Hovercraft

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BazzasBizzi
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hovercraft

Postby BazzasBizzi » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:25 pm

:? Hovercraft, now there is something about them that draws me like an ant to honey, :D . Does anyone else have the same attraction to them?[/b]
Those that hold their own, do not hold others.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:34 am

There's a guy who wants to have them used as mass transit: http://www.aeromobile.com/aeroduct1.htm

It makes me think of the air cars in Disney's The Black Hole, which are used to get around this massive spaceship.

Futurist Syd Mead discussed some exciting, futuristic hover craft ideas by Michael Crisman (hover homes) in Outre magazine (#20). For info on getting this issue, go to www.filmfax.com

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:30 am

Here's a link to the
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Hoover Constellation

Postby Dan O. » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:44 pm

I recently found out that the original Hoover Constellation (the spherical, Saturnesque vacuum cleaner) had no wheels but used the exhaust ducted out the bottom to float like a hover-(hoover-)craft. The foating idea only worked well on a smooth hard surface (like a floor WITHOUT carpet) so was eventually scrapped in favor of conventional wheels.

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:43 am

From http://www.74simon.co.uk/hoover2.html :

The Hoover Constellation 867
The Constellation is quite possibly the nearest there is to a 'cult' vacuum cleaner, due to its novel shape, and unique 'floating action. While the styling is derived from both contemporary Sci-Fi and fifties atomic imagery (the Constellation being first introduced in the US in 1954), later models from 1958 onwards used the Hovercraft technique to move the cleaner around; i.e. the air outlet was placed under the machine, lifting it when switched on. This is one of the first vintage vacs I bought, before I started to take my collecting bug seriously!

From the page:

The "Sweeping Changes" display in the boyhood home of Hoover Company founder, William H. "Boss" Hoover, traces the history of cleaning devices with a focus on Hoover vacuum cleaner technology, The Hoover Company and the Hoover family. Antique cleaning devices and manual cleaners from the late 1800s are included in the permanent display. Showcased among the early electric vacuum cleaners is the first Hoover vacuum cleaner, the Model O, manufactured in 1908. The Model O was the first commercially successful portable electric vacuum cleaner.
Elegant Victorian decor complements the "Sweeping Changes" display which chronicles the history of The Hoover Company and the evolution of vacuum cleaners. These advances in Hoover vacuums are featured throughout the museum and include a current Hoover product display, vintage ads and military items Hoover produced for World War II. Hoover innovation in the 1920s-decade is displayed with the 1923 Model 541, the first die-cast aluminum cleaner. And again with the Model 700 in 1926, which introduced the beater bar on the agitator.

Among the interactives on the tour is a push-button to activate a recording of Hoover salesmen singing, "All The Dirt, All The Grit," the Company theme song of the 1920s and '30s. Hands-on displays include a replica of the 1910 manual Kotten suction cleaner which require the user to stand on a platform and rock side-to-side to activate the bellows for suction; a WWII helmet liner and helmet; the 1956 Hoover Constellation canister which rode on a cushion of air; and the current Hoover Self-Propelled WindTunnelâ„¢ upright.

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:36 pm

I seem to remember a hoovering lawnmower from when I was a kid. It had no wheels and rode on an air cushion. I just saw the tv ads, never saw one in person.

I did ride the hoovercraft from Dover to France about 20 years ago. The scale is so huge it did not feel much different from a train or plane ride.
Greg
gregory la vardera architect
modern stock plans www.lamidesign.com/plans
design blogger www.materialicio.us

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:25 am

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”