1962 movie "X-15" on DVD from MGM

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
So_Cal_Native_in_Texas
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

1962 movie "X-15" on DVD from MGM

Postby So_Cal_Native_in_Texas » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:03 pm

Didn't know where else to post this, but the other night I got a copy of the new-to-DVD 1962 Richard Donner-directed movie , with Charles Bronson, Mary Tyler Moore, James Gregory, Kenneth Tobey, and others (it was cheap, only about $10 bucks at Best Buy), and I just wanted to tell everyone that it's a very interesting glimpse at the world of then-cutting edge military technology (the X-15 program), and the widescreen video transfer of this film is really pretty darned impressive. I guess what made me think to tell everyone here about it was when I saw the classic mid-century houses and autos. Some interesting sidebits to it are the occasional mention of NASA as "the N. A. S. A." (spelled out) and the fact that notorious SoCal Congressman Bob Dornan actually has a small part in this film!

Anyway, I just noticed that it was a little-known title (I, the film maniac, had actually never even heard of it before, believe it or not) that got a decent DVD release, and since it's from the period we love so much, you might want to pick it up or at least rent it.

|

Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite

Postby Satan's Sin » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:30 pm

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

This is one of those movies

Postby modfan » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:25 am

Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite

Postby Satan's Sin » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:40 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Maybe it was a another similar

Postby modfan » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:05 pm

Atomic Ranch Editor
Modern Fan

Postby Atomic Ranch Editor » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:28 pm

If you're really interested in X-15 stuff, I'd recommend two books: "X-15 The NASA Mission Reports" from Apogee Books (I got mine from the San Diego Air and Space Museum bookstore) This one is kinda dry but has a bonus CD ROM with actual footage of some flights. The second book is "At The Edge of Space: The X-15 Flight Program" by Milton O. Thompson who was an honest-to-gosh pilot in the program. This one is a better read but both recall a ground breaking time for mid century aerospace.

Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite

Postby Satan's Sin » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:10 pm

Thanks very much for the recommendations! I think I will follow up -- I live in San Diego and it's been an awfully long while since I've been to the Aerospace Museum. Now I have an excuse!

L.A.kevin
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby L.A.kevin » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:57 pm

Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite

Postby Satan's Sin » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:18 am

Two things --

1. Finally got my copy of X-15 and it exceeded all expectations. Now surpasses "Strategic Air Command" as my fave Air Force movie. Really just great.

2. Did the X-15 make it into "space?" I got the impression (not from this movie, but other sources) that it did (i.e., exceeded an altitude of 50 miles?).

If the X-15 made it into space, why was not more made of this? Wouldn't this have actually preceeded the Soviet's first man in space? Or was it the fact that the Soviets actually had a guy orbit the earth -- as opposed to flying up to the edge and then coming back down -- the Holy Grail?

Aerospace buffs -- please set me straight!

Atomic Ranch Editor
Modern Fan

X-15 Movie on DVD

Postby Atomic Ranch Editor » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:27 pm

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:28 am

Another interesting tidbit of note - the program was overshadowed by Mercury mostly due to so many of the X-15 test pilots being civilian (I think there were around 5). All the media attention was on the military-background heroes of the official US space program.

Also thanks once again for posting about the DVD - I hadn't realized it was available as a DVD widescreen transfer.

-- John

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”