Case Study House #21 (Pierre Koenig)

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:46 am

Good point, and not often recognized. I've just been led to the essay by William Cronon in which he traces Wright's upbringing in a Unitarian family environment of particular intensity, as the source of these feelings and convictions in him. It explains for once the meaning of Nature to him as a designer: the spirit of the creator (God, Spirit, Unity) is manifest in the world as we see it, and we do not imitate the forms but rather seek to reflect the truths and the essence that made those forms. After reading this, one sees Wright's abstracted "natural" forms in a new light.

Cronon goes on to deconstruct Wright as a person and as a designer in a rather devastating way, probably coming closer to the truth of things than any other writer to date. (The leaking roof as metaphor for Wright's strengths, weaknesses and ultimate intention as an architect, is the theme.) The essay is found in the 1994 MoMA publication "Frank Lloyd Wright, Architect" (Terence Riley, ed) which accompanied the museum's major exhibition of Wright works.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Miguel » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:02 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:15 am

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:29 am

Refrigerated Fisheries Warehouse (1933) in Oporto, Portugal
Architect: Januário Godinho & Engineer Correia de Araújo

Porto had a history of sardine cannery industries in the 1930-1950s. This refrigerated warehouse is typical of early Portuguese Modernism with strong German and French influence. It is in the list of Portuguese Heritage Industrial Buildings of Architectural Interest. I'm pretty sure restoration is planned for it.

Choppy translation from Portuguese here: http://tinyurl.com/2vwzj9

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:54 am

Here are two late-'thirties Wright Usonians in their original cypress "dress," photographed in the late 'eighties. . .

Image John Pew

Image Lloyd Lewis

Image ditto

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:14 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:35 am

Sadly, even beautiful materials may not last indefinitely. It's a good thing that porch enclosure above isn't expected to keep the weather out !

SDR

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Birtcher House - H. H. Harris, Los Angeles, CA

Postby Josquin » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:08 pm

Original redwood siding on the Birtcher Share House - H. H. Harris. The redwood oxidized to almost a black patina.
Before
After the boards have been replaced or resurfaced.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:47 pm

Should we start a thread for aged architecture?

Sea water municipal swimming pool (1966 - Alvaro Siza) in Leça, Portugal
This is what the sea air does to concrete and wood over time:

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:10 pm

Mmm. It takes a true fan of architecture to appreciate what must look to others like a detention facility, or worse. I particularly like what I see in the first "narrow" image. . .

Perhaps a once-every-ten-years sandblasting would refresh this gutsy and vital work by a master of architecture. . .? Or perhaps there is a different reality when one sees it in person. Have you been there, Miguel ?

SDR

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:26 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:31 pm

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:01 pm

Yup, Rockland... pretty much used. In fact, it gets really packed in the Summer:
ImageImage

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:46 pm

http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”