Las Vegas monorail now opening March 1

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Las Vegas monorail now opening March 1

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:10 am

Las Vegas's new monorail, which will parallel most of the strip, had its debut delayed from December '03 to March '04.

more info:

http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/LasVegas.html

http://www.lvmonorail.com

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:13 pm

Wow those fairs seem a little steep when the monorail isn't that long after all... and it only operates until midnight? WHAT this is Vegas baby - it should be on the night schedule... who's up at 8am in vegas?

kinda reminds me of DCA when they first opened... bet the high prices affect regular ridership.

I'm gonna try to be in Vegas around that time... Anyone who wants to hang out at our house for this grand opening?

Ross have they released the exact opening date?

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby JAB » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:32 pm

I don't know what the prices are but, my understanding is that this monorail is a privatized operation and isn't a government subsidized form of public transportation. You don't even want to know what the ticket prices would be for your favorite public transportation bus or rail line just to break even without government subsidies.

freddiefreelance
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby freddiefreelance » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:43 am

$2.50 is cheap compared to a taxi, but I agree that the 8 AM to 12 Midnight hours aren't the best for Vegas. I guess they've done traffic studies & surveys of possible riders & come up with these figures. I think $2.50 would be well worth it if they extended the line to the airport instead of downtown. Extend it 1st to the airport, adding a segment to downtown later & I'd probably ride it everytime I visited Vegas.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:05 am

Didn't you say, M-M, that the original plan had the monorail going to the airport, but taxi and bus groups objected mightily? A similar thing happened in L.A. when the light rail was going to stop at LAX.

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:16 am

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:40 pm

It's too bad that happens so often. I understand that the Oakland airport is FINALLY going to be connected to BART. Previously, BART stopped about 1/4 of a mile away from the airport.
Last edited by I_LUV_POWER!!!! on Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Not to mention the LAX one

Postby modfan » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:07 am

Metro Green line is just short of LAX. But there is a shuttle bus. But it seems they coulda shoulda woulda have an extension into the LAX terminals-it would be a real short extension.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:15 am

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:01 am

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:28 pm

The opening of the Las Vegas monorail has been delayed until around April. See: http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/News.html :( :(

Also notice on that page articles about a monorail track in Moscow, and there's pix of the Shanghai maglev.

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:33 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:28 am

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:15 pm

MM, I think they're working 'round the clock 'cause they have to run the monorail 24/7 for 30 days for testing purposes. The longer it takes 'til they're ready to start that testing, the longer it is 'til they can get paying passengers on board.

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:55 pm

I found some pictures of the LV Monorail Bombadier Mk VI cars:

"A nice surprise was on display by Bombardier. The first MVI for the Las Vegas Monorail system was trucked all the way from the Bombardier facility in Kingston, Canada. This is no mock up friends, it's the real deal."

"While there are similarities to the Mark VI trains of Walt Disney World, major changes have been made to both the car design and the suspension system."

"One neat design element has been added strictly for looks on the skirts. They told me these are called "warp lights."

"A ramp allowed visitors to climb up and take a look inside the slick-looking MVI train. Note the wheelchair space on the right."

"Gib raises the side panel for a look at the load and guide tires. Yes, he had permission!"

"I was told by one Bombardier engineer that the bogie design is radically different from Mark VI trains of WDW."

"Looking sideways under the nose of the train I was able to get a good look at the bumper, hidden from view beneath the nose cone of the train."

"Here's a good look at the guide tires next to the demonstration steel beam that the train sat upon. Bombardier representatives told me the train was headed back to Kingston for testing on their new test track facility. The new test track will feature sharp turns similar to the kind Las Vegas will have."

from http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/APTA02b.html

mlagirl80
Modern Socialite

security issues

Postby mlagirl80 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:45 pm

i remember quite some time ago reading that they didn't want to extend the green line directly to the airport because of security concerns... and in light of the recent events in madrid, i think that this will pretty much be ruled out forever at LAX... people here always suggest taking the subway to LAX and it just doesn't work for me since i'm carrying extra luggage and road cases and such... one time i thought i'd try to take the "train to the plane" to LGA from manhattan since i didn't have much luggage... it was the most confuzzled, 4 legged, inconvienient trip i had ever taken, i usually took a taxi... i never did it again after that, it just wasn't worth it and took almost 2-1/2 hours from the village... i tried! :roll:

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:20 am

The latest date set for the opening of the Las Vegas Monorail has been pushed back to this summer, possibly June. According to a report from KLAS TV, "the company managing the project is still conducting tests on the computer software that runs the entire rail system." The familiar explanation is being expressed, "we want it to be safe."

Operating hours have also been altered: 8 AM to Midnight for the 1st 3 months, then expanding to 6 AM to 2 AM.

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

The Monorail

Postby lasvegaslynn » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:30 pm

The monorail's opening has been delayed until summer but testing continues. The hope is to have the downtown leg up and running by 2007. The end station would be near the Ice House lounge at Bonneville and Main with downtown Fremont Street just a block or away.

The airport leg will hopefully be completed by 2010.

Lynn
Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:00 am

Another update on the LVM delay: the problem seems to be with the radio controlled automation & not just the computer. Occasionally the radio signal gets interupted & the monorail makes an emergency stop until it finds the signal again & resets. Everything else seems to be working, & the monorail runs fine with a driver, it's just taking extra time to get out these wrinkles in the automation.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:31 am

Thanks for the updates. Last summer the monorail at the Bellagio was undergoing changes in the route. I can't recall when it's scheduled to reopen or what changes are being made.

Las Vegas must be the monorail capital of the world.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:50 pm

i was by the convention center yesterday and they seemed to be still working on the station.

I WANNA RIDE THE MONORAIL PLEEEEEASE!

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

30 Day Test begins for LV Monorail

Postby freddiefreelance » Fri May 14, 2004 8:28 am

30-day test begins in Las Vegas. (5/13/04)

Las Vegas, Nevada. They're giving it another shot. On Monday, the Las Vegas Monorail began another 30-day test period, which if successful will lead to the long-anticipated opening. The test period includes running the entire system as it would in full service conditions. No passengers are onboard, but all other aspects of the test will duplicate a normal operation. Las Vegas Monorail officials stress that this test period does not guarantee any particular date for the opening. Another glitch could result in a re-start of the 30-day test. However, they are confident that "sometime this summer" is a good bet. During testing earlier this year, a drive shaft fell from one of the trains, and later operational software problems arose. The monorail will initially run approximately four miles between the MGM Resort and the Sahara Resort. A three-mile extension to downtown Las Vegas is planned to begin construction within the next few years and open by 2008.

. KVBC TV, 5/11/04.

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Las Vegas monorail

Postby lasvegaslynn » Sun May 16, 2004 3:28 pm

Let's hope no pieces fall off into traffic this time. From a news account in the RJ, the contractor is paying a hefty daily fine for not finishing the project by the contract date.

Lots of talk on the news and in the paper about the extension routes.

Here's hoping!

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:48 pm

This dude I know says that a monorail is being planned that will connect that cwoool place on the California-Nevada border with Los Vegas. He says it's a long-term project that will probably reach fruition in 12-15 years.

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Monorail delayed again

Postby lasvegaslynn » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:09 pm

According to the Las Vegas newspapers, the Monorail will not be
running by the fourth of July. They hope to have it running by
September 30th otherwise they have to renegotiate contracts.

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:44 am

Their current contracts're costing Bombadier something like $10,000 a Day that the monorail isn't open, so I think they want to get the project open ASAP. Everything's ready for the opening except the radio controlled automation system which has to work continuously on it's own for 30 days before it'll be allowed to operate with passengers. And they can't open it wit operators since they'd have to be trained, the controlls retooled, & then the operators would have to operate for 30 days with no glitches...

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

What I've heard is

Postby modfan » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:46 am

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:40 am

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:15 am

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:12 am

The opening date's now "Mid-Summer," with all the nebulousness that brings. From the :

Monorail a no-go for busy summer holiday

Strip transportation system won't be running by July 4
By Stephen Curran
LAS VEGAS SUN

During the busy Fourth of July weekend, visitors will have to stick to their regular modes of transportation as the long-anticipated Las Vegas monorail system still won't be running, the man in charge of the company created to run the project said.

The $650 million system, originally slated to open in January, will carry an estimated 20 million passengers from the MGM Grand on the south end of the strip to the Sahara on the north.

The route is the first step in a larger system that would eventually connect McCarran International Airport to the Strip and downtown Las Vegas.

A succession of glitches with mechanical and computer systems pushed the start date back several times as technicians work to correct the problems. The delays have caused the project's launch date to become "a moving target," said Jim Gibson, chief executive officer of the for-profit Transit System Management, which will run the monorail.

"We're not fixed on an opening date," said Gibson, who is also the mayor of Henderson. "I can't tell you when (it will open) exactly. If I had my way it would be earlier rather than later."

As of Friday, project leaders were sticking to previous estimates that the monorail would begin shuttling passengers mid-summer.

But Gibson said rumors the project would be running in time for the July 4th holiday are untrue.

"I'm sure like many other dates, it's been a possibility," he said, adding that setbacks have forced the projects past that date. "(Opening) July 1 is not possible."

The weekend, which last year drew more than 270,000 visitors, is one of the city's busiest, with about 94 percent of hotel rooms citywide booked, said Marina Nicola, a spokeswoman for the Las Vegas Visitors and Convention Authority.

This year's estimates will not be available until the last week in June, when hotel bookings are available to the agency, she said. Traditionally, holidays that fall on a three-day weekend are the busiest.

The holiday fell on a Friday last year and the high occupancy rate made for an above-average visitor volume, Nicola said. This year, Independence Day falls on a Sunday.

Once visitors get here, private vehicles and taxicabs are the most frequently used forms of transportation, according to the authority's monthly executive summary, which chronicles monthly visitor statistics.

With several computer and mechanical glitches still to be corrected, opening the monorail on a high-volume weekend would be asking for trouble, Gibson said.

"If we had been able to open July 1 the challenge would be meeting the traffic we're going to see for the fourth of July," he said. "As we work on this rolling target (date), we're considering all the activities that would strain the system. The way the process goes we would have to be a bunch of ninnies to have done that (planned the opening for that weekend)."

To be fully operational, the monorail must run trouble-free for 30 days, a goal that has so far kept the system from opening. Once a problem arises, engineers must restart the 30-day demonstration period, Gibson said.

"I don't think there are any issues that have hit us that are unknown to us at this point," he said.

Bombardier Transportation, the Canadian contractor building the system, is liable for fines of $85,000 a day for construction delays. The company had run up a tab of more than $9 million last month.

And, while the project has not been trouble-free long enough to set a launch date, Gibson said operators and contractors continue to make progress toward an opening date.

"When you get to this point (in the construction) even if you discover a problem it's not a setback," he said. "It's important to find these problems before we begin."

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”