Ricardo Montalban 1920-2009

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Ricardo Montalban 1920-2009

Postby nichols » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:50 pm

LOS ANGELES TIMES

'Fantasy Island' actor Ricardo Montalban dies at 88
He was often cast -- and stereotyped -- as a Latin lover and later was best known as Mr. Roarke of 'Fantasy Island.' He was respected for his work to improve the roles and image of other Latino actors.
By Lorenza Muñoz

2:20 PM PST, January 14, 2009
Ricardo Montalban, the suave leading man who was one of the first Mexican-born actors to make it big in Hollywood and who was best known for his role as Mr. Roarke on ABC's "Fantasy Island," has died. He was 88...

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-mew-mont ... 5909.story

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:14 pm

And he has a theater named after him in Hollywood.

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Postby scottkaycee » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:54 am

Mr. Montalban was such a gracious man, and his performances had such presence. I have a Montalban story, as a life long Trekkie and a life long latino he was a truly inspirational figure to me, he had such grace and class. I did not get to meet him personally but I did hear him speak at his first Star Trek Convention in 2001 in Pasadena. He came out on stage to a standing ovation, and explained to us how grateful he was for our affection, he said he was in constant pain and was in a wheel chair, but that at moments like that he didnt feel the pain and he thanked us for that. He told a few stories, an audience member stood up and said how his mother or aunt(I dont recall) found him so irresistable that when he pitched the Cordoba she was hooked and went out and bought one. He then asked if Mr. Montalban would intone the virtues of "Soft Corinthian Leather" to which in his graciousness he indeed did recite the line , and the hall erupted in cheers and another standing ovation! I think a lot of performers would have thought it "beneath their dignity" to recite lines from an old campy commercial, but he was such a showman he indulged his audience. Simply a class act.
How about a career in Architecture? www.scottkirkcueto.blogspot.com

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:43 am

Even deceased ... he looks marvelous!

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”