Disneyland Revives 'House of Future'

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
spinsLPs
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Disneyland Revives 'House of Future'

Postby spinsLPs » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:38 pm

5280mod
Modern Socialite

BOO!

Postby 5280mod » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:34 pm

From the article:

"The new home will be made of wood and steel and finished in muted browns and beiges, said Sheryl Palmer, president and chief executive of Taylor Morrison in North America.

''The 1950s home didn't look like anything, anywhere. It was space-age and kind of cold,'' she said. ''We didn't want the (new) home to intimidate the visitors. We want the house to be real accessible to our guests.''

Aaaack! A 5000 square foot home for a family of 4 decorated in muted browns and beiges!! Really, that's the home of the future?

How very distressing.
Shannon Stanbro
720.279.4884 Cell
877.713.1110 Toll Free
www.5280mod.com

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:41 pm

From the article:

The ''House of the Future,'' a pod-shaped, all-plastic dwelling that quickly seemed quaint closed its doors a decade later.

I'm too young to have been through the original (I was born about two months after it closed), but I've never heard of anyone describing it as "quaint." I've read that it was upgraded at least once and that Monsanto stopped sponsoring it because "Inner Space" was a more compelling concept.

Does anyone here remember the original? Did it seem"quaint" toward the end? None of the people I know described it that way. Most were impressed at predictions like the electric toothbrush (which of course was pretty big by the '70s but seems to have lost popularity since) and the microwave oven.

This new House of the Future sounds the same as Innoventions.

5280mod
Modern Socialite

Postby 5280mod » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:29 pm

If you search around here you'll find some good stuff on the Monsanto House of the Future...

These will get you started:

Shannon Stanbro

720.279.4884 Cell

877.713.1110 Toll Free

www.5280mod.com

MCMAdmirer
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby MCMAdmirer » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:22 pm

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

In other words

Postby modfan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:34 am

Their plopping down a 5000 sf McMansion in the middle of Disneyland and all the innovative (and probably superflous space) will just be on the highly corporate sponsored inside.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:38 pm

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: In other words

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:58 am

spinsLPs

Postby spinsLPs » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:25 pm

It looks VERY disappointing. #-o

Here's David Rakoff's take on it.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Hmm

Postby modfan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:59 pm

Seems the inside is highly corporate sponsored and kind of like walking thru rooms at IKEA-it's not even a complete house.

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”