See-through 1940 Pontiac

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

scowsa
Modern Guru

See-through 1940 Pontiac

Postby scowsa » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:11 pm

Apparently, GM built two – possibly three – transparent cars for the New York World’s Fair of 1939-1940, one of which was a Deluxe seven-window touring sedan (B-body), the other of which was a Torpedo five-window touring sedan (C-body). It’s the touring sedan (B-body) we see here.

On the chassis of a 1939 Pontiac Deluxe Six, GM collaborated with Rohm & Haas, the chemical company that had recently developed Plexiglas. The world’s first transparent acrylic sheet product, Plexiglas was a serendipitous discovery arising from Rohm & Haas’ work with laminated safety glass.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2011/06/07/the-tin-indian-that-wasnt-rm-to-offer-see-through-pontiac/
scowsa

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:36 pm

In my opinion one of the most totally boss cars ever built! Being a body guy, I think you would either have scratches, polish out, or complete replacement of any panel, uff da!

Here's a Bulova Accutron along those same lines, BTW, they were first sold in 1960:

If you know anything about these watches you'd know they use a miniature tuning-fork as the motor for the watch: they sound like a mosquito, and in a very quiet room you'll find yourself wondering what that sound is until you remember...
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:25 pm

I wanted one of those so bad when I was a kid. I remember dragging my mom into a jewelry store to show her. I think I tried to do chores to save up for one. Knowing my mom, I doubt she ever paid enough to get me close. I think I gave up a settled for a transistor radio.

(by the way, still waiting for the report on the new digs)

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”