99/1% stigma?

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

triviacompanion
Modern Groupie

99/1% stigma?

Postby triviacompanion » Tue May 01, 2012 6:30 pm

In my bumbling around the net, for all things retro/jazz-like I had a fleeting thought..

Is this style sort of associated with the top 1% these days?

You know, the big, expensive lobbies, open spaces, and high end cocktail parties.. might seem sort of elitist?

Of course, they don't *need* to be.. but thats another story.. I'm talking about perception, not actual reality.

Thoughts?
http://triviacompanion.com/ - Jet-set & Jazzy bachelor pad music

scowsa
Modern Guru

Re: 99/1% stigma?

Postby scowsa » Wed May 02, 2012 2:47 pm

triviacompanion wrote:Is this style sort of associated with the top 1% these days?

What exactly are you thinking about when you refer to " this style"?
scowsa

triviacompanion
Modern Groupie

Re: 99/1% stigma?

Postby triviacompanion » Wed May 02, 2012 4:18 pm

scowsa wrote:What exactly are you thinking about when you refer to " this style"?

Modern, mid-century modern living. (the music, the buildings, the art, the style)

Basically the stuff this board seems to talk about.

I should point out, I'm not making an assertion, it's more of a question.
http://triviacompanion.com/ - Jet-set & Jazzy bachelor pad music

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu May 03, 2012 9:16 am

Note that the busiest thread on this board is "Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes" and if you browse that you will find folks living in, and renovating, a wide range of MCM homes.

Many of these houses are in the 1200 -- 1500 sq ft range, so not really the places with "big, expensive lobbies" and where "high end cocktail parties" are held. :)
scowsa

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu May 03, 2012 2:41 pm

Not that some of us 99%ers don't have cocktails..(at least those us who have not had so many that we are now in program)

My problem with describing MCM as a style is that it kind of misses the whole point. Sort of like calling being gay a lifestyle. Modern is about less is more. It has roots in Frank Lloyd Wright's work, connecting the indoors with outdoors. Cliff May once said that if you cannot step outside from any room in your house, you were not living in California. We are now far enough removed from the middle of the 20th century that a lot of the "stuff" is now collectable. But there was enough of it that it is still affordable. Enough so that the set designer for Mad Men can work from thrift store stock.

What seems to be elitist about now is having an arts education. With that comes some taste (hopefully)

I'd leave style to the fashion world, even though interior design is related to that. But architecture that is based on "style" is usually really bad. (unless one is really doing something truely historical)
Last edited by egads on Fri May 04, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri May 04, 2012 12:28 am

although there is a certain 1% elite sense to the super "high-end" pedigreed Modernism, I think it actually has a more mainstream adopted sensibility. E.G. I think of my rockabilly friends who also dig sinatra and vintage chairs, etc. and they would not be defined as the 1%.

The crossover covers a much larger audience. The fact that WalMart and Target and other mainstream and cross country discount stores often include Modernist sensible products tells me Modernism is much more mainstream. It's just that even though people might not know the designer names of what is being knocked off, they still dig the stuff.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Postby babyblue65bird » Fri May 04, 2012 9:50 am

The 1% are the people that knock down Lloyd Wright houses to put up faux Tuscan villas.
Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Tue May 15, 2012 8:36 pm

SoftSupply wrote:The 1% are the people that knock down Lloyd Wright houses to put up faux Tuscan villas.

This..^^

Outside of some selective pieces i.e. Eames lounge chair/ Barcelona furniture etc MCM isn't excessive enough to catch much attention as a whole amongst the 1%ers. Mid Century Modern is more a niche interest for those who simply appreciates it.
"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat May 19, 2012 8:53 pm

Modernism brought good design to the masses. there are elitists in every era. not related.

triviacompanion wrote:... I'm talking about perception, not actual reality.

I believe that's the biggest problem with this thread. If you choose to swallow what pop culture feeds you, well, then that's what you're gonna believe.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat May 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Joe wrote:If you choose to swallow what pop culture feeds you, well, then that's what you're gonna believe.

That is so true in sooo many arenas... not just pop culture.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”