Family Life in Palm Springs - Is it fit for a child?

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

STLModern
Modern Master

Family Life in Palm Springs - Is it fit for a child?

Postby STLModern » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:33 pm

I'm considering a job in Palm Springs. We have a six month old boy. Is the quaility of life for children and schools good in Palm Springs? I've done some researching but wanted to get peoples point of view from here.

Thanks,
Dan

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:47 pm

Paul Kaplan regularly pops up this site, sharing Palm Springs MCM related events and MCM houses for sale.

http://www.paulkaplanrealtor.com/

Why not get in touch with direct rather than wait for him to visit the site?
scowsa

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:13 am

there are jobs in palm springs?

sorry i had to say it :-0
it's a pretty chilled out place to live. there are nice people who live there and you just 2 hours from cool stuff to do in l.a.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

spinsLPs
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby spinsLPs » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:29 pm

I have a couple of friends who grew up in Palm Springs. They couldn't wait to get the hell out of there. It's probably fine for a child, but for a teen it's no-wheres-ville.

But on the positive side, it would be cool to have someone to visit when I'm out in P.S.!

The Mod Jetsetter
Modern Fan

Postby The Mod Jetsetter » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:15 pm

My wife and I live in PS. We're both professionals, she works locally, I telecommute. While we don't have children, I can say the quality of life here is great, and that's not just from the martinis!

PS is a odd mix. We have snowbirds here during "season" (Nov-May). We have weekenders out of LA who leave their 2nd homes here empty much of the time.

Yet there is an underlying small town feel that is really great. Just last night, we had our Holiday lights parade with 80K local spectators.

I've lived in several West Coast cities (Seattle, Bay Area), and have loved them all. Yet I've never felt at home more than in Palm Springs. We quickly became involved with issues we care about, and in just three years here, I now sit on both my neighborhood board as well as the board of the local preservation foundation.

There are other cities in the Coachella Valley as well, each with its own personality and demographics... But I specifically wanted to live in Palm Springs for the architecture and fell in love with the city as a whole.

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:08 am

TMJ,

Thank you for your input. I'm waiting to hear about a job in Coachella Valley. I also applied for a job in Redlands. Although both are a commute, we will definitely live in PS if we move out there.

My Wife and I have been to PS three times now and love the atmospere of the architecture and people. My only worry is for my son (currently 6 months). I want him to be raised in a good enviornment.

Thanks,
Dan

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:59 am

I go to palm springs every summer (time share) the place is vertually our second home. We love the hot weather, we as in my wife and two girls 8&12.
Until your child is a teen and want out (only because its boring) I don't think you need to worry about a single thing. My girls look forward to palm springs every summer, they love the mountains the palm trees and the pool. If you need to see the ocean from time to time just shoot out to LA on the weekend and make it a nice family short getaway.

If your kid is use to playing outside in the backyard in the summer PS may be a bit of an adjustment during the summer as the average temps are between 109-111 and 118-120 at its hotest. So your child my need to be kept in for the most part. If you can get a spot with a pool that will be a big +
"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”