Rare footage of Disneyland's first Circarama 360-degree film

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Rare footage of Disneyland's first Circarama 360-degree film

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4uDEXbdqTY&NR=1

I never knew they filmed Las Vegas in 360.

Actually, this documentary is full of interesting stuff. This segment goes into 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDvlHL4oR-c

Another discusses Darby O'Gill and the Little People.
"If we cannot imagine utopia--if we do not involve ourselves in imagining it--we are certain not to realize it." -- Judith Lewis, LA Weekly, September, 2002

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:08 pm

thank you so much for sharing.
i wonder where any of that original circarama footage is now?

also, great documentary - what an uber talented chap.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:23 pm

I'm guessing the film may still be in storage somewhere. In the late '90s Disneyland brought back America the Beautiful, the version that played in the early '70s.

Here's some footage of House of the Future I'd never seen before:

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoCCO3GKqWY

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVMAeSNZZz0

YouTube is full of old Disneyland footage. Tons of people are putting their old home movies online.
"If we cannot imagine utopia--if we do not involve ourselves in imagining it--we are certain not to realize it." -- Judith Lewis, LA Weekly, September, 2002

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Sun May 08, 2011 7:30 pm

Here's a picture of a new generation Flying Saucer being tested:

I believe this test was done many years ago--maybe as far back as the late-'90s. I recall hearing rumors of a new Flying Saucers attraction being considered for the Tomorrowland in Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom.

At any rate, this picture is from a film presentation about Imagineering, which was playing at Disney's California Adventure in late '09.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:15 am

The Flying Saucer technology has been incorporated into the new Cars Land at California Adventure. You can see it in this video starting at about 1:33:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKMy318mfek

This version appears a bit slower (though I never went on the original), maybe because the vehicles are somewhat bigger. Maybe people who remember the original Flying Saucers could comment. Obviously, this isn't a Tomorrowland attraction either.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:28 pm

have you been or riddenthem yet?

we are going on dapper day next month and hope to hit cars land.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Not yet. I haven't done the Little Mermaid ride ether.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:02 pm

we did little mermaid earlier this year - it was a lovely dark ride - a total treat! go to dapper day!

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:19 pm

Here's some pretty good home movie footage of early Tomorrowland and snippets of audio soundtracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... NX80CgeFiY

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... W6ZkAx-4yw

Notice there's an interesting and revealing view of Lookout Mountain (aka: Holiday Hill), predecessor to the Matterhorn.

As the story goes, Walt Disney's original idea was to put real snow on this modest-sized mound during the Xmas season (see: Bob Thomas's Walt Disney: An American Original). In recent years, artwork has been published depicting Lookout Mountain with snow, surrounded by gingerbread houses.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:32 pm

now they just rain "snow" down on the merry people of mainstreet.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:19 pm

I remember in the mid-'70s when part of Main St. was converted into a skating rink (it was made to look as if the street had frozen over), and Mickey and Minnie ice skated. I saw this on a holiday special. I don't know if it was ever performed live for guests. However, it was documented and pictured in the hardcover book that used to be sold @ Disneyland about the park's history. (The first edition was Disneyland: The First Quarter Century, a later edition commemorated 30 years, etc.)

I haven't experienced the "snow" falling on me at Disneyland, but when the Harry Potter theme park had its grand opening in Orlando, there was "snow" (some of which got on me and came home with me). Oh, and in one of the ride queues, ice particles that resemble snow fall on you and melt on you.)

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:43 pm

was the snow in FL soap bubbles, too?

we r headed to d-land tomorrow for a little r&r!

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:20 pm

The snow at the Harry Potter grand opening was just tiny pieces of tissue paper. The snow that falls on you in the queue is frozen ice. It's cold as it hits you, and melts fairly quickly.

The last time I was at DL, the old PeopleMover/Rocket Rods track was still up. It seemed to me it could've been used for additional planter beds, but maybe it's been demolished by now?
Last edited by I_LUV_POWER!!!! on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:46 am

looks like the tracks are still there. the support columns certainly are.
i recently learned, the peoplemover was from the old ford motorway 1964-65 worlds fair attraction!

tomorrowland really needs a face lift. after the jules verne fiasco years ago, the newer murals and everything left over that we love from the 1960s - it feels so very disjointed. but maybe that's what tomorrow brings?

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:37 am

In some ways, I think having an eclectic Tomorrowland could be a good approach. My own ideal view of the future would be one of diversity: what might work for one community/city may not work for everyone.

Some might like a future along the lines of what Walt Disney envisioned: monorails, PeopleMovers, underground waste processing via AVAC, underground postal services via pneumatic tubes (makes me think of Terry Gilliam's film Brazil), sewage treatment techniques along the lines of Walt Disney World's water hyacinths and stuff that Buckminster Fuller pursued (and which John Todd realized).

Indigenous people who want to return to traditional ways should be allowed to do so without having to worry about gov't construction codes (as have the Traditional Seminole in Central Fla).

Some people thrive in urban settings, others prefer the country. Some are turned on by Earthship homes (and tree house communities like this one: http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2012/09/ ... community/), but others aren't. So, in my opinion, there should be a wide array of choices.

Gene Roddenberry outlined such a future for Earth when working on the ill-fated 1970s TV revival of Star Trek, as described in this book: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/217689.Star_Trek.

That is not to say that Tomorrowland should be chaotic but perhaps divided into sections and/or there could be a ride similar to Horizons but depicting how different people envision the future. Nature thrives on diversity, and IMO, so can humans.

Presenting diverse perspectives on the future might prevent Tomorrowland from becoming dated as soon as it has in the past without having to rely as much on retro.

BTW, some years ago I posted concept art of unrealized concepts for Tomorrowland circa the '90s: http://www.myspace.com/170791086/photos ... bum/966082 The art was displayed in the Disney Gallery, which used to be above "Pirates."

And this other site focuses on unused ideas for the Carousel Theater before it was decided to turn it into Innoventions: http://tomorrowlounge.blogspot.com/2011 ... erica.html

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:25 am

Here's one of the presentations that was given last weekend at the Disney Expo. Tony Baxter and a co-host show very rare footage of bygone Disneyland attractions (e.g., Holidayland, Nature's Wonderland, Carousel of Progress, America Sings).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNqsGUtJZ1M

There are some related videos on YouTube about Disney Expo, including a tribute to Tony Baxter (he's going into semi-retirement). There was a lot of focus on Imagineering since this year marks the 60th anniversary of WED/WDI.

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”