1969 Dodge Charger, modern car?

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

tallrick
Modern Socialite

1969 Dodge Charger, modern car?

Postby tallrick » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:16 pm

Those are the only cars I have had, and still drive. Is it a "modern" car or just the General Lee?
Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

MD²
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby MD² » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:39 pm

MCM : roughly 1945~1965 (give or take a few...), though definitions will vary.

So... IMHO: A "General Lee", but still a fantastic car!

Had it been a 1968, it might have "just" qualified, all of this due to .

The 1969's major differences with a 1968 model is the center divided grille and longitudual taillights.
I think that these details alone identifies the 1969 model more with the 70s than the 60s design style.
The 1968 was sort of a transition year, with a new body, but the old grille & lights style.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:16 am

Your definitions will indeed vary...certainly the 30s Tatras, if not the Airflows, ooze oozy Modernism...

...but as long as we're on the subject of IMHOs, please allow me to throw in my very H and extremely subjective O:

I've always had a thing for the 70 Coronet. Don't know why. Ok, I do know why. It's that grill. It's evil. It's E-vil. That's why. Check it out.

ImageImageImage

MD²

Postby MD² » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:32 am

Interesting point Nathan.

Indeed, "Modernism" evolved out of many changes & movements throughout the 19th century & "machines" & their design played a great role in it. After WWI, fascinated by aviation & aerodynamics, designers pushed car design into the modern era, ultimately breaking into mass produced vehicules, like the 1938 Porsche designed Beetle.

As for what is MCM? Automobile design underwent a major change after WWII. Its evolution, which had been very similar on both sides of the Atlantic until then, rapidly diverged into distinct schools.
And in many cases, the very designers involved in this "split", were people who had fled Europe during the war to seek refuge in the USA.
So where could we "situate" the "starting point" of MCM car design? Postwar USA: ~1945, same as in architecture...
Where could it "end" is indeed an interesting question.
The cultural revolution in the second half of the 60s I'd say is a good benchmark.
The 60s brought much criticism onto the modern movement & the wish to start on a clean slate. You could make a parrallel here & see the work of the Italian firm Superstudio at the end of the 60s.
As for how this translates into car design? My impression is that something "new" emerged from Europe at that time, while american car design lingered on (still?), "lost" in its past glory, until enough time had gone by to move into "retromodern"...

:) NOW! This being said, the Coronet had a predecessor in it's 1959 form:

Similar "eyes" on the 1959 Bonneville:

On the subject of peculiar "eyes", the Batmobile's (1955 Lincoln Futura Concept Car) were used on the 1956 Lincoln Premiere:

...and back to the Coronet

1935 Tatra T77-a

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:41 pm

Arn't those Tatra's fantastic!

I want one!

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

Modern Motoring
Modern Fan

Postby Modern Motoring » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:53 pm

I used to have a 1959 Dodge Coronet and a 1968 Dodge Charger. My then wife made me sell them off.... I miss those cars :( , I don't miss that wife! :P

VMacek
Modern Socialite

Postby VMacek » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:30 pm

I give the '69 Charger major cool points for being Brock Samson's wheels in 'The Venture Bros', really put through its paces in the Season 1 episode 'Dia de los Dangerous'!

Designergenes
Modern Fan

Postby Designergenes » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:38 pm

All joking aside- I'll give a "YES" to the Charger. I'm not a huge muscle car fan anymore, but the oddness of the Chrysler products keeps me interested- I think they're groovy.

Many Chryslers of the late 60's and early 70's took on a "Fuselage" styling- like the Charger, their fascia sports what looks like a large, blunt fresh-air intake. The bodies are more "cigar'- like.
Reminds me of the F-86:

Or the Super Sabre:

The Camaro had a similar flavor- just smaller and sexier:
<br>
It's cool stuff!!
"Whoopin' ass and fussing over complementary color harmonies since 1968"

Designergenes
Modern Fan

Postby Designergenes » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:10 pm

...and then there's this weird little concept car. Definitely contrived from the Charger --but in a more cutesy way for sure.

"Whoopin' ass and fussing over complementary color harmonies since 1968"

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”