Case Study House #21 (Pierre Koenig)

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

gwdiener
Modern Master

Case Study House #21 (Pierre Koenig)

Postby gwdiener » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:01 pm

CSH#21 is listed in the LA Times real estate section today for 2.5m.

The website is listed as architectural-estates.com and CSH#21 comes up as the home page image but isn't in the "featured properties" (you have to register on the site to see the list :roll: )

The same ad & website is listing Lautner's Schwimmer House as available for lease at $40,000/month.

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:04 pm

PS. Here is the virtual tour for Schwimmer -

grh122
Modern Master

Postby grh122 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:31 pm

Thanks, I wasn't aware about Schwimmer being up for lease. It's also on some location scouting sites.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:15 pm

Nice tour, if brief. The downslope elevation shows a curious lack of overhang of the roof; Lautner's text of the house (Escher) mentions retractable motorized awnings to enable "year-round terrace use and outdoor living on this mountainside." One wonders why he didn't just give a deeper overhang, casting better shadows on those stone cylinders. . .

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Postby scottkaycee » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:06 am

How about a career in Architecture? www.scottkirkcueto.blogspot.com

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:05 am

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:05 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:17 pm

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:54 pm

TopazGuys
Modern Fan

CSH #21

Postby TopazGuys » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:29 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I just

Postby modfan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:00 am

drove by yesterday the for sale sign in front has a sold sign on it.
It was vacant so I glanced thru the windows, it's really kinda small
shall we say 'modern bijou'.

J.Breckel
Modern Groupie

Postby J.Breckel » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:04 am

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:42 pm

Is it possible that the Wright sale was just recorded and that it is the same sale?

J.Breckel
Modern Groupie

Postby J.Breckel » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:40 pm

eride
Modern Fan

Postby eride » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:56 am

FYI -

There's a bit on this house and the guy who fixed it up in the current issue of Angeleno magazine. He, Mark Haddawy, bought it in 2001 for $1.58m fixed it up and it sold in auction just recently for $3m or so. wow! nice return.

check it out. he's a serial mid century restorer. sounds like he is doing great things with Neutra, Lautner, etc...

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:33 am

valery
Modern Socialite

Postby valery » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:17 am

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:12 pm

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:49 pm

Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

valery
Modern Socialite

Postby valery » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:43 pm

bnolan
Modern Groupie

Postby bnolan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:53 pm

I just went to check out CSH #21 this weekend. The for sale sign was lying on the ground next to the trash bins. And the house was still vacant. What an amazing (although small) house. It was so cool to see the actual house after drooling over Shulman's photos for so long.

Did it ever surface who the buyer was?

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:06 pm

I hope someone is at least looking after it. Maybe the buyer bought as an investment thinkiing she'd make a bundle by sitting on it for a year or two?

It is amazing, we saw it during the open house dates prior to the auction. 8-)

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:09 am

Hello!

I stopped by there in Nov. last year '07 and snapped a few photos...

Was vacant then too. Started a thread on it. There are a few more photos there...

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10900

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:39 am

Image Never did modern architecture look more Japanese. . .

Image All photos by Julius Shulman, of course.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:57 am

From "Case Study Houses 1945-1962" by Esther McCoy:

The site for CSH #21 is a level building pad in the hills with a sweeping view to the south. The orientation of glazed walls is north and south, with solid walls on the east and west. The basic design element of the plan is an island core of bath-patio-bath, which serves as the principal division between the living area and the two bedrooms. By disengaging the baths from the exterior walls and facing them onto a court, the curtain walls were simplified.

The house, surrounded completely by pools, introduces a new concept in making water an integral structure and landscape element. Brick terraces, spanning the pools, lead to the living areas, and the terraces add another plane and texture to the interplay between water and structure. During the hot months the water is pumped hydraulically from the pool to the roof gutter to fall through the scuppers and circulate and aerate the pool.

The house is a series of 10- by 22-foot bays 9 feet high; each frame is composed of an 8-inch I-beam, floor channel and three 4-inch wide flange columns. The frames were shop-fabricated and delivered to the site in one piece. The two exterior bays came shop-equipped with a 4-inch channel which tied into the columns at sill height. The exterior bays for house and carport were rigid rectangular units which were plumb and true. Once these were erected in the field, they served to plumb all the other exterior bays. Each of the rigid frames was erected over the foundation plates and tack welded to the footing. Another 4-inch channel strut was used to align the frames at right angles on either side of the house and carport. These channels were fitted to a stud bolt on the outside of each column, thus aligning them on 10-foot centers. The tightening of each bolt on the column footings brought the entire steel frame into plumb. When the frames were plumb and level, the connections were made permanent by welding the columns to the steel plates. The bolt heads were burned off the channel struts, and the areas were patched and ground smooth. After the slab was poured, the channels at sill height served as screens.

Into the 22-foot intervals between columns were inserted curtain walls of steel decking and sliding glass. The 18-gage decking, with corrugations 11h-inch deep every 6 inches, is one face of the exterior wall; the other is laminated gypsum board, exposed for interior walls. The panels are fastened to steel girts. Conduits, ducts, and drains were installed in the core of the sandwich. The same steel decking is used both for roofing and for the exterior face of the wall panels. The 4-inch flange columns were turned to receive the wall decking, which is welded at the top and bottom.

An advantage in the shop-fabricated frame is that it permitted sliding doors to be welded in place without a tolerance.

Koenig believes that the mono-planar wall is an ideal which will be incapable of realization as long as the archaic methods of bringing electricity and plumbing into the house remain in use. Once electricity is brought in from underground, and heavy plumbing pipes are located at the street rather than placed in the walls, one thin prefabricated wall panel will house all mechanical equipment. He is not hopeful about the prospects of such panels being designed by industry. "Industry has not learned the difference between what is beautiful in its simplicity and what is ugly although equally simple," says Koenig. Nor does he expect good results from the architect designing for industry. In his view, "The pressure is so great that the architect is a captive. He functions best as a free agent."

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:18 am

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Case Study House #21

Postby Josquin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:43 am

I'm curious if Koenig resolved the problem of the gaps between the corrugated decking used for the roof and the steel frame in the Case Study 21 house. This problem was unresolved in the Scott house of 1953; the Scotts filled the gaps with styrofoam plugs.

Here is a picture of the Styrofoam plugs between the sliding window frames and the corrugated decking in the Scott house. This is the large south facing window in the living room.

The Scott House
http://www.usc.edu/dept/architecture/sl ... 4/004.html

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:49 pm

Josquin

Ambient ventilation

Postby Josquin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:05 pm

In the Scott house all of the gaps were open to the outside. Of course, this is Southern California, so the mild climate allows for this subtle enhancement of the indoor outdoor experience. This closeness to nature must have annoyed the Scotts, so they plug the gaps.

Currently, the Scott house is a wreck, but the steel bones remain.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:08 pm

With all due respect, they seem not to be "with the program," from what can be seen. They are the original clients ? Perhaps tastes become more conservative as time passes. . .

SDR

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”