Ed "Big Daddy" Roth museum?

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Ed "Big Daddy" Roth museum?

Postby nichols » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:35 am

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth, creator of Rat Fink: A son remembers
Darryl Roth has a large collection of his Kustom Kulture hot rod building and designing father Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth's work; he'd like to see it in a museum.

By Nate Jackson, Los Angeles Times
December 27, 2011

"Between the late 1950s and the mid-1960s, Ed Roth was what famed journalist Tom Wolfe described as the Salvador Dali of the hot rod world. Roth helped pioneer Southern California's Kustom Kulture — a flamboyant style of hot rod building that relied on fiberglass rather than metal and reveled in flames, pin striping and exposed chrome engines — then marketed it through his artwork and accessories.

His character Rat Fink, a sort of grotesque version of Mickey Mouse, became shorthand for cool..."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... 7407.story

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:36 am

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:06 pm

The Movie World museum in Buena Park (originally it was called Movie World--Cars of Stars, Planes of Fame and then became Movie World: A World of Fun) was my introduction to Roth as well.

I believe he did signage there as well as at Knott's, and he helped restore Robby the Robot's moon rover.
"If we cannot imagine utopia--if we do not involve ourselves in imagining it--we are certain not to realize it." -- Judith Lewis, LA Weekly, September, 2002

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”