Dodge La Femme

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

Daddy-O
Modern Groupie

Dodge La Femme

Postby Daddy-O » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:04 pm

The '55 and '56 Dodge La Femme were the only cars ever marketed directly to women. In 1955 the cars were painted Heather Rose and Sapphire White. The car came standard with a purse, rain coat and hat. There were special containers built into the back of each front seat to hold the accessories.

For 1956, the colors were changed to two-tone Misty Orchid and Regal Orchid (lavender) and the accessories included a rain cap, rain coat, and umbrella. The material of the accessories matched the headliner of the car.

Very few were built and fewer remain today.

Since we first started dating, my wife always said she wanted one... but knowing how rare they were, we felt that it would never happen. To further limit my choices, she wanted a '56. She liked the colors better!

A few months ago I found her car. It was owned by the man who ran the dodgelafemme.com website. We had to have it.

It's a great car and gets a lot of attention wherever we go in it.

We are now in the running for the NY Times Collectible Car of the Year contest. Please vote -- DAILY!!!

http://collectiblecars.nytimes.com/Cont ... #COL810211

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:04 am

What a fantastic-looking car it is -- even better in person! (My wife drooled over it in your driveway.) Glad you were able to find such a rare auto in such pristine condition.

I didn't notice the interior before. How wild is that upholstery!?

You definitely got my vote.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

yum, yummy!

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:56 am

OK, Slim can tell you I have been lusting for one of these for a looong time. They are the coooolest! Congrats- so glad one of these gems found a loving home.

I have been thinking also about giving another car a similar treatment. My ridiculous fantasy would be to take an International Harvester Travelall (say a nice curvy '62?) and give it a pastel paintjob, wacky uphostery and make a coat, bag and umbrella to match. My pinkmobile would then have the most macho powerhouse imaginable all wrapped in fluffy frosting. How cool would that be?

I'll probably have to settle for doing this to a wagon or sedan. I think a Studebaker would do nicely, though. Or one of those cute Valiant wagons.

We will vote early and often. This is SWELL!
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

FinFan
Modern Socialite

Postby FinFan » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Ooh, that's fantastic :) LaFemmes are so precious. If you're gonna have any troubles with it , you can visit forwardlook.net, the best place for '55-'61 Forward Look ChryCo products.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Wasn't there

Postby modfan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:47 am

a later adaptation not necessarily named but I think Plymouth offered an option of flowered pattern vinyl roof on their Satellite models or maybe on the equivalent Dodge.

Skylark
Modern Socialite

Postby Skylark » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:27 am

Is this the car I just saw on CBS Sunday Morning?

Very cool story, and that ride looks swellegant!

VMacek
Modern Socialite

Postby VMacek » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:20 pm

Very smart car - and the orchid/pink colors weren't really beyond the pale in those two-tone days. I'll bet this inspired the 'Simpsons' episode where the hulking Canyonero SUV Homer bought turned out to be the 'lady's edition', with a lipstick holder in place of a lighter. Horrified, he promptly handed it over to his wife.

Modfan - I remember seeing that flowered vinyl roof car. If I recall, it came out a few years after the hippie era but it was kind of marketed in that fashion? One I really couldn't figure out was a special edition 1969 full-size Fury coupe painted gold with a heavy-patterned vinyl roof called the 'Snapper', using a cartoon turtle logo. I mean, what the hell, Plymouth? (A friend's dad did buy one though)

VMacek
Modern Socialite

Postby VMacek » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:28 pm

A little Google search later, I see a yellow flowered vinyl roof was an option on the 1969 Plymouth Barracuda. Yes, just what the tough guy muscle car crowd was looking for...but there may have been some marketable overlap between hot-rodder and hippie.

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”