MCM related videos on Getty Museum site

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

scowsa
Modern Guru

MCM related videos on Getty Museum site

Postby scowsa » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:34 pm

Finally made it to the Getty's " Overdrive: L.A. Constructs the Future, 1940 - 1990", which is part of Pacific Standard Time Presents: Modern Architecture in L.A. Closes next Sat so if you are in LA I would recommend that you don't miss it.

There are many animated displays and videos included and I wanted to see if I could track one down on the Web. Discovered that they all on the Getty's own YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdcw4RhcVX8vScPcfT0_ZXj9DvwHtNY65

Here are the MCM-ish titles:

Capitol Records: Engineering an Icon (Modern Architecture in Los Angeles)
David C. Martin on Three Generations of the A.C. Martin Firm (Modern Architecture in Los Angeles)

Victor Newlove on L.A. Car Culture (Modern Architecture in Los Angeles)

Victor Newlove on Googie Architecture (Modern Architecture in Los Angeles)

Ron Frank on Midcentury Furniture Design (Modern Architecture in Los Angeles)

Richard Bradshaw on the Construction of LAX (Modern Architecture in Los Angeles)

Martin Brower on Welton Becket & Associates (Modern Architecture in Los Angeles)

Julius Shulman's L.A. Stories (Modern Architecture in Los Angeles)

John McIlwee on Living in Lautner's Garcia House (Modern Architecture in Los Angeles)

Lakewood Center: The Core of a Community (Modern Architecture in Los Angeles)

Lakewood: "The Future City as New as Tomorrow" (Modern Architecture in Los Angeles)

Case Study House Program: Realized Designs, Part 1 (Modern Architecture in Los Angeles)

Case Study House Program: Realized Designs, Part 2 (Modern Architecture in Los Angeles)

Baldwin Hills Village, 1942-1950 (Modern Architecture in Los Angeles)
scowsa

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:53 pm

Thanks for the report.
We'd like to hit this next time we're in town. how much time you think you need to really give it a good visit?
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:49 pm

Futura Girl wrote:Thanks for the report.
We'd like to hit this next time we're in town. how much time you think you need to really give it a good visit?

You missed that it "Closes next Sat"

As to how much time, it's good 90 min plus, depending on much you already know about the development of LA as a city. I have read most of the Kevin Starr books on CA history so have a good awareness.

As you saw in the video list, MCM is strongly represented.
scowsa

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:15 pm

yikes - i sure did.
oh well, at least i still have time to see the hammer Jones exhibit...
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”