done.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:57 pm

Finally! The Lautner Motel closed escrow on Friday, April 25th.

Tony
Tony Merchell

www.glassandsteel.com

AdamB
Modern Socialite

Postby AdamB » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:31 am

ch

Postby ch » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:42 am

And do the new owners intend to continue to operate it as a hotel?

ch

New Owners

Postby ch » Thu May 01, 2008 11:57 am

Here are the new owners:

"Final price for the property was $425,000 plus closing costs."

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Thu May 01, 2008 5:11 pm

I met the new owners last weekend at the Motel. They have wisely decided to do what others here have suggested to new owners of houses in the past - live with it for a while before doing things. Sounds like they want to fix it up and, of course, build a pool next door. Keeping it as their weekend pad and perhaps, in the future, as a vacation rental.

After over a year on the market, finally a positive result.

Tony
Tony Merchell

www.glassandsteel.com

Thoroughly Modern Michael
Modern Fan

Postby Thoroughly Modern Michael » Wed May 07, 2008 8:55 pm

Whew! Whatever its difficulties, the buyers got an amazing work of architecture at an amazing price. The vacation rental option would be a big plus, as I know of many people who relished spending time there.

ch

Postby ch » Thu May 08, 2008 3:21 am

Tony,

If you see the owners again you might want to suggest that they post here in order to collect some email addresses of those who would want to know if the place becomes rentable. Even if they don't want to launch a full-scale motel they still might be interested in a little extra cash from those who already know about the place and would like to stay on occasion.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu May 08, 2008 11:38 am

You could add me to the list of potential renters!
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri May 09, 2008 10:22 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:37 am

JOHN LAUTNER FOUNDATION

Motel’s new owners look forward

Tracy Beckmann, interior designer, is realizing a dream from years ago, when she first saw the Sheats-Goldstein residence in Los Angeles. She promised herself at that time that she would one day own a Lautner building. And now she does. After a lengthy escrow she finally took possession of the Desert Hot Springs Motel, previously owned by Steve Lowe, who died unexpectedly in 2007...

http://www.johnlautner.org/wp/?p=133

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:02 pm

ch

Postby ch » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:56 am

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:52 pm

The Lautner motel is apparently getting some new neighbors

"Pre-selling Jennifer Siegal's Desert Hot Springs Development, adjacent to 1947 John Lautner hotel. These three bedroom courtyard homes are being sold by Robert Parker call 760-272-0299 or "

Jennifer Siegal is the principal at OMD, a Venice, CA prefab company
scowsa

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:37 am

Jennifer Siegal's book

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:50 pm

Pas A. Dena
Modern Groupie

Postby Pas A. Dena » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:54 am

AdamB
Modern Socialite

Postby AdamB » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:52 pm

If I remember correctly the lot to the immediate left of the motel was included in the sales price and the next three lots over had been sold to Ms. Siegel with the intention of her building some prefabs there.

With the bloom coming off the housing market's rose I bet that area of Desert Hot Springs is suffering even more from lack of qualified buyers and there are plenty of lots in that area for sale.

ch

Postby ch » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:44 pm

I stopped by the motel over the Palm Springs Modernism weekend and was lucky enough to run into Ryan, one of the new owners. He graciously allowed me to look around. I am happy to report that he and partner Tracy are hard at work on the place. Ryan seems very passionate about the place as well as a "hands-on" kind of guy (he was busy ripping out some rotten roofing material when I interupted him). Looks like the bathrooms and kitchens (not original) are out and ready for replacement. He also plans on stripping the now painted interior woodwork and FINALLY replacing the desert-eaten exterior wood.

They have a website in anticipation for the 2010 re-opening. Sign up here for updates:

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”