Original Sesame Street no longer suitable for children?

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Original Sesame Street no longer suitable for children?

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:56 am

Warnings on Sesame Street
The original episodes are apparently no longer suitable for today's toddlers.

By VIRGINIA HEFFERNAN
Published: November 18, 2007

Sunny days! The earliest episodes of “Sesame Streetâ€￾ are available on digital video! Break out some Keebler products, fire up the DVD player and prepare for the exquisite pleasure-pain of top-shelf nostalgia.

Just don’t bring the children. According to an earnest warning on Volumes 1 and 2, “Sesame Street: Old Schoolâ€￾ is adults-only: “These early ‘Sesame Street’ episodes are intended for grown-ups, and may not suit the needs of today’s preschool child.â€￾

Full story: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/magaz ... ium-t.html

tallrick
Modern Socialite

Postby tallrick » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:53 am

This is a joke, right? I grew up watching this stuff and learned a lot. That and Mr Rogers neighborhood. No wonder I put a traffic light in my living room! Still hav my "big birds" and sesame street walking letters.
Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:54 am

Geez! It's a wonder I survived my childhood at all!

Sesame Street has always been a cutting-edge television show, reflecting the most contemporary research in child and developmental psychology. Much has changed in those fields over the past nearly 40 years (which is a LONG time for a TV show!). Some of the changes over the years are indeed well-grounded in this research (such as the "coming out" of Snuffleupagus in the 80's).

HOWEVER...

Sadly, though, I think the "warning" about what the old scenes could do to today's children is a very accurate representation of how coddled and sheltered our children are, and how overprotective and paranoid parents are. Kids are much more resilient than today's parents seem to realize.

I recently saw a newer version of the show and, frankly, I thought it rather obnoxious...definitely not like the shows of old that I remembered. I just tossed the "Old School" series onto my Netflix queue for kicks. It'll be interesting to see anew how much things have changed since then.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:54 pm

HotrodLincoln67
Modern Groupie

Postby HotrodLincoln67 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:57 pm

Wow!
It was good enough for me, it will be good enough for them im sure. The censor need to get a life or get some maybe? :P

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”