Gold Line extension (don't hold your breath)

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Gold Line extension (don't hold your breath)

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:46 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

And isn't that just the way things go

Postby modfan » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:50 pm

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:37 pm

Can someone put me in touch with people involved with the Gold Line extension to Pomona?

I'm working on a story about it.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

You could write to me here or at DrLao@yahoo.com

Thank you.
Last edited by I_LUV_POWER!!!! on Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alanloomis
Modern Socialite

Postby alanloomis » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:59 am

Parsons Engineering (the local office is located downtown) is doing the preliminary engineering and environmental reports for San Gabriel Valley extension of the Gold Line. A draft EIR/S was supposed to be completed in a few months (April-ish), but Im not sure if that schedule still holds considering the MTA recently shifted money from planning that extension to building the East LA extension.

Given the political turf wars going on the Inland Empire over this line, it seems unlikely that trains will be runing anytime in the next 10 years - 15 might be more realistic. (The fractious politics will not look good for the San Gabriel Valley when they compete with other regions for federal funds).

Nonetheless, Montclair (the proposed eastern terminus of the line) and Azusa are in the first stages of planning for development around their stations. The Azusa effort is being spearheaded by both the City staff and the non-profit group Gold Line Tomorrow (www.goldlinetomorrow.org).

The minimum operational segment is to Irwindale - portions of the Miller Brewing grounds are the only available land for the necessary maintanence yards (the current mid-way yards near the Cornfield will not be sufficient to handle the entire line). The fact that there is an operational freight line and Metrolink trains running in the same right-of-way for much of the route makes the engineering very complicated (and expensive). Most of the existing tracks will have to removed and relocated to accomodate the two-tracks for the light-rail - so the 210 overpass may not have even worked if it still existed.

The Wilshire Busway and the Expo Line are higher priorities for the MTA than the San Gabriel Valley Gold Line, so I would expect to see those first. After, of course, the San Fernando Valley Busway and the East LA Gold Line extension, both of which have recently started construction.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:57 pm

Thank you for the info!!

Has there been any discussion among the cities (Monrovia, Azusa, etc.) of bypassing MTA as Pasadena did?

Thanks again!

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby JAB » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:10 pm

Pasadena in no way bypassed the MTA. All of the funding was thru the MTA. As was planned, the MTA is operating it. The only thing that the MTA was bypassed on was the construction management.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:33 pm

alanloomis
Modern Socialite

Postby alanloomis » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:47 pm

A Gold Line update:

1) The Montclair extension is now officially being called the "Foothill Extension" as opposed to Phase II. Which makes sense, since the East LA extension of the Gold Line will in fact be Phase II, and "Foothill" obviously plays better with the identity politics in the East San Gabriel Valley.

2) The East LA extension is scheduled to begin construction in mid 2004, with a 2009 opening. http://www.metro.net/projects_plans/eas ... efault.htm

3) The soonest the Foothill extension will be ready for construction is 2006. (This assumes some political plays between the MTA and the San Gabriel Valley cities is resolved in the coming months so that there is an agreement about which agency will manage the final engineering through mid-2004 to 2006 and subsequent construction). Assuming construction money is available in 2006, trains could be running to Montclair by 2013. If the politics arent resolved or money isnt available, then the schedule obviously slips back.

At issue between the MTA and the SGV cities is managment of the money - the SGV cities feel that a) the MTA has squandered the enormous amount of money it has already received (mostly for the Red Line subway overruns), and b) that the MTA will always siphon off SGV money for projects in the central city. The SGV cities feel that they will have better access to money because they have been underserved by transportation funding in California and have better political connections in Washington (David Drier), so they should ultimately be the agency to receive money to construct the Foothill Extension (and the Alameda Corridor East project).

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:36 pm

It's taken over 20 years (that I know of) to bring the Gold Line to the San Gabriel Valley. I remember reading discussions of plans being floated when I 1st moved to LA back in the mis '80s, & it was the '90s before they began removing the old rails from the right of way between the freeways. It doesn't surprise me that it's expected to take another 10 years to start running trains out to Montclair.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S.

alanloomis
Modern Socialite

Postby alanloomis » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:44 pm

www.metrogoldline.org has recently been updated, with aerial photos and other good information about all the proposed stations between Pasadena and Montclair. And a great animated logo.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Orange line

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:30 pm

modfan

Orange line

Postby modfan » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:11 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:28 pm

modfan

maybe they will

Postby modfan » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:40 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:06 pm

Our METRO RAPID system is fairly quick and painless. It runs every 3-10 minutes, uses that 'no-red-lights device, It's $3 bucks to ride all day and 80% of MTA buses run on Compressed Natural Gas (the largest fleet in the country) and the orange line is on an old recycled light rail line.

Apparently the only losers are the Valley pedestrians that have to switch from walking along abandoned RR tracks to lavishly landscaped sidewalks ....

http://www.mta.net/projects_plans/rapid/overview.htm

But, boy oh boy do I love my gas guzzlin' Oldsmobile!
Ooh. Oldsmobile.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:56 am

Well, lookie here. From Councilman Tom LaBonge's latest newsletter.

"The busway will transform the Valley in so many ways. People will want to ride the beautiful Moderne-style silver buses through the lush landscape. It will be a totally new experience and I know it will be an instant hit with riders."

http://www.lacity.org/council/cd4/

Velas
Modern Master

Postby Velas » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:37 am

ww.panoramaonview.org

designmatters
Modern Fan

Postby designmatters » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:41 pm

Velas,

The orange line is the Valley busway. It runs from the red line subway terminus in North Hollywood, along the Chander ROW through NoHo, Sherman Oaks, Valley Glen, skirts by Valley College while transferring to land alongside Oxnard street, hits the Van Nuys civic center, rins along the North edge of the Sepulveda Dam, and then continues on until finally ending at Warner Center in Canoga Park.

The route is a former freight railline and the busway has been engineered for easy conversion to light-rail.

You can see the articulated buses on this website:

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:10 pm

modfan

I heard this on the radio too

Postby modfan » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:05 am

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:11 am

alanloomis
Modern Socialite

Postby alanloomis » Sun May 01, 2005 9:04 pm

Expo Line - scheduled to start construction next spring, with trains running in 2009-10 - will depart 7th St Metro Station, share tracks with the Blue Line past Staples, then run down Flower St or Hill St, turn west on Exposition Blvd and follow Expo Blvd to Culver City. Funding is all local, and is somehow tied up with meeting Federal air quality standards - I guess the way the Feds calculate it, if we don't have Expo Line, we don't meet their standards, and then won't receive any more Federal transportation funding - so we have to build Expo Line now. The Line will eventually follow Expo Blvd to Santa Monica, with a detour around Chevoit Hills on Venice and Sepulveda Blvds (probably). The Santa Monica terminus will be the Sears Auto Facility, although if/when the Santa Monica Mall gets redeveloped, the terminus may end up as part of that complex instead. All words are that Santa Monica is VERY interested in seeing the line completed to the beach.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Mon May 02, 2005 7:02 pm

Does the train right-of-way on Exposition Blvd. go all the way to Culver City, or will new tracks have to be put in? Will the light rail have right-of-way at intersections?

Thanks.

modfan

I think parts & pieces of

Postby modfan » Tue May 03, 2005 6:46 am

the right of way still exist-they are signed and there is a median or a very wide shoulder at one side-I think they were smart to not sell it off to build something else that later MTA would have to buy and demolish.

60000MPH
Modern Master

Re: I think parts & pieces of

Postby 60000MPH » Sat May 07, 2005 11:26 am

60000MPH
Modern Master

Re: I think parts & pieces of

Postby 60000MPH » Sat May 07, 2005 11:27 am

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Postby davidk6 » Sat May 07, 2005 4:12 pm

Can you possibly simplify your argument? I can't figure out why you think there's too much public transportation in LA -- or if you really do.

We live in LA a few months a year don't drive after dark because of vision problems. The public transportation system -- mainly MTA buses and the Metro -- are wonderful; enable us to get virtually anywhere we want to.

The downtown->Exposition Park->Culver City (or the ocean) will be great for me as, when I'm in LA, I'm working at USC.

Dave
Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

60000MPH
Modern Master

Streamline the system

Postby 60000MPH » Sat May 07, 2005 7:26 pm

I propose the system(s) need to be simplified in order to work. The constant destruction on the commuter lines is an all to alarming red flag for me. I agree, the buses are wonderful, I have often used the buses between Santa monica and Pacific Palisades and malibu as well as UCLA.
I also agree that a train going from the Sears in Santa Monica to USC would be great for me since i am currently having work done at their wonderful dental school and the morning traffic on the 10 is a big drag.
However, the system needs to be cohesive and standardized in order to serve so many hundreds of communities in the greater Los Angeles area. It seems to me that one little line at a time is not a masterplan at all. The urban planning dept at USC and UCLA ought to be using this as a means to grant masters degrees. have the students propose real masterplans fot the awful transportation problem that is overwhelming LA. The freeways were a complete mistake. Hopefully the Japanese Hybrid can be a stopgap for now but the problem will loom larger later. What is the projected pop growth for the city in twenty years? What is the growth of new cities in Asia and India for the next twenty years? They are staggering figures.
I propose the 10 freeway must be transformed into a true rail train corridor with stations and parkways filling in around it. With a much smaller freeway along either side if need be. The 10 freeway has way to much room. Limit its use to only hybrids and ultra clean emissions vehicles and run a rail line down the middle of it.
The big dig in Boston is one example of overhauling an wasteful system. The internal combustion engine was outmoded when the freeways were being built. It all points to the american lack of long sight. Except when there is quick profit to be had. Then all the gears are set to work for a singular purpose. The absurd notion that the world even needs oil is a big lie. Cars can run on chicken gizards. Tyson could supply all the fuel needed for the suburbans and hummers. I propose we tax the hell out of those vehicles for being used in the city. Paris France has outlawed SUVs.

modfan

It's really not too

Postby modfan » Sun May 08, 2005 4:50 am

Disorganized compared to some places. But I think most of it has to do with turf. The local MTA was a consolidation of some transit systems in LA county (and other counties I think) to provide a regional transit system. True there were all these red line ones in the past and the stuff about the oil barons and GM is legend. And most of the larger airports are under various juristictions-LAX, Antelope Valley and Ontario (& Van Nuys?) are under LA City juristiction. Theyve been trying for years to develop Antelope Valley but opposition seems to be less now even though it still has problems with distance, elevation (pilots have issues with takeoffs & landings at higher elevations-pilots on here enlighten us) Burbank is a joint powers with Glendale& Pasadena and Long Beach is under that city and Orange under that county I think-there is no regional airport authority (except maybe SCAG) to consolidate planning and to some extent that is true with ground transit systems-there are still local transit lines that want their turf-Gardena Torrance Foohill OCTD Omnit trans etc. so there are still some issues with that.

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Re: Streamline the system

Postby davidk6 » Sun May 08, 2005 7:16 am

Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”