mid-century cooking

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Roger Thornhill
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

mid-century cooking

Postby Roger Thornhill » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:57 pm

"And darkness, as darkness does, fell."

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:26 pm

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:25 pm

Roger Thornhill
Modern Master

Postby Roger Thornhill » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:44 am

That sausage covered with bacon really cracks me up! My Korean friends tell me that SPAM still has a big following in South Korea. Indeed, the Korean bakery near my work sells baked goods incorporating hot dogs in a manner pretty similar to these MCM cookbooks.

It does speak to how far grocery stores have come in terms of selection and quality.
"And darkness, as darkness does, fell."

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

not just any hot dogs, but teeny weenie

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:18 pm

I have a Huge collection of mid century cookbooks. The thematic type often are the ones that come with appliances or products. The one that got me started came with a Kelvinator fridge. PartyTime with Kelvinator!

I notice many of the themed books have a section on teen parties. I rarely see one that doesn't have some extremely inappropriate use of weenies and teens together. I've seen astroweenies, weenie cousins, etc. etc. Just asking way too much of teens not to get outta control on that tangent.

I am partial to the old 60's Betty Crocker Boys and Girls Cookbook. Featured prominently in my youth. The best part is the mini interviews that sound like " It's shake n bake.. and I HELPED!" sprinkled throughout. Oh, and the weird line drawings.

http://www.archive.org/stream/bettycroc ... 3/mode/2up

Old faves like Croque Monsieur and Bunny Salad.
http://www.archive.org/stream/bettycroc ... 6/mode/2up

No comment about the candle salad...
But the Castle Cake in there was a long deferred dream I made with a friend for his 39th Bday.

For actual RECIPES, I am very fond of church cookbooks. The weirdest thing I ever made was "Orange Sody Pop Cake with Cornflake Frosting"...it was actually kinda good.

Slim and I have been trying to get around to making Cherry Pie with a hatchet on top for Washington's BDay for -ever.

Love this stuff!

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Josquin

Midcentury Food

Postby Josquin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:59 pm

James Lileks, the author of Interior Desecrations: Hideous Homes from the Horrible '70s, has written two books on this subject of Midcentury cooking.

There are:

Gastroanomalies: Questionable Culinary Creations from the Golden Age of American Cookery

The Gallery of Regrettable Food

Of the many memorable culinary catastrophes of the sixties, my least favorite was the post Thanksgiving Turkey casserole with cream of mushroom soup.

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:01 pm

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”