Vintage or retro looking fabrics

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:34 pm

There's an AMAZING fabric source in the Bay Area. New remainders at near wholesale prices, excellent selection. Not vintage, but we've found TONS of great retro upholstery for our period furniture there. They also have dressmaker fabrics, ethnic silks, trendy stuff, rayon novelties and trims galore.

Fabrics R Us at King and Berryessa in San Jose ( in the Yellow Pages).

Two shops CRAMMED full of fabrics and very persuasive Vietnamese ladies. You will not go home empty handed, but you'll be spoiled. I've rarely seen fabric there for more than $20/yd, but most of our upholstery was less than $10. I got material for my HUGE wedding dress for $30 total. Really.

Worth a trip. The BEST!
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

62P&K
Modern Master

Classic textiles

Postby 62P&K » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:16 pm

some great classics by Lucienne Day

http://www.classictextiles.com/day.html
Jennie and Zane

luciteflower
Modern Fan

Vintage or retro looking fabrics

Postby luciteflower » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:40 pm

Hi,
I've looked at lots of repro fabric websites and my favorite is www.fmart.com - very reasonable and a good selection. I bought fabric from them to make curtain panels for my wall of windows - everyone comments on them.

Desertdwelling
Modern Groupie

Postby Desertdwelling » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:35 pm

Really good prices at Decorative Fabrics Direct. They even have Crypton fabric at a decent price. I just sent away for some samples of their orange tweed.
http://stores.ebay.com/Decorative-Fabrics-Direct

Diane Bush
Modern Groupie

Postby Diane Bush » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:22 pm

I have a small but wonderful collection of barkcloth curtains for sale from the 40's, 50's and 60's.- dianebush@cox.net

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:18 pm

www.hartsfabric.com is also nice. They are in Santa Cruz and have a big selection of oilcloth, which can be fun and harder to find.

greenmod
Modern Socialite

Postby greenmod » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:06 pm

I go to LA to fabric shop a couple times a year. If you don't mind digging and hunting (half the fun - I say!) go to the LA garment district. E.9th and Wall is a good starting place. I just came home with some great 60's prints to recover two Dux and a Grete Jalk chair for less than $7/yard. You have to search, but I found several great 50s and 60s prints, plus some tiki. I saw Mondo Circles in at least 3 colorways for $5/yd.

Don't be afraid to bargain when fabric shopping in LA!

misslonelyhearts
Modern Groupie

Postby misslonelyhearts » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:17 pm

http://www.flickr.com/groups/vintagefabric/

For different cool pics/ideas...
It is hard to laugh at the need for beauty and romance, no matter how tasteless, even horrible, the results of that are. But it is easy to sigh. Few things are sadder than the truly monstrous.

BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Postby BAZ_MCM » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:08 pm

Mid Century Modernizing the modern world: http://atomicindy.com/

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”