Films with loads of cool mid century furniture/design sets

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
harperfinds
Modern Groupie

Films with loads of cool mid century furniture/design sets

Postby harperfinds » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:15 pm

Winter is the time for watching movies- What are your top ten post war films I should watch with cool furniture / design sets? It would be nice for the films to have a good story line also :)
Thanks for your recommendations!
Tom in Lawrence KS.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:02 pm

Hello dare, haperfinds.

Did you mean in a movie that was made during the period, or a movie that takes place in the period, but was made later?

There are certainly a lot of good ones in both groups - a lot of them discussed elsewhere in this forum - although, it seems to me that the first group had a lower degree of difficulty in capturing the period!

I'll just throw out one from each ... I think "The Party," a comedy with Peter Sellers, will be on everyone’s top 10 list. And in the second group, "Ray!," about Ray Charles. While that's not going to be on everyone's top 10, it has some significance to me because my first post here was about the movie.

Be on the lookout for "Revolutionary Road." I've heard mixed reviews about it, but while it might be a downer of a movie, I suspect it will have pretty good production values about the mcm period.

tomb
Modern Master

Postby tomb » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:39 pm

I posted on another thread about it recently, but Fahrenheit 451, from 1966 has some nice interiors, the house in the beginning and the stars house, very ice. good film too!

Buddies Lounge
Modern Socialite

Postby Buddies Lounge » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:02 pm

There is always Phillip Vandamm's house in "North By Northwest" which is Hollywood at it's best!
Listen to "An Evening at The Buddies Lounge" Hi-Fi Hour at http://buddieslounge.podomatic.com/ or http://www.live365.com/stations/buddies ... te=live365 Every Friday evening a new show is added! Don't miss it!

Miami Modern
Modern Fan

For Starters...

Postby Miami Modern » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:58 am

Our Man Flint (1966)
Marriage on the Rocks (1965)
Guide For the Married Man (1967)
Boys Night Out (1962)
Bachelor in Paradise (1961)
"It's the Mid-Century Modern feeling that you give me."

scowsa
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby scowsa » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:27 am

Here's an earlier thread on a similar topic

scowsa

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:49 pm

Check out "A Summer Place" from 1959 and filmed in glorious technicolor. The setting is supposed to be Maine but is actually Carmel. After a successful (but formerly poor) businessman rediscovers his first (but now married) love, they decide to run off together. Wouldn't you know it, they settle down in the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Walker House, circa 1948. There are some nice exterior scenes. The interior ones might have been shot in the house too but I think more likely were studio work - still pretty fab whichever.

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”