Wedding at my house--details

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

Van
Modern Master

Wedding at my house--details

Postby Van » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:45 am

Before my wedding stuff takes over another thread, I thought I'd post some details here.

Decided to have it at our home (Cliff May) because nowhere I wanted to have it was worth the money (Hall of State, Filter Building at White Rock, etc). Right now we're spending most of our time getting the outside ready. Yard's in pretty good shape (but our st. augustine is mostly brown and patchy...too late to do anything about it I'm afraid) but still painting. March was unusually cold and rainy so we got really behind.

It's basically just going to be a swanky party...lots of food and drinks. My brother, a professional brewer, is making two different kinds of beer for us.

Same goes for the invitations--nothing I liked for the right price so I made my own. Please don't be too critical--I'm not a designer or know much about...is it still called desktop publishing? The originals look much better--I converted to jpg and resized to fit it on here--doesn't look very sharp.

Here's the Save the Date (emailed)

I printed the invitations on card stock w/ a color laser printer. Front and back. I just don't see the point in wasting all that paper for inner envelopes, rsvp cards, etc.
Front:

Back:

Envelopes

Website header:
(the background is clear)

Thank you card:
The aqua is off in this picture for some reason--it's actually the same color as the rest of the designs.

Envelopes

I'll link to pictures when I have them!

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:03 pm

Sharp-looking stationery--it melds perfectly well with your home and, no doubt, will match your mod-awesome wedding too!

Only problem is your address is blurred out...so I'm not sure where I should be at 6 pm on April 30th. :wink:
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner
Perkins Realty Group

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:22 am

Thanks Perks!
That'd be a long way to travel to crash a wedding! \:D/

Got the coasters in--I'm really happy with them. I didn't need custom coasters in particular but I couldn't find any decent looking disposable coasters.

Also got the envelopes in for the thank you cards and a bit disappointed becuase the pattern is so light the envelope almost looks like a regular one. I guess that's the problem with ordering online. The "Azure" ones I used for the invitations looked really good though.

I used Katharine Hepburn stamps for the invitations and Latin Music Legends stamps for the thank you cards (minus Selena and Celia Cruz). I didn't really see any other stamps I liked--especially the wedding ones.

hannah
Modern Socialite

Postby hannah » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:48 pm

Congratulations!!! :cheers:

Love the invitations! Those are the colors in my new home (orange in the LR, and aqua in the kitchen)!! Good taste, mate. :wink:

Nice design and really like the fonts. Did you get the image off an invitation site? I was looking at retro party invitations for when we have our homes 'coming out' party after it's all painted, decorated, etc. Found some great retro ones much like yours.
It may not look like it, but at the molecular level I'm actually quite busy.

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:50 pm

Thanks!

hannah wrote:Did you get the image off an invitation site?

No, they are photoshop brushes and shapes found on deviantart.com and other sites that I can't remember now.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:30 am

"not a designer"

HA

some people are creative, some are not. you are. your invitations look great!

can't wait to see the photos and have a wonderful wedding day.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

let them eat cake

Postby sky » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:28 am

I was at a wedding last weekend, and the wedding cake was made from tiers of cup cakes. I guess this is not too uncommon today, but it was new to me and I thought it was brilliant.

So ... what are you going to do about a modern cake?

And congratulations!

------

Addendum: The google ad on this page also quite amazing. As soon as I posted this, it showed three ads for wedding cakes, including one for a cupcake tower.

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:34 am

No cake. I'm not a big fan of cake and neither is my fiance. We're having bite-sized desserts. Including baklava!

It's not a traditional wedding at all. No bridal party/groomsmen, no bouquet, no aisle, etc, etc.

And thanks Joe and Sky!

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Fri May 13, 2011 7:34 am

So ... how was the wedding?

Did you do the traditional smushing of the baklava in each others faces?

Did the groom wear one of those swell Prince William/Sgt. Pepper jackets? (I'm going to get me one of those, but in a brighter red and with a lot more bling.)

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Mon May 16, 2011 9:40 am

It went well, overall. Very stressful in the morning b/c that's when I found out his mother had run the dishwasher the night before with liquid dish soap. Water all over and the inside was sudtastic. I had to do at least 3 more loads of dishes (we used real dishes for the party) so panic mode set in. Took me hours to get everything cleaned up. So really put us behind and we weren't able to go out and do wedding portraits. So the photographer took some pictures of us at our house and a few in the park nearby. Was very very disappointed about that but nothing I can do now about it.

Right before the ceremony was to start, it started pouring. We waited about 30 mins and then just decided to have it inside. As soon as we both kissed, it stopped raining so we were able to have the party outside...thank goodness--55 people in a 1,300 sf house is a bit much...and hot.

Haha--no smooshing of any desserts. The baklava was great though--made with my dad's honey.

I don't have any of the pictures from the wedding/party yet (different photographer--he used a digital camera) but I have a few preview photos from the portraits (film). Here's one:

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon May 16, 2011 1:24 pm

congrats Van, looks like a unique event. 55 people in your home, wow!

carmenjames
Modern Fan

Re: Wedding at my house--details

Postby carmenjames » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:48 am

Van wrote:Before my wedding stuff takes over another thread, I thought I'd post some details here.

Decided to have it at our home (Cliff May) because nowhere I wanted to have it was worth the money (Hall of State, Filter Building at White Rock, etc). Right now we're spending most of our time getting the outside ready. Yard's in pretty good shape (but our st. augustine is mostly brown and patchy...too late to do anything about it I'm afraid) but still painting. March was unusually cold and rainy so we got really behind.

It's basically just going to be a swanky party...lots of food and drinks. My brother, a professional brewer, is making two different kinds of beer for us.

Same goes for the invitations--nothing I liked for the right price so I made my own. Please don't be too critical--I'm not a designer or know much about...is it still called desktop publishing? The originals look much better--I converted to jpg and resized to Paris shuttle transfers fit it on here--doesn't look very sharp.

Here's the Save the Date (emailed)

I printed the invitations on card stock w/ a color laser printer. Front and back. I just don't see the point in wasting all that paper for inner envelopes, rsvp cards, etc.
Front:

Back:

Envelopes

Website header:
(the background is clear)

Thank you card:
The aqua is off in this picture for some reason--it's actually the same color as the rest of the designs.

Envelopes

I'll link to pictures when I have them!

Congratulations!!! Cheers! Love the invitations!

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”