Mattel's Upsy Downsys (1970) retro now online

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Mattel's Upsy Downsys (1970) retro now online

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Sun May 01, 2011 1:40 pm

UPDATE:

http://upsydownsyland.com/

13+ years of research. Includes numerous interviews with veteran toy designers. Most emphasis is on Upsy Downsys, but other topics include: memories of working at Mattel in the late '60s-early '70s, detailed biographies of numerous Mattel alumni, and some discussion about Liddle Kiddles that were never made. Additions to the site are already in the works.

The registration fee goes to expenses for the site and Native American projects (e.g., organic gardens, community/cultural programs, habitat restoration).

Thank you.

--------Original message: ----------

I am hoping to learn more about an illustrator who did work through Mattel (and/or possibly Western Publishing) in 1970.

The person did a series of books for Mattel, published by Western. Here are a few of them:

The artist always put an "H" on the book covers, and I have some reason to believe it may have been an artist named Haikada and might have resided here in Los Angeles.

Any info. or suggestions for approaching this would be hugely appreciated. This is for an important project of mine.

Thank you!!
Last edited by I_LUV_POWER!!!! on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"If we cannot imagine utopia--if we do not involve ourselves in imagining it--we are certain not to realize it." -- Judith Lewis, LA Weekly, September, 2002

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue May 03, 2011 4:42 pm

You may want to try these folks:

http://www.scbwi.org/

Ah-hem, er, Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators, kind of an ugly acronym, eh?

You might try Dan Yaccarino, it's a long shot, but he's probably the best children's illustrator when it comes to retro, or emulating that vintage look. He did a book about Jacques Cousteau that looks super cool, he's a really nice guy too as I met him once:

http://www.thaolam.com/blog/?p=565

Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Fri May 06, 2011 12:39 pm

Thank you very much!!! I'll try both venues!
"If we cannot imagine utopia--if we do not involve ourselves in imagining it--we are certain not to realize it." -- Judith Lewis, LA Weekly, September, 2002

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue May 10, 2011 7:30 pm

maybe you should put upsy downsy dolls and mattel in the subject matter to get more eyes on the topic?

you know i am a TOTAL upsy downsy fan!!! what is your secret project? can you tell?
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Wed May 11, 2011 12:18 pm

In the coming months a website devoted to Upsy Downsys (and some of the Liddle Kiddles) will be coming online. It will represent 10 years of research, including interviews with the designers.

There will also be pages with fan memories and fan art. So far, it's just my memories and memories of one other person. And so far the only fan art is stuff I've done over the last 34 years. Hopefully work by others will surface.

The website will continue to grow once it's up.

The site is intended to be a fundraiser for Honor the Earth. (I believe Native Americans are at the vanguard of environmental stewardship and restoration and set good examples. Here are some of their projects: http://www.honorearth.org/energy-justice/pilot-projects .) However, people who contribute to the site in terms of help/information/content will not be expected to donate. Donations will be on a sliding scale.

As the website gets closer to completion, I'll be talking about it a lot more.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu May 12, 2011 10:17 am

cool. i still have a couple of the really really little kiddles myself. one is in a purple pin.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu May 12, 2011 10:17 am

Hey, try this guy:

http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/

Ren & Stimpy's dad:

He's SUPER pedantic when it comes to illustration and really knows his $#!+.
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Thu May 12, 2011 6:26 pm

THANKS!!! I'll pursue that as well!

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu May 19, 2011 12:07 pm

Hey-

Slim and I are still unpacking, but somewhere in my stuff is a complete Kiddles house I got for....0.25! I couldn't leave it to go to the dump pile from the thrift.

I loved kiddles, and not most other dolls. I used to get them before we went on a trip as something to fiddle around with a keep quiet.
My favorite had green hair.

PM us, and we'll get it to you if you want...someday.

Gabby

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Fri May 20, 2011 5:26 pm

THANK YOU!!!

The green-haired one is Luscious Lime and came in a "bottle" of lime-flavored soda. I still have that one.

There were some great Kiddles like the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland (I wish I still had that one), the crocodile that came with Peter Pan, the Kozmic Kiddles, and so many more.

I thought this at the time, and I still think so now: that was a great period for toys (especially for Mattel: Upsy Downsys, Liddle Kiddles, the original Trolls, the Matt Mason collection, Creepy Crawlers, and on and on).

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:43 pm

UPDATE:

http://upsydownsyland.com/

13+ years of research. Includes numerous interviews with veteran toy designers. Most emphasis is on Upsy Downsys, but other topics include: memories of working at Mattel in the late '60s-early '70s, detailed biographies of numerous Mattel alumni, and some discussion about Liddle Kiddles that were never made. Additions to the site are already in the works.

The registration fee goes to expenses for the site and Native American projects (e.g., organic gardens, community/cultural programs, habitat restoration).

Thank you.

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”